Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Looking for an enemy variant mod

Hello guys, 

I need help finding a monster variant mod or a mod that adds more variants to the enemies. nothing special just a mod that adds and replaces the monsters. Ones that are pretty balanced as what I am using now,DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer, is unbalanced as hell as more than often boss type enemies will replace either Cacodemons, Barons, or Mancubi. And I mean most of them as it tended to replace 3 - 5 of them. Been playing it with Terminus' amazing High Noon Drifter gameplay mod so anything that's compatible with this is a welcome thing.

I posted this on the "The Official 'Trying to Find a Specific WAD' Thread" but after reading the thread rules, I dont think this counts as "something familiar but cant remember". 

Colourful Hell - monster randomisation mod. Adds colour coded variants, where your basic Doom goons are the weakest type and coloured enemies are progressively tougher. Has boss type enemies that you can turn on or off in the menu.

Shades Of Doom - monster randomisation based upon specific themes. Doesn't change enemies behaviour or ballance per se, rather a purely visual, cosmetic mod.

Champions - adds boss type monsters with some interesting abilities.

LegenDoom - you gonna need LegenDoomLite. Random enemies on the map are chosen to be Legendary enemies, with increased health. Bringing them down to half will cause them to fully heal and transform into a more powerful form. Works with other monster mods.

DoomRL Arsenal - download the standalone Monster Pack. Comes with custom difficulty levels. Insanely, punishingly hard on top difficulties.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you're looking for gameplay mods, then ZDoom forums is a much better place for it, that actually has a board dedicated specifically for them.

Wanderer has already pointed out most of the options I'm aware of; the only other one is: The Brutal Doom No Weapons, Monsters ONLY pack.

Personally I recommend using Shades of Doom (with 'Chaos Mode' enabled in its menu) in combination with Champions (with its spawn rate set to somewhere between 5-15%) for a good general balanced experience.

Champions isn't really boss monsters, it adds stuff that's more like Diablo's blue mobs (where one of the enemies in a group has a strange and unique ability, like its 100% faster, explodes on death, fires extra projectiles in pain states, and so on). So its great for mixing up random encounters.

Colourful Hell is similar, but alot more intrusive, and the majority of monsters are upgraded, rather than just one every so often, so that one is best when you're running the more OP weapon mods (Trailblazer, Russian Overkill, Guncaster) or want a bigger challenge. Especially if you leave the Black/White variants on; these are often way more challenging than standard Doom Bosses (A White Imp that appeared for me when I first played had 40K Health, ran around like a turbo-Pinky, and fired triple spreadshot fireballs similar to a Mancubus, but faster firing! Though it did drop a BFG and a Megasphere on death, so whatever...)

Despite LegenDoom claiming to work with other monster packs, it usually doesn't, by the way. Champions does work with basically everything though, much like UniversalGibs, so its one I nearly always have on (I usually play with Argent, the non-obtrusive Doom 2016 weapons pack).

On 7/5/2018 at 8:46 AM, Wanderer said:

Colourful Hell - monster randomisation mod. Adds colour coded variants, where your basic Doom goons are the weakest type and coloured enemies are progressively tougher. Has boss type enemies that you can turn on or off in the menu.

Shades Of Doom - monster randomisation based upon specific themes. Doesn't change enemies behaviour or ballance per se, rather a purely visual, cosmetic mod.

Champions - adds boss type monsters with some interesting abilities.

LegenDoom - you gonna need LegenDoomLite. Random enemies on the map are chosen to be Legendary enemies, with increased health. Bringing them down to half will cause them to fully heal and transform into a more powerful form. Works with other monster mods.

DoomRL Arsenal - download the standalone Monster Pack. Comes with custom difficulty levels. Insanely, punishingly hard on top difficulties.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you're looking for gameplay mods, then ZDoom forums is a much better place for it, that actually has a board dedicated specifically for them.

Hi! thanks for the reply.These are some great mods! I dont really know how coding or the console lines on gzdoom mean so can I ask if doomrl run with SOD?

@HellVain Since they both work by replacing enemies, most likely they will not. I suggest trying Colourfull Hell. Turn off White, Black, Abyssal and Fireblu enemies in the menu and give it a whirl. If you want to play with Shades of Doom, do not turn on Chaos Mode as it makes it too much of a hectic experience.

Edited by Wanderer

No, they do not work in tandem. Champions is the only one that plays nicely with the others.

Personally I like the guessing game nature of Chaos Mode, but I know some people don't. IMHO, it really makes it feel like a proper hell horde in some maps, as I always imagine demons being a very diverse force rather than having very rigid species.

But yes, Colourful Hell is usually my second go to pack after Shades + Champions.

16 hours ago, eharper256 said:

No, they do not work in tandem. Champions is the only one that plays nicely with the others.

Personally I like the guessing game nature of Chaos Mode, but I know some people don't. IMHO, it really makes it feel like a proper hell horde in some maps, as I always imagine demons being a very diverse force rather than having very rigid species.

But yes, Colourful Hell is usually my second go to pack after Shades + Champions.

Yeah, colorful is nice but it can sometimes be annoying. Shades+ Champions is the perfect combinations since it basically adds balanced minibosses. 

4 hours ago, HellVain said:

Yeah, colorful is nice but it can sometimes be annoying. Shades+ Champions is the perfect combinations since it basically adds balanced minibosses. 

Glad you've found your monster setup now then. Yep, that's my go-to combination for most play as well, as I mentioned above.