Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

[Poll] Freelook users - do you also use autoaim?

Freelook users - do you use also autoaim?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Freelook users - do you use also autoaim when you use freelook?

• I always use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I sometimes use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I never use autoaim when I use freelook
    • I use a different combination of autoaim and freelook (say what in the comments)
  2. 2. Does it vary per source port?

• Yes (e.g. I use autoaim in PRBoom+, but not in GZDoom)
    • No

I'll preface this by saying I'm prolly not the target audience for this question. That said, I never turn off autoaim; if it's that important the mod can do it for me, such as if a mod actually uses hitboxes on enemies for stuff like headshots/etc, but this kinda seems more like a projectile-based question than one for both projectiles and hitscans.

Perhaps I play way too little zdoom/etc, but I can't say I ever get into situations where I would even want autoaim to be off. The only times autoaim destroys a good shot is either when you're cheesing an encounter anyway, or when monster placement is flawed in the first place and turning off autoaim is one's way of covering up their bad design decision because we tend to view our creations with flowery-eyes, such as placing a rev up on a platform way up high so rockets take longer to reach them than their firing animation holds them in place, which are about the only situations where autoaim can be detrimental, and even then it's just a sense of tedium that is being fought. Otherwise the player moves so fast that it really makes no difference one way or the other.

Empyre's comment does bring another decent situation to mind though, which is for dm's. I will sometimes turn autoaim off for specifically ns dm's for the fact that autoaim actually makes it tougher to aim at your target's feet and thus rockets can easily fly past their target. Turning autoaim off allows players to freely fire rockets at their target's feet so the rockets don't fly past their target uselessly. Though even for dm's I'd rather play with as-close-to-default-settings as possible so I'm on about the same level control-wise as other players, and thus I basically just let the wads/mods handle that for me.

When I play in GZDoom or Zand I use freelook with no autoaim and no crosshair. I use no autoaim so I can do things like hit long range caco middies etc.

When I want a more classic Doom experience I use Crispy with no mlook obviously. DM is strictly no mlook and max autoaim.

I play primarily on GZDioom with freelook, so autoaim is the first thing I disable completely. If a Caco is higher up than the Archie behind it, I wanna kill the Archie first.

I almost never freelook tbh, unless it is intended by the mod/wad. When i do i always disable autoaim, though

I primarily use the (G)ZDoom family of ports but regardless of what port I happen to use, I never use autoaim if I use freelook + crosshairs and freelook + crosshairs are pretty much a universal FPS staple for me.

I turn off auto-aim if I ever enable freelook. I don't really see the point of freelook if auto-aim is going to throw your bullet trajectory out of whack, might as well just play normally in that case. Personally speaking though, I only enable freelook if I'm playing Brutal Doom. Nothing against people that do use it, I just found it's more satisfying to get through wads with the traditional locked viewpoint and auto-aim setup.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer switch between default and freelook, depending on the source port. Autoaim so consistently bothers me with how often I feel like my control over what I'm shooting in wrested from me, resulting in my death, that I've pretty much given up on it. So always freelook without autoaim for me.

I only use freelook because I got used to it. Switching back is hard now. Heck

The only time I turn autoaim off is if I'm playing a mod or wad with new weapons, like grenade launchers, that require autoaim to be off to aim properly.

I use autoaim when I can see what I am shooting at but when I want to shoot like a mile above me, I use freelook.  I don't think I would change this habit if I were to use a different source port, but I've never used anything other than Q/G/zdoom.

Autoaim kind of defeats the whole purpose of mouselook in the first place, to have fine control over your vertical aiming. Why, after having just drastically changed the game rules by enabling mouselook, would you stop halfway?