Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

drx-Sacrilegev4e.zip

(Hopefully This time for sure) Final version with outside area revamped as well as ammo, monsters & secrets re-balanced across the board.

UV-Speed and UV-Max demos included.

Edit: updated to 4e, fixed automap and other tiny adjustments.

Edited by Darox : Updated to v4e

28 minutes ago, ShadesMaster said:

I'm interested - if I may, I'll take MAP28's slot.

No claiming of specific slots (aside from the secret levels).

@Aquila Chrysaetos i gave a quick look at your new map, and while it's quite small and has a low monster count, it makes it up with a high difficulty, i liked it. That said, i think i'll insist too on adding a way back to the arena, simply slipping or not landing on the arena is a certain death, and it makes the encounter feel cheap, specially if you fall with a ton of health. Maybe you could add a small platform as a lift back up, or a teleporter. Another small detail i might add it's that you used a lot of decorations on the ceiling, and it shows on the automap, you could hide those lines to make for a cleaner automap, really minor stuff so don't listen to me on that if you don't want to. Other than that i liked it, it's good stuff. When i tested your map i typed idmus since i really dislike D_RUNNIN and i thought that 'Adrian's Asleep' fits your map well, but maybe another midi could be used

Btw i found out that the archvile can throw you into the windows

Spoiler

TEnZxXl.png

Anyway, i updated my map fixing the damaging dirt floors and moving the plasma much earlier but making ammo for it more scarse and a couple of other small changes. Let me know what you guys think.

I added the link to the new version to the original post too

caina_v2.zip

1 minute ago, DMPhobos said:

That said, i think i'll insist too on adding a way back to the arena

No. I'm adamant about that.

I'll clean up the automap some more in the next update.

I also know that the vile can throw you into the windows because he did that to me before I put the impassible lines there and I flew into the dirt area with no way out.

If Adrian's Asleep works, then use that one. I don't care, as long as it isn't Running From Evil.

EDIT: Outdated, see new post

Blood Forest - eg_inf.zip
Most inspired by: Slough of Despair
Build time: ~2 weeks
Music: "Lure" by LewkForce
Co-op: Limited, some added items/health/monsters but untested
DM: Starts, probably sucks
Demo: Someone make one? (Assuming no issues in need of fixing first)

bloodforest.png.552056ef8fe24a7223f4022f1b37a794.png

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER : outdated

Tartarus v0.2

Cooperative support, untested.

DM support, untested.

Cleaned up the automap.

@DMPhobos

Caina-AC

PRBoom+ 2.5.1.5, complevel 2, UV-100K

This map speaks for itself. It's good.

Only problem I noticed was the unpegged GSTONE texture in the blue skull room when the closets opened.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

drx-Tartarus-FDA.zip

I cheesed the archvile and the cyberdemon is just kind of nothing once you're done with that arena. He can't really hurt you unless you mess up and is in a slightly awkward position. The actual arena fight is neat and probably even more interesting with the archvile alive. I hate inescapable pits on principle though, I don't think it adds anything to the fight to not have escape teleporters. With a 20% hurtfloor it's not like you can cheese it from down there and you'll probably die anyway, but making it escapable makes it feel more like part of the challenge instead of a punishment. "I fell in the pit but escaped with <10% health and went on to survive the map" is a much better experience than "I fell in the pit, time to quickload".

Blood Forest FDA (PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3) Urth_eg_inf.zip

I only played HMP, but Inferno tends to apply more pressure than this. Either restricting your resources, limiting your freedom of movement with damaging liquids or using tighter spaces, or just throwing more traps at you. I'd be tempted to scale the entire map down by 50%, adjust thing positions and choke point according and see if it felt more engaging.

I would also adjust the textures in many areas, as they can be very painful to look at in chocolate doom.

10 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Which ones, specifically?

The wide open areas full of noisy textures like red rock, flesh, and cracked yellow rock.

Edited by bonnie

34 minutes ago, bonnie said:

I would also adjust the textures in many areas, as they can be very painful to look at in chocolate doom.

Which ones, specifically?  I was testing it in vanilla and didn't see any problem though I wouldn't be surprised if there are sloppy alignments still.

38 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Blood Forest FDA (PrBoom+ complevel 2 skill 3) Urth_eg_inf.zip

I only played HMP, but Inferno tends to apply more pressure than this. Either restricting your resources, limiting your freedom of movement with damaging liquids or using tighter spaces, or just throwing more traps at you. I'd be tempted to scale the entire map down by 50%, adjust thing positions and choke point according and see if it felt more engaging.

UV should have less health available than HMP, but yeah, you're probably right about the size being too big and empty in some places.  I'll see if I can restructure it some.

Good work Ettingrinder!!!! Yeah, since slots can change perhaps maps with similar inspiration can untimately end up in the same 'hub' of the pack. My slot doesn't matter to me so much but a bit earlier I wouldn't mind, tbh. I'm assuming the players will keep weapons across maps but I DO have intended pickups so it's still playable from a pistol start.

6 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Tartarus v0.2

Cooperative support, untested.

DM support, untested.Cleaned up the automap.

Did a max. (For pure speed, one would bullrush the cyb with two suicidal BFG shots and hope for the best, since it sometimes thinks it's doing a pacifist run.) 

Some areas of concern: 

- The cyb is theoretically an 'overseer' that applies pressure at various stages as you loop around to it, but the abundance of small tunnels and the lack of opposition inside them, coupled with the cyb's limited influence past the spectre fight, leave that gimmick lacking.

- The floor insets make basic movement throughout the map slippery and awkward. The black sand flat on its own with no bordering arguably would look better.

- Water is first introduced in the middle of a hectic fight, meaning no signposting that it's a damaging floor, and the damage it does can easily go unnoticed while so much else is going on.

Link removed. PM me if you want v0.3.

Thanks, @rdwpa for your demo. Very nice run.

I raised the sand floors 6 units, because I still think it looks nice, but it shouldn't impede movement much.

That water doesn't do damage anymore.

I really did want the cyber to be a more credible threat, but the way I built that first room means without some of those walls, visplane and drawseg overflows happen. I rather like his placement now, being in between you and the exit once you get past the only real fight, so that's why I haven't changed it.

I've been told that there's talk on Discord of tossing this map because of the blood pit in the second room. If that's true, tell me here. I'd rather it wasn't true, but if it is, then confirm it for me and I'll withdraw completely.

Edit: The above is now irrelevant. It was explained to me that there was a discussion on Discord about my map, but no one thought to post here in the event that I didn't have a Discord account, which I don't.

@bonnie, in response, I am withdrawing from the project.

Thanks to everyone who tested my maps, but now it seems the efforts were in vain.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

@bonnie

If it is still open, I'd love to take that secret map slot, map31.

13 minutes ago, Garbage said:

Why is my map removed from the list? Have I been kicked out of the project?

i knew it!!! i frickin knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!

i knew somebody's map disappeared!!

i got so concerned a few days ago when we suddenly grew a new slot

i must have accidentally deleted yours with someone else's, but i'll put it back now :D

29 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

If it is still open, I'd love to take that secret map slot, map31.

...would you at all be willing to take a regular slot instead? we may or may not have a map31 currently and can definitely use some more regular maps. if not, i'll see what i can do for you friend c:

I haven't posted this on the thread but I'm also withdrawing from the project. I'm looking forward to playing most people's maps though, gl all.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

...would you at all be willing to take a regular slot instead? we may or may not have a map31 currently and can definitely use some more regular maps. if not, i'll see what i can do for you friend c:

Yeah, sure I can make a regular map for now, I'll choose a slot, but if I could have a secret map I'd prefer to take that.

however I won't let that prevent me from starting work, glad to contribute

Alrighty folks, here's the final version (for now!)

Blood Slough: http://www.mediafire.com/file/l29drklqch66a2j/shadesInfernew.wad/file

Most inspired by: E3M2, followed by E3M3 than E4M2

Build time: 2 days

Music (if known): Not implemented, but intends "Donna to the Rescue"

Coop support: Yes

DM support: Yes

Description: Right now sits in MAP28 slot, but that's temporary. A tough-as-nails battle of contrition through a canyon, with shifting walls and big, bad demons.

Demo: None yet, but soon!

If i can't get the secret slot, i'll do 29 then.

Version 2 of my map - now with deathmatch implementation. And a name.

mfg_infernew_v2.zip

UPDATED VERSION: mfg_infernew_v3.zip

Edited by MFG38

9 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

If i can't get the secret slot, i'll do 29 then.

As I understand it, there's no need to reserve a map slot because Bonnie plans to reorder the maps once they're all complete (based on some heretofore unknown plot/map difficulty/some other rationale).

You could try to design your map to take the penultimate map slot (through length and difficulty, most likely), but there would be no guarantees of the map's placement, as far as I know.

Name: Twin Serpents
Inspired by: E3M3, E3M4, E3M8, E3M9
Build time: 64 Hours
Music: E2M6
Coop support: limited
DM support: limited
Description (optional): An experiment. I was bored.
Demo: None yet.

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114436.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180731_114610.png

Edited by JustCallMeKaito

1 hour ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

Name: Twin Serpents
Inspired by: E3M3, E3M4, E3M8, E3M9

Hooray! Someone finally made a map that drew inspiration from Dis.

Quick question, due to the styling of the maps, would Ep. 4 also be valid as a base for inspiration? i always though E4 was very similar to E3

quite frankly i've been having a lot of trouble doing placement lately and i don't think i'll be able to complete that. this is just at an inopportune time where shit hits the fan and i don't really have motivation to figure out how this'll work.

the best i can do at this time is send over what i have. the map's essentially done, the only things missing are some mechanical features and of course, the placement. below is a detailed diagram of plans i had and points of interest.

Spoiler

mapplan.png.aec5f5a7ca05e4c8fc446e7fd4f34c69.png

bottom left corner- crusher hallway

• skullkey denoted by '3' symbol, red Xed off areas are monster closets that open up, red dots are teleport ambush monsters that come in from the back. crushers do not activate until key is picked up.

northern section of map- lots of arrows and confusing symbols

• skullkeys denoted by '1' and '2' symbols, 1 is obtained by running up staircase, pillars rise as player runs up, trapping them in. at top of staircase platform that leads to key rises. once key is stepped on, teleport ambush occurs from monsters hidden in blue-crossed sector. method of escape would be a switch located at the top of the staircase, forcing the player to run up again amidst chaos.

• skullkey 2 is obtained by entering the building on the northeastern section of the map. 2 'pressure plates' are on either side of the room, one of them lowers the sector that the key is on, allowing it to be taken. the other one is a trap and activates a yet-unplaced monster closet, noted by the arrow.

• there's a weird little staircase by key #2 that i still don't know the purpose of, i'd imagine it'd give you a weapon but set off a trap in return.

general map placements:

• the 2 lines around the center of the map, when crossed, would activate 'pop-up monsters' in the player's path to keep things fresh. the lime arrow on the right is a teleport path. the green circle in the middle of the map is where a weapon would be, perhaps a chaingun, that could either activate a teleport trap or a monster closet ambush (not sure how the latter would work)

• the pink arrow pointing up is a lift.

• the purple arrow on the eastern end of the map is actually a section that isn't finished yet, it would just be a tiny cave room with a 3-key door leading to the exit.

sorry that i couldn't get this map out, yet alone 2 or 3, but it seems the slots filled up pretty nicely regardless. shit happens and sometimes you just gotta deal with stuff for a time, not worrying about this stuff. on this note i'm probably taking a break from doomworld for a while, but i'll be back.

Download the unfinished WAD