Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LobsterBoy

Your pet peeves for what people do in doom

On 7/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, geo said:

No armor. It seems to be forgotten in plenty of maps.

Personally, I like having armor readily available at or near the beginning of a map. Just personal preference.

That being said, I think the lack of armor is probably a deliberate choice of the part of the designer. It seems like a strategy to delay the introduction of armor in order to heighten (some might say artificially heighten) the difficulty by making enemies' attacks more deadly.

If your monster placement and encounter design is good, you shouldn't really need to heighten the difficulty by withholding armor, but that's just my opinion.

The previous post also reminded of something that does bug me a bit: ammo starvation.

Some people love it. Personally, I don't necessarily find it as fun as having plenty of ammo on hand. Just my opinion.

However, I can see the strategy of the mapper to force you to think about what you're doing and how you approach fights instead of just blazing away through the entire map with copious amounts of bullets, shells, rockets, and cells.

I'd also go with seeing Mouselook in Doom. I'm not bothered by other modern features, like jumping, but mouselook just feels so out of place in Doom.