Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C4lCiUM

Chocolate Doom Scripts?

I know I sound really dumb, but opening custom wads with chocolate doom needs GitHub/OpenGL scripts, but I'm new to all of this. Any help? 

What you are asking isn't exactly clear. Github or OpenGL don't have scripts; Github is just a repo provider as holds no meaning to Chocolate Doom, and OpenGL in Chocolate Doom is provided by SDL2 and has no special build process other than having SDL2.

The only script that exists that is part of the build process is cmake. Are you having a problem using cmake?

Just type '-file wadname.wad' in setup if what you're trying to do is play custom wads in Choco.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Just type '-file wadname.wad' in setup if what you're trying to do is play custom wads in Choco.

Sometimes I have had to use -merge instead. Not really sure what the difference is or why -file sometimes doesn't load the WAD correctly.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Not really sure what the difference is or why -file sometimes doesn't load the WAD correctly.

I'm 99.9% sure it has to do with how patches were handled in the original exe files.  We used to have to use a tool like deusf to merge a pwad with the iwad.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, C4lCiUM said:

Well what I meant was like the scripts. I can't really understand them. Any help?

What is it you're trying to do or understand? If it's something on GitHub, post a link to it.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:44 PM, YukiRaven said:

I'm 99.9% sure it has to do with how patches were handled in the original exe files.  We used to have to use a tool like deusf to merge a pwad with the iwad.

The difference between them is that -file works exactly as -file did in vanilla Doom, where loading PWADs with changed sprites (or flats?) would throw out all sprites/flats present in the IWAD and use the ones in the PWAD instead - many older mods needed to include every single unchanged sprite/flat from DOOM.WAD for that to work correctly, which was illegal (you may see a lot of 1994/1995 WADs on /idgames that are noted as "cleaned" versions, as a result). Tools like DEUSF and DMADDS were used later, to splice the unchanged sprites into a PWAD in order to then use it with -file; -merge mimics this behavior so that these tools are unnecessary.

Disclaimer: I have not read the Doom Specs and may be referencing certain facts incorrectly or just plain getting things wrong.

Ok, I stirred up a LOT of confusion. I kinda feel stupid for posting the GitHub/OpenGL thing cause that was CLEARLY not correct. Yes, I was trying to open up wads in chocolate doom, thanks for the help.