Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

How do I change a map name?

So when I saw this question, I saw countless people saying edit MAPINFO file, but when I go into Slade3, I can't find MAPINFO. Do I have to create it or what? If so, then where is an example of the script that I have to put in? Also what part of the script has the name of the map?

You have to make a new lump in Slade called MAPINFO.

After doing that, you define your map name like this:

map MAP01 "Entryway"

The automap and intermission screen will use this map name (here, Entryway).

23 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

The automap and intermission screen will use this map name (here, Entryway).

Not entirely true. Intermission screen map names are used as separate image lumps. Also just wondering how you can put that font usually used in map names in intermission screens.

What port are you using? Vanilla? ZDoom supports MAPINFO, but I don't think PRBoom does and I know the limit-removing ones don't.

And in MAPINFO you can make ZDoom "look up" an image file to use for the intermission screens, if you want. That's detailed in the link Empyre provided.

If you want to change the map names, you can also add a LANGUAGE lump and modify existing strings, though I'm not sure if ports like Crispy, Retro, or Boom will recognize it.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/LANGUAGE

Erm... I am under Vanilla Doom (no source port, just the usual DOS version)...

Also I am wondering how you can do that font usually used for lumps having map names in intermission screens (white-gray version of the big red text)

14 minutes ago, superchargecacodemons800 said:

Also I am wondering how you can do that font usually used for lumps having map names in intermission screens (white-gray version of the big red text)

This should help you make the proper graphics, though you'll need DeHackEd to modify the names in the automap.

5 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

This should help you make the proper graphics, though you'll need DeHackEd to modify the names in the automap.

Link broken! If you have that file, then please attach it to your next post for me to download it from the working mirror.

Alternatively, you can use Bitmap Font Writer. I included numerous fonts, including multiple Doom fonts in different colors and sizes.

To actually use them, import them into your wad with SLADE. But unlike the textures, you DON'T have to put them inbetween the markers, nor do you have to add them to PNAMES or TEXTUREX lumps.

Just add your image into the wad, right click and do graphics->convert to... and convert the file to a doom format image (if it isn't already).

Then name the image "CWILV##" with ## being the map number MINUS ONE. That means for map01, you would call it "CWILV00".

As for changing the name of your map on the automap, as mentioned you'll need dehacked for that. Thankfully, dehacked is fairly easy to use... however, you'll need more advanced tools for actually using dehacked with DOS doom. On top of that, vanilla imposes limits on strings based on their vanilla counterparts, so you can only have map names as long as the original map's name, such as "Level 1: Entryway". I can't help you with using dehacked files in DOS doom, but I'll still explain how you would replace automap names in dehacked (NOTE: I don't think they even used a text-based method for dehacked for DOS so this is even more useless):

Simply create a text file and format it like this: 

[STRINGS]
HUSTR_1 = your first map with no quotes
HUSTR_2 = your second map, wow
HUSTR_3 = you get the point

Then save the .txt file as a ".deh" file. Tada, you're all done.

P.S. This can be done directly inside of SLADE by creating a new entry (like those markers), naming it "DEHACKED", viewing it as a text file, and typing the same thing.

This only works in ports that support dehacked files directly inside of wads (not chocolate doom).

P.P.S. gosh, with all this talk of doom 1 textures and custom map names and vanilla, why don't you come and make a doom 1 episode 3 styled map for the infernew community project friend?? it's vanilla and we're using the doom 1 textures in doom 2 texture pack, it'll be fun!!

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/101367-infernew-community-project-where-we-do-map-because-were-never-tired-of-inferno/

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

P.P.S. gosh, with all this talk of doom 1 textures and custom map names and vanilla, why don't you come and make a doom 1 episode 3 styled map for the infernew community project friend?? it's vanilla and we're using the doom 1 textures in doom 2 texture pack, it'll be fun!!

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/101367-infernew-community-project-where-we-do-map-because-were-never-tired-of-inferno/

No thanks; I am still making a total megawad all by myself, all 32 maps. It will also include textures that never existed in any of the 4 official WADs.

Ok so I did try it. However now what I am wondering is how can I change the map name that is shown on the automap? (I found that it actually is a string, where I used WhackEd and went into strings and found the automap level names, though some of them are different (ex. Map11 of Doom II is "'O' of Destruction!" on automap, though I found it there, too))