Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

[Poll] Freelook users - do you also use autoaim?

Freelook users - do you use also autoaim?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Freelook users - do you use also autoaim when you use freelook?

• I always use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I sometimes use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I never use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I use a different combination of autoaim and freelook (say what in the comments)
  2. 2. Does it vary per source port?

• Yes (e.g. I use autoaim in PRBoom+, but not in GZDoom)
    • No

On @Dragonfly's stream this morning, we got into a debate about using freelook and autoaim at the same time on advanced ports like GZDoom.  Dragonfly suggested that most people who use freelook tend to leave autoaim turned on, as it's the (G)ZDoom default.  My presumption is most people turn it off, because autoaim kind of defeats the point of having freelook.  As it has implications for map making, we thought we should actually find out for sure.

So, for those of you who use freelook (on the ports that support it), do you also use autoaim at the same time?

Edit: There seems to be an emerging trend that it varies per sourceport, for example people do leave autoaim on in PRBoom+ but turn it off for GZDoom.  I've added a second question to see if that's widespread.

Incidentally, to clarify I'm asking specifically about freelook+autoaim.  I'm not asking about whether you use freelook (I know that's usually what gets discussed in these situations), it's about whether you use autoaim or not when you're using freelook.

Edited by Bauul

Well, depends on the port. On zdoom family port I keep freelook on, but on more vanilla ones I keep them off as it intended. I don't feel any differences to be honest, because I can get used both things. Also, I keep autoaim on all ports, because I'm lazy. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Depends on the port and the circumstance.

No autoaim with GZD usually.

I did an unofficial Ironman run with it on, though, as per the rules.

In non-ZDoom, obviously, I use autoaim.

I use freelook and autoaim 90% of the time, but if a server gets really crowded I turn it off to avoid suicide-by-auto-aimed-rocket.

I use freelook for GZDoom and PrBoom+, but only use autoaim for PrBoom+.

I ran into a frustration with autoaim today, due to the distance between the player and the target for the autoaim to lock in. There's been a couple times while wielding a rocket launcher, where I thought I was close enough to the target and started firing. Only to fire straight into the staircase I was going to ascend and killing myself. It happened to me on the final map of "Mayan Mishap" by Tango. Great mapset.

I guess it's cool that autoaim forces the player to get in close.

Never both at the same time.  If I'm going to use Quake-style mlook, then it's counterproductive to have autoaiming mess with it.  I usually use something with more vanilla behavior though.

On ZDoom ports I generally use freelook so no autoaim. With about every other port, no freelook and autoaim, I'm used to both playstyles and don't mind them, minus the suicidal autoaim rockets.

Oh no no no, I hate the damn thing! It's got a mind of its own and I don't need any more help to kill myself with rockets. I never liked assists in games anyways.

Can I make it so that I have autoaim on when freelook is off and autoaim off when freelook is on? I enable freelook by holding right mouse button.

46 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Can I make it so that I have autoaim on when freelook is off and autoaim off when freelook is on? I enable freelook by holding right mouse button.

Is that a question for source port developers, or for me?  :)  If you always have autoaim off when you freelook, that'd be answer 3.

To clarify my answer since the poll changed, I always use freelook if the port supports it.  Autoaim I leave enabled, but I turn down its sensitivity to at least 50% if the port supports doing so.  Otherwise I leave it as is and hope that I don't kill myself with a rocket.

Yes, I wondered why I killed myself with rockets fired off at the edges of ledges for a while until I realised autoaim was still a thing when freelooking by default in GZDoom. A rather strange choice. I go without these days.

I don't know lol, I usually just turn freelook on, never bothered checking if Autoaim was turned on or off, I just assumed it gets turned off automatically when I turn freelook on.

Since a lotta of FPS games I play are newer and by default have freelook always and autoaim never (imagine playing COD2 without freelook but with autoaim for extra giggles), I use the same options with Doom.

It gets weird with Software mode on for Zdoom, but in general, always freelook, autoaim never.

When I use freelook, I never use autoaim. In my opinion, that should be the tradeoff. You either use freelook with no autoaim, or use autoaim but have freelook turned off.

Interesting discussion. I did not vote because I almost never use freelook. On the rare occasion I do, it's usually just to look at the map, not to shoot anything. I assume if I were a regular freelooker, I would disable autoaim, because this is what I did in other FPS back when I actually played other games, but perhaps a key difference is that that was with a console controller, not a keyboard.

My free look is always on. I also Auto-aim all the time except in certain situations where I have to shoot targets with the Rocket Launcher.

18 minutes ago, Nevander said:

When I use freelook, I never use autoaim. In my opinion, that should be the tradeoff. You either use freelook with no autoaim, or use autoaim but have freelook turned off.

Same.

When I came back to Doom I used to play with freelook in GZDoom with autoaim disabled, then I later turned it off for a retro edge.

In true 3D renderers I use mouselook with no autoaim. I never mouselook in 2.5D renderers because the weird distortion makes me feel queasy.

Of course, some kinds of encounters can work very differently, especially in regard to the distance at which autoaim will activate. For Vanilla or Boom maps I assume autoaim will be the default and build encounters around that. I've only made one dedicated GZDoom map, but for that I designed with mouselook in mind and assumed stuff like long distance rocket sniping would be a thing.

Edited by Urthar

I do not use autoaim if I play with a crosshair turned on. If I play with a crosshair turned off, then autoaim is, indeed, turned on.

Edited by Wanderer : grammar

I'm a horrible shot so I always use autoaim with freelook. However, I noticed that having autoaim set to maximum (Always) tends make shots miss more or rather, target things I don't want it to target. So I lower the autoaim setting. I think it makes it more focused/less sensitive. I don't know how exactly autoaim settings work. But setting it to something like high makes it target the enemies I want it to 90% of the time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks like Dragonfly and I were both partially right. 

I'm personally in the "if freelook, then never autoaim" camp. In my mind autoaim was designed for vanilla style where you can't look up and down. Having the game target an enemy way underneath your crosshair when you can perfectly easily point at it yourself using freelook seemed to defeat the point of freelook to me.

But on the other hand, autoaim also really helps with horizontal targeting, so I can see why people would like to use it, because it is how Doom was designed originally.

I'll definitely give YukiRaven's low-autoaim-sensitivity approach a try though, that might be the best of both worlds.

Autoaim is not your friend. It causes you to shoot at the monster's feet, so if there is something between their feet and you, you will not hit the monster, even if the top portion of the monster is visible. I want my weapon to shoot where I aim, and not have control wrested from me.