Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooner5020

Is Sonic Forces really that bad?

I just bought it today for PS4. It had been forever since I played a real Sonic game. It sounds like the last real good Sonic game was Generations. 

I do  have to ask though, what exactly do people want from a Sonic game? Are they just wanting too much and the game doesen’t live up to the hype? Or is that Sonic games really have gotten as bad as they say?

Like I said I haven’t played a real Sonic game in a while so I don’t really know what to expect.

If you want to play a real Sonic game play Sonic Mania. All the 3D games have no soul in them whatsoever it seems like.

sanic.jpg.e3d4eac6e133f4f0f7dcc9282e2e01e4.jpg

It's mediocre, but because it's Sonic, everyone has to exaggerate its flaws because that's the popular thing to do.

7 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

If you want to play a real Sonic game play Sonic Mania. All the 3D games have no soul in them whatsoever it seems like.

sanic.jpg.e3d4eac6e133f4f0f7dcc9282e2e01e4.jpg

Case in fucking point.

Mania's not without flaws either(its boss design is absolutely horrendous, there's a lot of padding in the form of waiting around for things to happen, and the later stages can drag on for so long that the timer killing you is a real danger). But let's ignore that because bandwagon.

Nah, Sonic Forces is cool. Is that the one where you have teams composed of 3 characters? Yeah that one kicked ass in particular IIRC.

Don't listen to random assholes from the internet like me, shove their biased subjective incorrect rose-tinted opinions up their asses or something, play stuff yourself, form your own opinion and you'll be fine I promise yooo <3 <3 <3 <3

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

The only 3D Sonic game I ever played was Sonic Adventure. I found it highly unenjoyable. 

Why did you think Sonic Adventures is highly unenjoyable?

3 hours ago, Apaul27 said:

Why did you think Sonic Adventures is highly unenjoyable?

"Controlling Sonic in 3D gameplay is like holding onto a bar of soap in the bath." Ben Croshaw 

What I want in a Sonic game is straight-forward action gameplay (with some light, mostly optional exploration) that the original trilogy was known for. With the 3D Sonics, more and more completely inane (and totally unnecessary) story is shoved down users' throats, and the attempts at offering additional gameplay styles didn't properly mesh with Sonic's traditional style.

Sonic Mania is a solid step in the right direction, but there's a lot of fan pandering there with retreading familiar ground (like, literally--it fails to do its own thing much of the time). There's also a lot of, "oh look, the game's playing itself," moments, more so than any of the classic games. I have always appreciated the spectacle of the Sonic games, but when that gets in the way of the gameplay more often than not, you start to lose me. I don't play games to watch them, I play them to, well.. play them. Sonic 2 and 3 in particular balance this much better than Mania does.

I found 3D Sonic games to be nothing but terrible, but I am in no way a Sonic fan and the only Sonic game I found enjoyable in the past was Sonic & Knuckles, but that is just nostalgia to me now.

Edited by Avoozl

"You can create your own freakin Sonic OC in that game!"

>OCs

>*Brutally throws up intestines* 

Edited by Shiny Heart

I've never played Sonic Forces, but Sonic games were never that great, but they're the ones that had commercials. More publicity, more hate. Sega lost the console ware in the long run and while everyone loves an underdog, no one likes a loser. Sonic games were better than other platformers on their systems, but if you've played a Nintendo first party platformer, its just difficult to find Sonic fun. Sonic was always about going slow to navigate things and not going fast. The speed felt like an afterthought that marketing hung its hat on. The speed got better in other games, but its tough to have speed vs human reaction time so games got to be on rails. Literal rails in some cases.

The last Sonic game I played was Generations because it came in some $20 Sonic mega pack. It was a good game, but I just didn't like it that much. It felt dull and like a chore to play all the way through, but is it really that bad if I managed to make it all the way through?

Maybe I'm alone, but I feel the series hit its peak with the GameBoy Advance games. The only catch is, it was diminishing returns. The first was fantastic, the second was more of the same and the third was more of the same, so that fantastic turns into good turns into meh. The levels also got more labyrinthine with multiple paths. Then they capped off 3 great games with a terrible port of Sonic 1... that managed to be super slow in the second world.

Sonic 4 episode 1 was a far better game than the Internet gave it credit for. Sonic Mania's levels are far too big, but even Sonic Advance 2's levels were the same way. It turned either confusing or boring.

Maybe Sonic games would be seen as better if there were worse similar games... that had TV commercials. Perhaps Sonic takes so much heat because subconsciously he's the reason for the furry craze.

I had wonderful fun with 2 and 3 on a Genesis emulator.

Adventure, I solely played for E-102 Gamma. After I beat his story I did nothing but replay the Windy Valley level until I uninstalled nullDC. It remains my sole fun 3D Sonic experience (SA2 shooter characters had to cycle with 2 boring ones...).

Looking at Forces, I see OC makers, Egg Pawns standing in place without reacting to the player, and a new tard of the week instead of making Robotnik do something for once. Mania is unoriginal but at least it's a game you can bloody well play without being under 5 (or one of the aforementioned Egg Pawns).

On 7/10/2018 at 6:32 AM, geo said:

Sonic games were better than other platformers on their systems, but if you've played a Nintendo first party platformer, its just difficult to find Sonic fun.

Haha, ok. History is written by the winner...etc...etc.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the pinnacle of 16-bit 2d platforming. Sonic Mania is a reintroduction for many people that is likely to set up for more original 2d games. It was great.

Haven't played a Sonic game on a while. Only one or two in browser. Honestly don't know what to say but I am not a Sonic fan to be honest, haven't seen good stuff of it tho

4 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Haha, ok. History is written by the winner...etc...etc.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the pinnacle of 16-bit 2d platforming. Sonic Mania is a reintroduction for many people that is likely to set up for more original 2d games. It was great.

I lived through that history. Mario was always better, even if it didn't have the best graphics. Mario had a head start, so that helps. I'd say Super Mario World is the pinnacle of 16-bit 2d platforming, but I'd be deviating from the topic.

I would like to play Sonic Forces... 1 day when its dumped into a Sega game bundle.