Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(Private alphas in progress) Infernew, a Community Project

11 minutes ago, sarge945 said:

I am so bad at the original game (Chocolate Doom) and am so used to playing on GZDoom, that I am having a lot of trouble completing my map for demo purposes :(

You could always ask someone else in the thread to record it for you.  That's what I'm hoping to have happen since, like you, I prefer to use GZDoom for playing even vanilla wads and would prefer not to stumble through on a more primitive sourceport for recording a demo.  (I'm using prboom-plus to look at architecture in-game and using Visplane Explorer to check for vanilla compatibility, though.)

28 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

You could always ask someone else in the thread to record it for you.  That's what I'm hoping to have happen since, like you, I prefer to use GZDoom for playing even vanilla wads and would prefer not to stumble through on a more primitive sourceport for recording a demo.  (I'm using prboom-plus to look at architecture in-game and using Visplane Explorer to check for vanilla compatibility, though.)

Yeah, would be good. I don't use those fancy tools, I just run through the game in chocolate doom with iddqd to make sure there are no vanilla engine issues.

If anyone feels like recording a demo for me, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Edited by sarge945

On 7/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, Garbage said:

parabola.wad.zip

early version of my map, has all required player starts (coop + dm) but no multiplayer implication and has some difficulty implication

Feel free to voice your opinions, I'm still working on it

Overall a very good map! I have completed it on HMP and UV at 100%, and here are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Ammo is placed almost perfectly. Just as I am about to run out, I find some more. It may be a tiny bit on the low side though, as I had to use my fists a few times. This would have been a con if I had not been given the berserk.

- Good use of flesh textures

- Feels very E3

- Good difficulty for a start-game style map. Relatively easy, and pretty short. I am also putting this under cons, because if it was not intended then it's too short and too easy

- Good secrets. Not obvious, not ridiculous.

Cons:

- Some of the areas/hallways are a little bland, especially near the blue key. Some light sources and texture variations would fix them right up. This is a WIP, so obviously a lack of detail in some places is to be expected, and that's fine.

- You can cheese the Mancubus through the Blue door really easily, I think he needs a slight placement change. You can easily shoot him from the angle you come in at, and he can't return fire without hitting a wall, making him pretty harmless.

- Good difficulty for a start-game style map. Relatively easy, and pretty short. I am also putting this under pros, because if it was intended then it's the perfect length and difficulty for an early game map.

- A little bit too much HP/defense. I got the soulsphere, berserk, and blue armor, all in the space of 20 seconds, and didn't really have to pay for it by having a large battle or defeating a tougher enemy. Maybe change the blue armor to green armor, and move the berserk.

That's all! I hope this criticism is fair, and I hope it has been helpful.

@sarge945 I had a few issues with recording / different ports so I ended up playing through your map 4 times and I really like it. It's a chill map with good amount of challenge. It fits the bill well with it's relatively size and length. Here's a demo recorded in Chocolate Doom 3.0.0. I'll record demos in Chocolate Doom for anyone who needs them.

FortressUVvrt.zip

Edit: Also, I don't know when I was smoking when I said there was too much shotgun ammo. The balance is fine.

16 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

@sarge945 I had a few issues with recording / different ports so I ended up playing through your map 4 times and I really like it. It's a chill map with good amount of challenge. It fits the bill well with it's relatively size and length. Here's a demo recorded in Chocolate Doom 3.0.0. I'll record demos in Chocolate Doom for anyone who needs them.

FortressUVvrt.zip

Wow thanks!!!! That's high praise!

Ironic to get a wad review from you now, since I was just looking at your "I'll review your wads" thread.

I will check out this demo, and will most likely update the original archive posted here to contain it, and add you to the readme.txt file

EDIT: Demo has been added to the original archive. Thanks! That 33% secrets found tho :)

Edited by sarge945

On 7/7/2018 at 11:08 AM, Garbage said:

parabola.wad.zip

early version of my map, has all required player starts (coop + dm) but no multiplayer implication and has some difficulty implication

Feel free to voice your opinions, I'm still working on it

The map is decent but the combat is pretty one dimensional. It's not that it's too easy or too hard but rather that you're shooting down a corridor at a group of enemies most of the time. If you could spice the combat up a bit by forcing some player movement that'd be a big plus IMO. I agree with @sarge945 that this would make a good early map in the megawad.

Here's my FDA: ParabolaFDAvrt.zip

Alright, I've changed the concept and now my map is pretty much 100% inspired by Limbo. About 15% done so far, should be done fairly soon.

This is the bare-boned 15% of the map done so far:

barbon.png

Edited by NaZa : added the layout

10 hours ago, sarge945 said:

I am so bad at the original game (Chocolate Doom) and am so used to playing on GZDoom, that I am having a lot of trouble completing my map for demo purposes :(

Unfortunately zdoom ports do indeed make Doom quite a bit easier in a lot of areas. Have you tried glboom+? That alone should be easier than chocolate doom. You can use my starterpack if that makes it easier.

Anyways, sorry for not updating like I said I would. I've had a lot going on. Specifically work. Just work. I got home last night, downloaded a single map and decided "oh boy time for bed!!"

I'll have a lot of time tonight (and tomorrow) so I'll finally get to play all the maps, give feedback, and make various other updates. It's just hard at work when I only get sparing moments on my phone to do anything.

20/07/18 - Updated to V4
30/07/18 - Updated to V4e

Map: Sacrilege

Inspired by Unholy Cathedral and Gateway to Limbo

Build time: ~12 days

Music: Waltz of the Demons

Coop support: Starts, -solo-net tested only

DM support: Starts with nearby shotguns/chainguns added (untested)

Demo: UV-Speed & UV-Max included in zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

5prCLnJ.png

D6D7GTN.png

OfkzdFP.png

r8XVfKU.png

4ZTalbe.png

I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by Darox : Updated to V4e

infernew-layout.png.87821248b89f436f5238c976ebf7f2a4.png

This is how my map looks like so far...

infernew-screen2.png.bd01cacbd3e4182d37d2d3d6c56f3c7c.png

This room looks kind of weird? I think it's mostly because of the detailed/unconventional room shape as opposed to more regular rooms making up the first three episodes of Doom 1. The rest of my level has a more typical Inferno vibe, though it's still pretty quirky.

I got a bit of a boss map here for ya,

'In awe'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0wpi0c6yt79yho/inawe.wad?dl=1

Most inspired by: initially a little inspiration from mt Erebus, but I'd say primarily from dis

Build time: a bit less than 120 minutes

Music (if known): e3m8's "facing the spider"

Coop support: I got starts in there, but no other balance

DM support: none yet

Description : a short and not so sweet boss map

Demo is UV max

Demo=https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3tgul55zs2vwj6/dtinfernew.lmp?dl=1

There is a temporary drawseg overflow as the entire map lowers, but only very temporary, and only if you look to your left, hope this is ok

Edited by dt_

10 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Gotta love hell2.

Hell2 (would that be Hell Squared?)

Hell II

Hell Part 2

Hell Returns

The Hell Strikes Back

Sorry, I'd say I was punchy, except it's the middle of the afternoon, so I have no excuse other than being silly for the sake of it.

sarge, I played your map and have a demo for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/862bnbu9i2y27at/dtsarge945.lmp?dl=1

Not an FDA as the vile killed me on the first run.  Decent map, really casual play, you can stay and fight, or exit if you prefer.  Only errors noted were the two misaligned switches (glboom) and the missing textures on the walls around the hub area (just using doom2.wad)

24 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Hell2 (would that be Hell Squared?)

Hell II

Hell Part 2

Hell Returns

The Hell Strikes Back

If we’re actually brainstorming names, I’d put in for “Infernal Return.” (Which also serves as a bonus pun on a venerable religious studies concept.)

53 minutes ago, dt_ said:

Not an FDA as the vile killed me on the first run.  Decent map, really casual play, you can stay and fight, or exit if you prefer.  Only errors noted were the two misaligned switches (glboom) and the missing textures on the walls around the hub area (just using doom2.wad)

What misaligned textures? I am interested now

8 minutes ago, sarge945 said:

What misaligned textures? I am interested now

I had misaligned switch textures in the yellow area (I think, it's the two switches you flip before the barons / mancs) but that was a result of how Doomseeker and Doom Launcher were loading the wads. ASHWALL was missing outside too. This was fixed by loading the wads via command line arguments so once the textures and wad are merged it should be no issue.

Stop with these infernal puns!

Seriously though, I like Infernew, although it's likely to get internet-buried by the much more popular Infernew update for CS:GO

If I had to pick a name, I would either go with Infernal Return (I liked that pun), or InferNO MORE FREE SLOTS STOP POSTING

Seriously though, Infernew is fine, and I think we already have art for it

I did not load the resource wad correctly, think that was what caused the misalignments, no worries

19 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

I had misaligned switch textures in the yellow area (I think, it's the two switches you flip before the barons / mancs) but that was a result of how Doomseeker and Doom Launcher were loading the wads. ASHWALL was missing outside too. This was fixed by loading the wads via command line arguments so once the textures and wad are merged it should be no issue.

1 hour ago, dt_ said:

Interestingly, I think you are referring to SW1STON2, which I use for both those switches.

The reason they are misaligned is because the resources wad overrides that texture with the Doom 1 version, which is 64 units wide instead of 128

SW1STONE2 in Doom 1 looks like this:

SW1STON2.png.1d70a1e89f3f947645a0e179f377685d.png

But in Doom2.WAD it looks like this:

SW1STON2_doom2.png.f943f284bb069a17f853e7eaa55caac2.png

Which means, in a map designed for the doom 1 texture, only half of the Doom 2 switch will be showing if you only use DOOM2.WAD.

So yeah, use the right resource wad (the one in the OP) and everything will look fine. This is a general problem with playing Doom1 wads (or wads using  doom 1 textures) in doom 2 without a proper asset wad (like the one in the OP)

Edited by sarge945 : explanation

Wanted to post something showing that I am still working on my level for this project. I haven't made much progress in the last 3 days since I got a couple ideas that have taken up some of my time with the most time consuming idea was turning this into a Pandemonium/Mt. Erebus style of map. Now that I have an actual direction for this map I should be able to make much more progress.

morte overview.png

6 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

If we’re actually brainstorming names, I’d put in for “Infernal Return.” (Which also serves as a bonus pun on a venerable religious studies concept.)

5 hours ago, sarge945 said:

Stop with these infernal puns!

Seriously though, I like Infernew, although it's likely to get internet-buried by the much more popular Infernew update for CS:GO

If I had to pick a name, I would either go with Infernal Return (I liked that pun), or InferNO MORE FREE SLOTS STOP POSTING

Seriously though, Infernew is fine, and I think we already have art for it

I wasn't really brainstorming names. I wasn't trying to start that--it was more a silly comment on Novaseer's comment.

I don't think we need to worry about names and should let @bonnie decide when it's time for that. We still have over 3 weeks before the final deadline for maps to be in. After that, I suspect we'll have at least another month of tweaking and play testing and alphas and what not before we're at the RC stage.

By the way, sarge, "stop with these infernal puns." I see what you did there.

I played a couple maps.

@xvertigox drx-DoomedToSufferdemo.zip

I played the previous version so it's not a FDA. The arenas for the blue & yellow keys had some issues where nearly everything can hear you and cluster around the entrance. It's hard to get out into the blue key zone and if you don't manage it you'll probably get boxed in by cacos and forced to abuse the door (or use a secret plasma weapon). For the yellow arena it's kind of the opposite problem, it's easy to funnel everything except the archvile into the corridor which is big enough to comfortably fight in and then deal with the lone vile. I liked the map though, even if it does have an archvile jump required for a secret.

@dt_ drx-InAweFDA.zip

I didn't really feel it, a SSG and a safe pillar for cover makes the mastermind really easy. The archviles roaming the map were more dangerous but still nothing special. I guess I was supposed to do the switches in a different order to lower those pillars but I didn't need the items either way.

@AD_79 I also played your map but I'm not nearly good enough at punching Mancs to make a demo and I couldn't find any way to progress after getting the yellow key. There were a couple ledges that seemed like paths but I couldn't quite reach them.

Edited by Darox

I played the previous version so it's not a FDA. The arenas for the blue & yellow keys had some issues where nearly everything can hear you and cluster around the entrance. It's hard to get out into the blue key zone and if you don't manage it you'll probably get boxed in by cacos and forced to abuse the door (or use a secret plasma weapon). For the yellow arena it's kind of the opposite problem, it's easy to funnel everything except the archvile into the corridor which is big enough to comfortably fight in and then deal with the lone vile. I liked the map though, even if it does have an archvile jump required for a secret. 

Big thanks for testing @Darox! @sarge945 gave me a lot of feedback too so I'll be doing a pretty major revision in a few hours time and will post the new version. I'm glad you liked the core of the map, I can tweak everything else. I'll check out your demo when I get home.

I want to try playing some other people's maps but I'm so focused on pushing out at least a first playable version of my map before I do anything else in regards to this project!   I'm sooooo close.

Things are starting to shape up on my end.

infernewprogressshot.png

Here's version 1.9 of my map. The combat has been redone almost entirely. There's been lots of detail added and progression has been changed. I eased up on the difficulty and am shooting for an early map slot because of that. I found that if I tried to make it hard it was just cramped and annoying.

It's a big change from the previous version I posted so if you've played that please check this new one out and let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qsbjqz85qyrx8qe/DoomedToSufferv1.9.zip

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Here's version 1.9 of my map. The combat has been redone almost entirely. There's been lots of detail added and progression has been changed. I eased up on the difficulty and am shooting for an early map slot because of that. I found that if I tried to make it hard it was just cramped and annoying.

It's a big change from the previous version I posted so if you've played that please check this new one out and let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qsbjqz85qyrx8qe/DoomedToSufferv1.9.zip

So, overall the new version is an improvement, but I think it still needs work.

Here are some positives and negatives:

1. First AV battle is interesting. Having to take him on with only a shotgun, and surrounded by demons, is really tough, but in a mostly fair way. My only annoyance is the skulls-on-spikes decorations on his platform tend to soak up bullets. Maybe they should be removed, but maybe I should also just suck less.

2. The switch puzzle at the end makes a lot more sense since the previous version, since it's circular instead of criss-crossing over itself. Generally an improvement. The yellow door in the old version was in a better place, because it was obvious where it was the moment you entered into that area. This is mostly a matter of opinion, as people like different things in wads, but you will notice in my map, you always walk past a coloured door before you find the key for it, so that you always know where to go. Your old map also did this with the yellow door, which was good, and still does for the Blue door. This is hard to describe and is more about "game feel", but may also just be because I am used to the old version

3. The second AV fight is also very interesting, and the room looks nice. No complaints there!

4. The entrance linedef for the backpack secret shouldn't have an action (it has S1 - Door Open Wait Close with no tag). I am glad it wasn't a DR - Door Open Wait Close, otherwise you would have another potential breaking bug in your map like the door you had last time.

5. Many of your trigger lines for things like the first archvile fight and berserk fight are visible on the map. You may need to go over your map in GZDBuilder in Automap mode and right click on any lines which shouldn't be visible.

6. There is almost no chaingun ammo in the map, we don't really get any until after the big yellow door switch puzzle. This is way too close to the end of the map for the weapon to be of any real use.

7. If you are going to throw that many demons and cacos at us, I would recommend having an SSG somewhere. It would make sense to put it in the Blue Key area and give us the rocket a little later, since it's overkill at that part. I know this is Doom-1 styled, but the SSG is such a staple tool, and you already have Doom 2 enemies, that it shouldn't affect the feel of the wad too much.

8. What is the purpose of Sector 114? (the one in the area behind the chaingun with the cell pack). It should probably be removed, especially since it appears on the automap and looks like a secret.

9. The difficulty is a bit strange. It starts out super easy, then gets really hard for both archvile fights, then easy again, then medium for the final battle. I don't know what to do about this honestly, but maybe tweak a few enemy numbers. It might be a good idea to have some enemies teleport in (or open a door) when we get teleported to the yellow key pillar, since that's a pretty underwhelming event, and may help you tweak the overall difficulty of the map.

But overall, good work.

Edited by sarge945

I'm back and I've removed some of the monsters from the lower difficulties, so they should be easier, in a more proper definition of the word.

Link removed.

HMP has fewer souls now and HNTR has no cyberdemon anymore (You had a BFG, so I figured it appropriate), among a few other things.

I haven't edited anything except the HMP and HNTR monsters, though the monster count of UV is surely lower, because I deleted a couple of them at the same time as the HMP ones.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

@bonnie

Is this megawad going to have custom boss monsters? Or are we sticking with the Spider Mastermind for the ultimate boss.

I just checked, and you mentioned having a dehacked file for anyone building boss levels. So, you can disregard the question. Would you care to provide details on the bosses you plan on using, or are you keeping that under your hat?