Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackMetalChainsaw

What do you listen to when you're playing Doom?

On 7/4/2018 at 8:47 AM, MaxTrevors said:

I like the idea of Doomguy listening to stand up and podcasts while going through countless demon infested worlds made with oblige lol. Like it's just boring, busy work for him.

Lol I've listened to last podcast on the left while playing doom before. Kind of a good time tbh :D

I almost always listen to the ingame MIDI's, especially if it's a PWAD. Most of the time, the MIDI choice for each map is deliberate, and enhances my playing experience. However, I will occasionally jam these two records and find that they fit the game perfectly.

I also just leave it to what the WAD offers, but in the base games I might swap out the soundtrack with a mod with some new music in it. I never listen to anything externally from the WAD, can't really be bothered.

Usually I'm listening to a podcast or similar. It's not that I'm against listening to the in-game music, but I just prefer to have something more... I guess "substantial" to listen to, for lack of a better word.

For some reason last night when I was playing Doom 2, the map "Barrels o' Fun" was giving me trouble and pissing me off.  Which sucks because that's one of my favorite levels.  Anyways, this song sure helped me through it!

I usually just listen to the music in the game. But I used to listen to rap songs

while playing it long ago when I was younger. But lately just the music in the game is perfect

I honestly listen to the music on the mods I'm playing, but if I need more hype then Anime OSTs or Videogame music of sagas such as BlazBlue or The Witcher.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona music fits good too.

Playing: The WAD's music.

Mapping: Black Metal

13 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona music fits good too.

Didn't you hear those tracks enough when playing the games!?

2 hours ago, lowpass30Hz said:

Playing: The WAD's music.

Mapping: Black Metal

Didn't you hear those tracks enough when playing the games!?

I hear them 24/7 :^)

Something ambient.  Either the PSX or N64 soundtrack or something by Lustmord or anything in that vein.  On occasion I'll load up some death metal, since I grew up listening to Morbid Angel and King Diamond (not DM but still) when I would play Doom as a young 'un.

1 minute ago, YukiRaven said:

<3

I'm guessing that's where your user name comes from?

Indeed it is.  My absolute fav track off of all his works.  I get lost in it.  I could (and have) listened to it on repeat for extended bouts of editing/writing.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, Odal said:

Deathspell Omega

Oh man.  DSO is such a transcendent feeling for me.  Completely different from Doom but oh so amazing...wordless, even.  Good choice.

20 hours ago, Black Star said:

DSO is such a transcendent feeling for me.

Transcendent is a great word to describe Deathspell. Almost unlike anything I've ever heard. And while the solemn darkness of their music is contrasted heavily against the arcadey, sometimes cartoony nature of Doom, I think both offerings convey chaotic evil and a deep sense of dread quite well... hence why I occasionally enjoy them together. 

Often none at all; music in games makes sense for the original non-immersive 2D games of the past as they're kinda jokey, but for something serious and near-3D? I mean, do the SAS listen to Kerrang Thrash Metal Radio when storming embassies and the like? Probably not :p

If a PWAD has music I may give it a try, otherwise for me it's MAP07 or E3M1 music depending on how "dark" my mood is.

For mapping, no preference, whatever I'm into at the time.

Gun shots and monsters dying!

The first few PCs I played Doom on had no midi... just sounds.

I just use IDMUS to get to the best music in the wad...  I would listen to other stuff but it covers up the sounds that I need to hear, like a cyberdemon roaring because he is going to kill me.

Generally I'll listen to the music of Doom/Doom II/Final Doom or whatever tracks are supplied with the WAD. I especially enjoy the pulse pounding music of Aubrey Hodges (My favorite). As of late I've been listening to a lot dark ambient tracks from Iron Cthulhu Apocalypse. I find that it really immerses me into the gameplay of Doom, and especially the original Quake.

Other times I'll listen to a playlist featuring some of my favorite bands and artists - NIN, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Aphex Twin.

And when I am mapping I enjoy listening to a good podcast or audiobook.

Edited by Ex Oblivione

I don't remember where I got it, but I like to throw an "expansion" of sorts of Demonsteele's "nowthatswhatIcallmidi" pk3. It has more pop songs than the original, and the midi renditions of them are still pretty good. They sound nice when using Sound Canvas VA as the midi driver. Here's the file in case anyone might now or wants to listen to it.

3rdUnofficial-nowthatswhaticallmidi-expansion.zip