Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GamingMarine

Does /idgames Ever Check For WAD Legality?

I just recently downloaded Sunlust, after hearing quite a bit of positive stuff about it. Not too long after, I decided to open it up in SLADE, just to poke around. There, I noticed that most of Doom II's textures and ALL of Doom II's sprites are stored in the WAD. This begs the question: Does /idgames ever inspect any WADs uploaded there to see if they're legal to host?

31 minutes ago, GamingMarine said:

I just recently downloaded Sunlust, after hearing quite a bit of positive stuff about it. Not too long after, I decided to open it up in SLADE, just to poke around. There, I noticed that most of Doom II's textures and ALL of Doom II's sprites are stored in the WAD. This begs the question: Does /idgames ever inspect any WADs uploaded there to see if they're legal to host?

I think they do, because I once heard that Sunlust was forced to have duplicated Doom 2 assets because of the new palette. 

WADs that have altered palettes sometimes get a wink and a nod because it would be almost impossible to play them otherwise, and they're not "straight" copies anyway (the whole point is they need to be converted to a new and different palette).

6 hours ago, GamingMarine said:

Does /idgames ever inspect any WADs uploaded there to see if they're legal to host?

The answer to the general question is "lolwut". Half the modding community never even considers using /idgames, because they heard somewhere that if one pixel looks ripped, it's rejected.

P.S. this thread should be in the WAD forum.

The one I was never sure about was Valiant Vaccinated Edition, since it only slightly changes the shades of red in the palette but all the sprites are there anyway, and none of them look any different if you view them with the vanilla palette.

I never understood the palette thing. Doesn't any PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lump take immediate effect on everything in the WAD? In other words, why are duplicated sprites even needed if altered palettes already auto apply the color changes?

11 minutes ago, Nevander said:

why are duplicated sprites even needed if altered palettes already auto apply the color changes?

Because in game they would look like this:

JqF7i3C.png5o0rOqO.png3LzoeHA.pngsU8pLY9.png

Yq2cYO5.png

Wads that drastically change the palette (such as BTSX) need the sprites to be adapted manually.

Some palettes are so different that the sprites have to be converted, otherwise they'd look like a rainbow vomited on them.

^^^ What Gothic said. Beat me to it.

They do run some (I presume automated) check on duplicated sprites that picks up ones that aren't changed, in my experience.

Extreme example from ancient aliens palette, besides those few pictures above:

ACddW4t.png

fY19rlw.png