Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dokta Whawee

Ending map after enemy is killed?

If you saw in my last post, you know I imported the MotherDemon into one of my maps (Thank god I figured that out), but I now have a question. How do I edit my Mapinfo so that the map will end once you kill the Mother Demon?

Alright, so, for my custom Mother Demon enemy, would I put in:

SpecialAction = "Motherdemon"

SpecialAction_ExitLevel

?

Also, I must thank you for helping me with this.

You can also just script it in UDMF. Assign the monster in question action 80, script 1. Then put the following into the script editor:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)

{

Delay(140); // this is so it doesn't insta end and gives the death animation time to play out, adjust if needed

Exit_Normal(0);

}

29 minutes ago, Dokta Whawee said:

Okay, how do you access the script editor in question?

In GZDoom Builder, it's in the top left and hovering over it will say Script Editor. It only appears in map formats that support scripting.

Make sure that after saving scripts (pressing Ctrl+S in the script editor) the statur bar says: "compiled without errors".

If you happen to have some errors, scripts will not be available and you need to check against any typos.

3 hours ago, Dokta Whawee said:

Okay, I did copy it into the script editor, but it says "P_Startscript: Unknown Script 1".

That sounds like the BEHAVIOR was not compiled or had an error compiling and the game can't find the script.

Post what is inside the script editor for the map.

You can use script 1 or script "1", but you must also indicate the type of script, for example

script 1 (void) // numbered script

which is the traditional way,

or

script "1" (void) // named script

but, using numbers in a named script is selfdefeating, since you should really use a name which makes sense, like

script "opendoor1" (void)

something which descibes what the script will do.

12 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

using numbers in a named script is selfdefeating, since you should really use a name which makes sense, like

script "opendoor1" (void)

something which descibes what the script will do.

I sort of disagree that it's self defeating. A numbered script is a bad idea in a gameplay mod because maps may use numbers.

In a mapping environment however, I usually imagine script numbers corresponding to map events (i.e. the first ambush event is script 1) and the script would have a comment above it explaining what the script does.

Since map scripts only have map scope it's very easy to just use numbers as you design a map and let specially named scripts be for gameplay stuff exclusively.

But everyone has their preference...

I am getting the same errors, my script looks like this:

#include "zcommon.acs"
script 1 (void)
{
Delay(140);
Exit_Normal(0);
}

I should say that this is the first script editing I have ever done, so I do not have something called "ACC.EXE" or "ACS.EXE" installed yet...

Do I need them?

You can't compile scripts without a compiler. When you install/download GZDoom Builder, it should already include the needed files to compile scripts and it should automatically know that the compiler is there. Make sure you are on GZDB and are in the UDMF format.

For Slade3 you have to download ACC.exe separately and then link to the installation via

Edit - Preferences...

Spoiler

RyTN2jz.png

You may have to update zdefs.acs and zspecial.acs

Then create a New Entry, name it SCRIPTS.

Highlight SCRIPTS and select View As Text.

Enter the scripts and compile.

GZDoom Builder (DB2, DBX, GZDB, GZDBBF) already come with the compiler included.

However, only the latest DBX and GZDBBF have the latest files for the compiler. For the

other editor see above to update.

To open the script editor use F10 (default).

Enter the script(s) and compile.