Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skully Boots

GZDoom Builder won't list new weapons from Realm 667

Recommended Posts

I've been trying to add some new weapons to my mod from Realm 667, but they won't show up in the "Edit thing" list. I am able to spawn them and have them in my inventory when I'm in game, but they won't show up in the editor. The weapons I'm trying to use are:

 

Flamethrower - https://realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/975-flamethrower

Grenade Launcher - https://realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/805-grenade-launcher

Railgun - https://realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/806-railgun

 

I really would like some help with figuring out how to use these in the editor. Not even being able to place them in my maps kinda defeats the purpose of even having them. :(

Share this post


Link to post

First thing to check for: do they have a DoomEdNum in the DECORATE file?

What I mean is this:

actor Pistol : Weapon 5010 //The 5010 is the DoomEdNum. Without this, the object can't be placed in GZDoom Builder's things mode.
{}

If they do (which I'm assuming they don't) check the bottom of the list for a category called Decorate, they could be in there.

If they don't, then you need to give them one (each needs its own number), preferably a number like 10000 to 32767, which are all empty numbers so they don't overwrite anything you might need later.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

First thing to check for: do they have a DoomEdNum in the DECORATE file?

What I mean is this:


actor Pistol : Weapon 5010 //The 5010 is the DoomEdNum. Without this, the object can't be placed in GZDoom Builder's things mode.
{}

If they do (which I'm assuming they don't) check the bottom of the list for a category called Decorate, they could be in there.

If they don't, then you need to give them one (each needs its own number), preferably a number like 10000 to 32767, which are all empty numbers so they don't overwrite anything you might need later.

They didn't have DoomEdNums so I put some in, as you said, but it didn't seem to do anything. They don't show up in any of the categories.

Edited by Skully Boots

Share this post


Link to post

This seems to be happening with increasing frequency and I can't figure why.

With the DoomEdNum, the actor should be in the Things menu somewhere (often in Decorate, but sometimes others if the //$Category keyword is used).

You should be able to search for the thing in the Type field next to where you see the image of the actor. Type the DoomEdNum (eg, 5010 to find the pistol) in that field and it should show it to you. If it doesn't (which it should), then try to place an actor with that number anyway and see if it shows up in-game.

If not, then the only thing I can think of is to restart GZD Builder if you haven't already, and beyond that I've no idea what's going on.

Share this post


Link to post

An alternative approach is to use Mapinfo.  At the top of your Mapinfo lump in your WAD/PK3, write this:

 

DoomEdNums {
10000 = UTNTFlamethrower
10001 = *Name of weapon*
10002 = *Name of weapon*
etc. etc.
}

 

This way you can easily keep a track of what has Editor Numbers.  Just make sure the weapons don't also have DoomEdNums in their own Deocrate files (which it doesn't look like they do).

 

It's not meant to do anything different to the above approach Aquila outlined, but it might somehow work where that one didn't.

Share this post


Link to post

You need to look for the GZDoom Builder configuration file (there are several, so you'll need to find the one you use for mapping). Open it up and then you can add the items you want. Once you restart GZDoom Builder, it should be in there if it was done correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Bauul said:

An alternative approach is to use Mapinfo.  At the top of your Mapinfo lump in your WAD/PK3, write this:

 


DoomEdNums {
10000 = UTNTFlamethrower
10001 = *Name of weapon*
10002 = *Name of weapon*
etc. etc.
}

 

This way you can easily keep a track of what has Editor Numbers.  Just make sure the weapons don't also have DoomEdNums in their own Deocrate files (which it doesn't look like they do).

 

It's not meant to do anything different to the above approach Aquila outlined, but it might somehow work where that one didn't.

It worked! Thank you so much! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Uhm, actually... I honestly feel kinda stupid... I clustered all the new weapons and monsters into a pk3 for easy use. However, for some reason, with the map I was working on I had an older version of that pk3 set as a resource instead of the newer one. The old one didn't have those weapons. Bauul's method still worked tho, because i got 2 entries of each weapon when I did it. One with the 10001, 10002, etc, and one with the ACTUAL DoomEdNum. So if people are still having this problem, that method does work. I guess the problem was that I just needed to be more organized with my files. xD

 

Edit: Well actually, only the grenade launcher and flamethrower work. I still had to make that MAPINFO lump for the railgun. :0

Edited by Skully Boots

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Skully Boots said:

One with the 10001, 10002, etc, and one with the ACTUAL DoomEdNum

 

I'm glad it worked! To clarify something, no new item, weapon or monster has a 'defined' DoomEdNum, it's simply whatever number you want to give it.

 

Some creators give their new items DoomEdNums themselves, but generally that's not a good idea as there's no guarantee that they don't accidentally pick the same number as someone else (which would result in only one item appearing). It's always a good idea to give any new Things your own list of DoomEdNums and then you can be sure none overlap.

 

If you only have a few new Things, writing the DoomEdNum directly into the Decorate is perfectly fine. The mapinfo method is mostly useful for if you have lots of new Things, then it's easiest to keep track of what you've assigned a DoomEdNum to.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bauul said:

 

I'm glad it worked! To clarify something, no new item, weapon or monster has a 'defined' DoomEdNum, it's simply whatever number you want to give it.

 

Some creators give their new items DoomEdNums themselves, but generally that's not a good idea as there's no guarantee that they don't accidentally pick the same number as someone else (which would result in only one item appearing). It's always a good idea to give any new Things your own list of DoomEdNums and then you can be sure none overlap.

 

If you only have a few new Things, writing the DoomEdNum directly into the Decorate is perfectly fine. The mapinfo method is mostly useful for if you have lots of new Things, then it's easiest to keep track of what you've assigned a DoomEdNum to.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. -w-

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×