Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 37 - Surprise, matriarch fornicators!

Previous session.

I'M NOT DEAD

ASS 37 hits on the 21st of July, 7PM EST. As ever I'll be linking to the ASScord server 24 hours beforehand and if Jimmy's up to it we'll have another session 12 hours later to cater to all timezones. Here's a timer!

But lo, a twist! Instead of 3 themes to choose from, there's going to be only one mandatory theme picked at complete random. It was suggested to me that doing this would help with breeding mapping ingenuity as well as contributing to overall better mapset quality, so I'm gonna trial it for this session and then see where we stand. Should be fun~

And yes, I've finally uploaded the previous session to Incoming. It's been a crazy 2 months.

I don't think I'll be able to attend the main session due to weekend work, but the afterparty hosted by Jimmy sounds plausible. Hope to see you all there! :)

Alright, these are the theme selections for this month: on the day I'll find myself a random number generator and that'll decide which one we go with.

1. 20 monsters max
  2. Every floor scrolls
  3. Flying monsters only
  4. 100 monsters min
  5. Emphasis on infighting
  6. 2x2 textures (2 textures, 2 flats)
  7. No 90 or 45 degree angles
  8. Crushing floors
  9. Relay - 1 hour for layout, 1 for gameplay and decoration
  10. Sucking cock while mapping Silent teleporting

See you on the weekend!

Edited by Obsidian

I'll try to make it this time. I dunno. I've had some IRL stuff going on lately that might hinder my appearance.

13 hours ago, Obsidian said:

1. 20 monsters max
  2. Every floor scrolls
  3. Flying monsters only
  4. 100 monsters min
  5. Emphasis on infighting
  6. 2x2 textures (2 textures, 2 flats)
  7. No 90 or 45 degree angles
  8. Crushing floors
  9. Relay - 1 hour for layout, 1 for gameplay and decoration
  10. Sucking cock while mapping Silent teleporting

2 could lead to some interesting gameplay. 3 would be an interesting constraint, if you stuck to the stock bestiary. 6 could make you focus more on making interesting encounters and level setup. I think 1 would definitely force mappers into quality encounter designs, since they wouldn't be able to rely on hordes of monsters. I'm not quite sure how 8 or 9 would work. I'm a much bigger fan of the revised 10 than the original.

This is a good list of themes. Hopefully, I'm available to join in.

I will also once again be hosting a second session (with a second theme) precisely 12 hours from the start of the first session.

Edited by Jimmy

13 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I will also once again be hosting a second session (with a fourth theme) precisely 12 hours from the start of the first session.

I thought that @Obsidian's plan was to get a random number generator and use that to pick one of the 10 possible themes?

Is that no longer the plan? Or were you just going to have 4 themes because that's how you roll?

Either way, with a second session confirmed, I'll definitely be able to participate in one of the sessions.

Starting soon! The Discord link above should be good for about 10 more minutes, so if you'd like to get involved then....erm, get involved!

The theme issss....

/me Rolls the numbers.

Number one! Your maximum amount of monsters is 20. Resource gathering starts now!

I'm ducking out. I'm in no shape to do something like this right now. Sorry.

2 hours to go before the second session starts. Sorry for not posting sooner, I kinda forgot.

Another temp link to the Discord will be up with one hour to go.

13 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I thought that @Obsidian's plan was to get a random number generator and use that to pick one of the 10 possible themes?

Apologies, I actually completely missed the part in the OP that said there'd only be 1 theme this time. The new session will have an alternative theme to select. (Or you could do both if you're so inclined.)

Edited by Jimmy

YOUR THEME IS:

20 monsters maximum. (Theme one)

AND/OR:

Crushing floors. (Theme eight)

GET PLANNING! Pick out a name/MIDI, draw your layout on paper, etc.

Mapping time over! Playtest for 15 minutes and then submit your maps please!