Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arvell

[GZDoom] Diabolus Ex v1.1

This is an amazing level.

I love Deus Ex (especially the first game, but also Human Revolution) and this has exactly that Deus Ex feel.

Also, I love how the player can take alternate routes to avoid triggering the alarms. And I like how the level is connected with vents.

Plus, the gameplay is really good and the level is good looking.

Finally, those login credentials are pretty cool references.

Looks incredible. I'll give it a go.

Spoiler

Coincidentally I just got finished with the bitter sweet taste of Mankind Divided as you released this.

I finally got 100% kills and 100% secrets (it took me a while to find one particular pair, and on various runs certain secret flags would fail to trigger). I think I found a bug though.

Spoiler

If you go through the Data Transfer portal, and then open the door back to the warp lab later and go back through the warp, you get stuck because the warp won't activate again.

@Chameleon Takamiya Thank you so much! And I apologise for occasional mistakes in Japanese - I'll be fixing that in the update :)

@ShoDemo @NPC_CO8ALT @DOOMGABR[RU] @Zeepington Thank you for the kind words, folks!

@RikohZX Thanks for pointing this out. I'm not sure what causes the trigger fails - I think that some gameplay mods seem to shift the sector and linedef properties. The repeateable portal is fixed and will be in the update.

This is the best environment art I seen in a Doom mod, and it deserves a much bigger project with cyberpunk sprites to complement it.

What a wholesome map, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I hope you (heck, anyone for that matter) do more.

15 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Wow, it looks like your work is going viral! Doom definitely needs more cyberpunk!

Shit just wanted to post this myself >:(

As a big fan of Doom, Deus Ex and cyberpunk, well, what a big surprise this was! I love the aesthetic and mood of the level, with so many details (is that rutger hauer on the outdoor?). It's nothing short of perfect - you've just nailed it, vent included (is it a first on doom?), and it even has a cyberspace section.

It could be just a little more difficult on the gameplay level... and i'd love to play just a couple of more levels of DEX!

Great, just great, Doom needs more cyberpunk.

(now, someone give a laser sword to play this again!)

On 7/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, Dominic Tarason said:

Short, sweet, aesthetically stunning. A bit easy, but whatever. A full upload would have taken me forever, but I did capture the last few minutes of my first run through it, admittedly using a cocktail of other mods to crank up the sci-fi factor.

Hi! which weapon mod is that one? Could you provide a link to it, if possible? Thanks ;)

1 hour ago, lgdoomworld said:

Hi! which weapon mod is that one?

Check the description of his video. It's Final Doomer.

SMALL WORLD DEPT: I saw the "jcdenton / whatashame" password attempt on one computer, so did you know that I am directly responsible for "what a shame" becoming a meme?

I was replaying Deus Ex in 2007 and found that line especially funny and uploaded a video. Prior to that it was not ever a line really quoted by anyone, at least to the best of my knowledge.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

SMALL WORLD DEPT: I saw the "jcdenton / whatashame" password attempt on one computer, so did you know that I am directly responsible for "what a shame" becoming a meme?

What a sha... no, wait! That's actually awesome :D

Just gave it a try and I must say, that I really like the aesthetics of this map. The more recent "golden/dark grey" look of Human Revolutions combined with a more oldschool "pixely textures" style is just gorgeous. I was especially surprised how slick everything looks. While playing I almost wished there'd be even more ducts to crawl around in, but nonetheless, great work and very fun to play. Makes me wish there'd be a complete Episode of this incl. objectives like hacking or stealing documents.

I like how there's seemingly a way around most fights, I should try a pacifist run.

There's a partly broken door right before the roof:

sGS2JS2.png

So it's a fake door anyway, but only a tiny sliver of it (in white here) will display the message when activated.

Hey folks, thanks for your overwhelmingly positive feedback!

I've updated the archive with the 1.1 version containing bugfixes, balancing for new difficulties and reduced filesize.

Check it out in the first post

ultraviolence.gif

Just did two Ultra-Violence playthroughs with the 1.1 version of the WAD.

Went for a UV-max for the first playthrough. While twenty newly added enemies aren't making the level much harder, given that they are low to mid-tier ones, at least you have some more things to spend all the ammo on. Plus, I'm under the impression that the level itself isn't supposed to be that much of a challenge to begin with. I do not get the placement of both the Megaspere, in the server room with the Archvile, and the Soulsphere in the secret room near it. If I went to the server room, then I got the Megaspere and killed the Archvile. If I killed the Archvile - I opened the secret room, which is literary across the corridor and impossible to miss, with the Soulsphere. Does the player really need that Soulsphere after they just grabbed the Megaspere?

The second playthrough was a no secrets one. And since you do not get the SSG at the beginning of the level, and possibly not even a chaingun until later, unless you go for a crawl space after the first lift, it was noticeably more challenging. So in a final boss room I went for a manually killing the Mastermind, instead of using the kill switch, and was left with no ammo and two Barons. Killing those without a Berserk wasn't fun. I had 220 cells in my inventory, however. But no Plasma Gun.

Don't forget you're allowed to jump. Get on the container with the revenant and the ammox box, and from there a running jump will get you to the yellow skull.

@Wanderer Thanks for giving it another try!
Yes, speaking of the bonus placement - this was a decision born from testing. I noticed that a lot of testers were caught off guard by the Archvile and wasted all their Megasphere armor and health on the battle. So, the Soulsphere was placed there more for safety reasons to be ready for a final battle.

@Cacodemon345 yup, @Gez is right - don't forget about jumping!

This map is so damn stylish. Clean as hell too. No unnecessary lines or detailing.
Was pretty terrific overall.