Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arvell

[GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.1

Was following the WAD's development through your #screenshotsaturday postings on Twitter. Stoked to finally see it released!

Just UV-Max'ed the level. Very pleasant experience. The wait was definitely worth it. Beautiful, not excessive, detailing, with custom texture pack alone, I'm guessing, was a lot of work. However, it was made easy by all the health and ammo that level throws at you. You can safely remove half of it without fracturing the experience.

Well now, that is what call clean presentation. The screenies look amazing, the Doom/Deus ex mashup was something I never thought was gonna happen, yet here it is. Awesome.

Just played the map - loved everything about it except the disappointingly short length.

Just did a playthrough, since Deus Ex (the original) is one of my other favourite things. With Trailblazer because AMERICA FUCK YEAH.

7qDRHA0.png

You've done a good job nailing the cyberpunk looks, though these stairs right at the beginning, I'm not too fond of the texture on them.

IUuyqFb.png

Loved the Arcade, was one of my favourite sections!

qYYjIIg.png

As was the hacking minigame culminating in the Cyberdemon Firewall.

6vg46tF.png

This vent is kinda hard to get into, I kept going over the top.

Sadly, I couldn't finish the level for some reason. I insta-gibbed the Spider Mastermind (after all, the Nutcracker was provided in Cyberspace) when I got to the top and then for some reason the exit switch didn't rise (even after hitting the 'kill-switch' behind the servers).

i5R2z1k.png

wwJwfsk.png

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Well now, that is what call clean presentation. The screenies look amazing, the Doom/Deus ex mashup was something I never thought was gonna happen, yet here it is. Awesome.

There was a Deus Doom episode released back 2015, that was using textures from the very first Deus Ex game, but it wasn't nearly as good as this.

28 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

WOAH

WOAH :D

6 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Just UV-Max'ed the level. Very pleasant experience. The wait was definitely worth it. Beautiful, not excessive, detailing, with custom texture pack alone, I'm guessing, was a lot of work. However, it was made easy by all the health and ammo that level throws at you. You can safely remove half of it without fracturing the experience.

Thank you for the kind feedback!
I'm planning on diversifying the experience further with an update or two, making the different difficulties more distinct.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Thank you!

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

Just played the map - loved everything about it except the disappointingly short length.

Haha, that's because I'm a sloooooow mapper :)
Hope that my next projects will take less time, so I could provide more content!

Just now, eharper256 said:

Sadly, I couldn't finish the level for some reason. I insta-gibbed the Spider Mastermind (after all, the Nutcracker was provided in Cyberspace) when I got to the top and then for some reason the exit switch didn't rise (even after hitting the 'kill-switch' behind the servers).

Huh, the issue might be with the Trailblazer, but I'm not sure.
Death of the Spider Mastermind triggers the elevators with additional monsters and only after them the exit button is raised.
I'm gonna need to look into this later.

@Arvell Have you thought about making another thread for your level on ZDoom forums and, maybe, uploading it to idgames once all the planned updates are seen through?

EDIT: Oops, just saw that you already posted it on ZDoom :)

Short, sweet, aesthetically stunning. A bit easy, but whatever. A full upload would have taken me forever, but I did capture the last few minutes of my first run through it, admittedly using a cocktail of other mods to crank up the sci-fi factor.

If you care enough to fix this, there is some odd Japanese in the level. The vending machines say デュース (deuce) instead of ジュース (juice). This texture looks really weird: where is the other half of 零? This is wrong because ”ー” should be written vertically in vertical text. The ウエット sign is very unnatural: I would recommend 清掃中 instead. Also I don't think it makes sense to double the トイレ sign on the toilet stalls: that's simply not done anywhere AFAIK. And 倉庫 is "warehouse", so I don't understand why there is an office room inside. Sorry for nitpicking but I couldn't just ignore it when I saw Japanese labels. :)

Also, post this on http://i.iddqd.ru/!

15 minutes ago, Dominic Tarason said:

Short, sweet, aesthetically stunning. A bit easy, but whatever. A full upload would have taken me forever, but I did capture the last few minutes of my first run through it, admittedly using a cocktail of other mods to crank up the sci-fi factor.

Oooh, it's always fascinating to see how players engage with your work. Thanks for the vid!

12 minutes ago, Memfis said:

If you care enough to fix this, there is some odd Japanese in the level. The vending machines say デュース (deuce) instead of ジュース (juice). This texture looks really weird: where is the other half of 零? This is wrong because ”ー” should be written vertically in vertical text. The ウエット sign is very unnatural: I would recommend 清掃中 instead. Also I don't think it makes sense to double the トイレ sign on the toilet stalls: that's simply not done anywhere AFAIK. And 倉庫 is "warehouse", so I don't understand why there is an office room inside. Sorry for nitpicking but I couldn't just ignore it when I saw Japanese labels. :)

Also, post this on http://i.iddqd.ru/!

Excellent suggestions, thank you! I'm gathering my typos for the update :)

I have been silently following this on Twitter. It looks so unique! Congrats on release. Unfortunately I’m not near my comp right now :P

Is it wrong to want something exactly like this in Doom Eternal?

I can only imagine that blasting demons in a Neo-Tokyo skyscraper would be really aesthetic as fuck. I honestly can’t wait to try this out!

4 hours ago, eharper256 said:

IUuyqFb.png

Loved the Arcade, was one of my favourite sections!

@Arvell: The ー in ゲーム should be a vertical line, since the text is oriented vertically. This reads as "ge ichi mu" instead of "ge-mu".

3 hours ago, Arvell said:

Huh, the issue might be with the Trailblazer, but I'm not sure.

Death of the Spider Mastermind triggers the elevators with additional monsters and only after them the exit button is raised.
I'm gonna need to look into this later.

Ah, thinking about it, if it is specifically looking for a Spider Mastermind death, that might be the problem; as I also had Shades of Doom on, and Spidey was replaced with one of its variants (appropriately in this case, the Mecha Quadrapod).

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!! *pounds Download button*

Saw this on Twitter and I am so jealous I didn't have this idea and make it myself.  Thank you for releasing a texture pack!  I might use this for a techbase type map I'm planning, and you will certainly get credit.

Congratulations on what is in many ways an extraordinary piece of work! I've never felt comfortable with jumping, crouching and freelook in Doom but this map wins me over with its beautiful custom textures and unique atmosphere. The fights are a little mundane and unchallenging, but that's easily forgiven. Really impressive stuff.

Fantastic map, loved it. My only criticism is that some of the hallways are a bit cramped but I understand that they are that way to make the textures fit and make it aesthetically pleasing (which it definitely is!), so I'm not calling for any changes there. I really enjoy when doom mappers go wild with the aesthetic and this one was super cool and unique.

Deus Ex is in my top 5 games of all time so I really enjoyed this wad. The aesthetic was captured beautifully, truly some amazing textures and levels. Definitely a heavy HR vibe rather than DX1 but still awesome.

The level design was great, I know for a fact there were areas I missed and I love that. It really reinforces the sense of exploration. I'm going to play through this again with a mod or two added in and try to find all the secrets. That brings me to my only real criticism (other than length 'cause I want moreeee) and that is that it's too easy. I played on UV and it was a cakewalk, the gameplay almost doesn't fit. It's a lot of cramped areas taking out low tier monsters with 0 worry about them actually killing you. If the enemies were deadlier and the weapons were tweaked (even just black gloves + new statusbar) it'd make a big difference. This is easily done by other mods but I still feel like that's missing. The same goes for a new titlepic.

20 hours ago, Arvell said:

2. Launch the map via Diabolus_Ex_1.0.bat to play with the intended settings

Is it possible to have something like that without messing up my mouse sensitivity? What settings does it change, which you think are important for this map? I'm suprised there is no ambient occlusion, it would look neat.  

3 minutes ago, Lampenpam said:

Is it possible to have something like that without messing up my mouse sensitivity? What settings does it change, which you think are important for this map? I'm suprised there is no ambient occlusion, it would look neat.  

I used my normal gzdoom install and cfg with no issues. I can't check the config that came with the wad but it seems inconsequential (correct me if I'm wrong Arvell).

17 hours ago, Rook said:

Congratulations on what is in many ways an extraordinary piece of work! I've never felt comfortable with jumping, crouching and freelook in Doom but this map wins me over with its beautiful custom textures and unique atmosphere. The fights are a little mundane and unchallenging, but that's easily forgiven. Really impressive stuff.

16 hours ago, CJacobsSA said:

Fantastic map, loved it. My only criticism is that some of the hallways are a bit cramped but I understand that they are that way to make the textures fit and make it aesthetically pleasing (which it definitely is!), so I'm not calling for any changes there. I really enjoy when doom mappers go wild with the aesthetic and this one was super cool and unique.

7 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Outstanding work! There is nothing more to say...

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png First Demo Attempt - GZDoom 3.4.1

In my collection:

Blue_5-5.png - Visuals (5 / 5)
Blue_4-5.png - Detailing (4 / 5)
Blue_3-5.png - Gameplay (3 / 5)
Blue_5-5.png - Atmosphere (5 / 5)
Orange_3-5.png - Difficulty (3 / 5)

Green_5-5.png - Overall  (5 / 5)

Thank you so much for the kind feedback, folks!

5 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Deus Ex is in my top 5 games of all time so I really enjoyed this wad. The aesthetic was captured beautifully, truly some amazing textures and levels. Definitely a heavy HR vibe rather than DX1 but still awesome.

The level design was great, I know for a fact there were areas I missed and I love that. It really reinforces the sense of exploration. I'm going to play through this again with a mod or two added in and try to find all the secrets. That brings me to my only real criticism (other than length 'cause I want moreeee) and that is that it's too easy. I played on UV and it was a cakewalk, the gameplay almost doesn't fit. It's a lot of cramped areas taking out low tier monsters with 0 worry about them actually killing you. If the enemies were deadlier and the weapons were tweaked (even just black gloves + new statusbar) it'd make a big difference. This is easily done by other mods but I still feel like that's missing. The same goes for a new titlepic.

Glad you liked it :D
Speaking of difficulty - I'll definetely include the rebalanced enemy placement for UV and Nightmare in the upcoming update along with several other bugfixes.

4 hours ago, Lampenpam said:

The .ini included with the map is mostly graphical stuff (Nearest Neighbour filtering, FOV, etc.) and making sure the autorun is off and the jumping and crounching are bound. Moreover, this .ini doesn't replace your own GZDoom config, and you can freely launch the .wad by simply dragging it over your gzdoom.exe and playing however you feel comfortable.

The ambient occlusion is turned off by default since some of it is embedded in textures.

Love it, wish I had more of it to play. I would love to see a map pack (does not need to be huge, I would still love to see 3 or 4 more levels) about you taking down some mega corporation. however I understand that would take a lot of time. I'm interested to see what you make next! 

Forgive my poor english...

I played this wad with Project Overkill(A mod for Project Brutality made by 1337Y01_05VV4G) an hour ago.

I thought that it`s a pity to make this wad a single map.:(

Mr.Arvell should have made this wad that be included map01-10.

But,Outside scenery,indoor texture was very wonderful!!

I remember the SF movie Blade runner 2049.lol

Message From Japanese Doom Player.

Screenshot_Doom_20180709_113358.png

Edited by Chameleon Takamiya : I