Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LobsterBoy

Your pet peeves for what people do in doom

I wanna know, for a community like this, what is your pet peeves of that people do within doom? It can be map making, online gaming or even the original doom itself. 

One of my all time biggest pet peeves that people in in the doom community is: Make standalone/required music WADs or making a doom wad with little content but stuffed it with a shit ton of lossless music. 

God I hate these things with every fibre being in my body... They serve no purpose expect make the WAD creator's ego feel good about themselves. They are never suited to the game and no, I don't care about your music taste and why you picked this song for this map. For me, I always have music off in game, I tend to edit these wads and removed them because they're space wasters. 

The damnest thing about this, is that, almost all server hosters FORCED you to download these fucking monstrosities. At the very least, if you're going to force us to download your 200 MB wad filled with copyrighted music, just fucking reconvert them to 128kbps or less MP3s, that way, I don't have to delete my doom 2 wad folders every year and keep losing random forgotten wads that died in the history of the internet.

Edit: Seriously, fuck you and your 300 mb wads with 66% of it filled with music. 

35 minutes ago, LobsterBoy said:

I don't have to delete my doom 2 wad folders every year and keep losing random forgotten wads that died in the history of the internet.

Order them with the largest first, and delete only the stupidly huge ones.

For me, it's when I watch people do demos, or other videos: they typically pick up ammo when they don't need it (with 98 shells, someone will more than likely pick up a box of shells). That makes me want to scream.

Vanilla WADs that place an overemphasis on storytelling, when it isn't required. Just let me kill something already. 

10 minutes ago, Poncho said:

For me, it's when I watch people do demos, or other videos: they typically pick up ammo when they don't need it (with 98 shells, someone will more than likely pick up a box of shells). That makes me want to scream.

...guilty.

Placing keys in secrets that are required to progress the level to the exit. Good lord, nothing makes me rage faster. It's not clever, it's honestly lazy imho.

I really dislike when I download a wad for an advanced source port but the author doesn't make it clear which features are (or aren't!) intended to be used. I recall playing this one ZDoom wad where I was supposed to jump, but since the level layout was otherwise pretty vanilla, I had no idea and tried playing it like, well, Doom.

Also, I haven't been around in a while, do people still complain about maps not being fun with Brutal Doom?

46 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Order them with the largest first, and delete only the stupidly huge ones.

There are other reasons why I've deleted my doom wad every year but when you download a lot of wads for servers, you tend to stopped caring about memewad2006.wad and care more about games that required that extra few gigs of space.

Also, I haven't been around in a while, do people still complain about maps not being fun with Brutal Doom?

I never consider brutal doom fun and the fact that there's mods build on top of mods for mod, it just got so pointless to join servers with them. Also the creator, a huge blatant racist, sexist, homophobic twat.  

I've seen this in other places besides just Doom (usually TF2), but when there's no activity or monsters around and it's just walking to the next area, I see a lot of people just constantly switching weapons back and forth for no apparent reason at all. I can understand doing that to check the ammo if it's not already displayed somewhere else, but I've seen people do this like it's some kind of habit or tic or something. It's a minor peeve, I know, but it does get a bit annoying sometimes.

42 minutes ago, Poncho said:

i do this by accident all the time, sorry >.<

1 hour ago, Gaia74 said:

Terry wads

Especially the ones that start out looking like good, well-made wads. Then you step on to a teleport pad or you cross a walkover line and suddenly you end up in eye-raping madness that is inevitably focused on sticking things in any and all of your orifices.

1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

Especially the ones that start out looking like good, well-made wads. Then you step on to a teleport pad or you cross a walkover line and suddenly you end up in eye-raping madness that is inevitably focused on sticking things in any and all of your orifices.

yes,

but one thing i like from the terry wads is the boss battles, is greater :P (and made by touhou fans ...... Or so it seems)

When someone picks up a Soulsphere with like 30% health remaining instead of getting nearby Stimpacks and Medikits to boost your health BEFORE getting the Soulsphere.

And picking up large ammo boxes when near maximum ammo.

People who pick up Invincibility Spheres when there's no enemies around and then enter a room full of enemies after it wears off. 

1 hour ago, Maser said:

People who pick up Invincibility Spheres when there's no enemies around and then enter a room full of enemies after it wears off. 

the blursphere , It is not very useful let's say

30 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

the blursphere , It is not very useful let's say

I know.  I was talking about the green sphere that makes you invincible. 

1 minute ago, Maser said:

I know.  I was talking about the green sphere that makes you invincible. 

ohhh god, i understand now , yes me too i hate that persons (although it has happened to me)

38 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

When @42PercentHealth insults pain elementals, so rude >:/

I'll stop insulting them when they stop giving birth to stupid, screeching, flying hellspawn all over the map I'm trying to enjoy! >:-| And you say I'm rude...

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

Vanilla WADs that place an overemphasis on storytelling, when it isn't required. Just let me kill something already. 

sometimes i want that in a one wad, but a one good, not a typically base invaded :U

People who play vanilla wads under port conditions that break them, and review the map as broken.

Likewise, people who pick up old mods with weird DOS install processes, can't figure out how to get them to work, and review the mod as broken.

Less of a problem nowadays since some much-needed changes were made to the idgames frontend review section, but people who would leave bad reviews saying "I didn't play this but I already know from the text file that it's crap".

People who complain that id levels are "a maze" although it's usually non-Doomers who do that.

So in a nutshell people who give undeservedly crappy video/idgames reviews I guess.

When a player repeatedly fires the super shotgun at a monster far away, as if the chaingun or regular shotgun don't exist.

Tons of brutal doom based multiplayer servers and hardly any classic servers.

22 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

When a player repeatedly fires the super shotgun at a monster far away, as if the chaingun or regular shotgun don't exist.

Or repeatedly trying to select the super shotgun when you're out of shells, but you have 600 cells, 400 bullets, and 100 rockets.

Mappers:

• Too many PE's (one is too many), too many hitscanners, too many ledge snipers
  • Too much pain sector, or any mandatory pain sector
  • HR2 map 28
  • Not making slaughter maps

Players:

34 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

• ^ that
  • When they insist they know how the BFG works, but shoot the plasma ball at a group of monsters and then hide
  • When they insist that they are dying because of bad mapping and RNG, when it is clear that they don't understand the fight.
  • When they cheat

9 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

• When they insist they know how the BFG works, but shoot the plasma ball at a group of monsters and then hide

me too

People who use the linear/bilinear/trilinear texture filters in gzdoom and then upload footage to youtube. I hope they trip and fall in map21 and get stuck there forever

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Mappers:

• Too many PE's (one is too many), too many hitscanners, too many ledge snipers
  • Too much pain sector, or any mandatory pain sector
  • HR2 map 28
  • Not making slaughter maps

k just for you i'm making a slaughtermap with a shitload of PEs, hitscanners, ledge snipers, and mandatory damage runs spread throughout the map, all in the style of hr2 map28. hope you like it

Honestly, I'm pretty lenient nowadays when it comes to this stuff, at least mapping-wise. As long as your map isn't boring to me (Doom 1-esque gameplay falls into this category most of the time), I'm probably going to be fine with it. Gameplay-wise, though? Slow play where "constant backtracking to safe areas and/or cheesing encounters" tends to be the main strategy bothers me.