• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarge945

[WIP/REL] Gameplay-focused flashlight based on Steve's Flashlight

Posted (edited)

TLDR:

*slaps roof of gzdoom*

This bad boy can fit so many dynamic lights and effects!

Description:

I really like Steve's flashlight. Having an actual spotlight based flashlight, rather than trying to place lights (or whatever the old ones do) looks WAY better.

That said, I didn't like how the flashlight was effectively "free". That is, it basically nullified dark areas with no real balance.

I decided to modify it and (at least in my opinion), improve it's functionality from a gameplay standpoint in the following ways:

• You will start off with a handheld flashlight (I used sprites from Realm667, sue me :P).
    • You can either light up the environment or use weapons, ala Doom 3
  • A headlamp has a chance to replace the Infrared goggles, which will allow you to have a flashlight and a weapon out at the same time (just like how the original mod worked)
  • Removed the "Flashlight size inner/outer" and "flashlight intensity" and "flashlight location" settings, now it's based on slightly higher than the old defaults and emenates from your "body". Being able to configure it like this was too close to cheating.
    • You can still change the color, which has been changed from a server variable to a user variable, so theoretically different players can have different flashlight colors. However, this mod is NOT TESTED in multiplayer, so take from it what you will
    • If enough people complain, I will re-add the intensity, size, position etc variables to the config menu.
  • Configuration to give the flashlight black gloves or standard gloves, or try to autodetect Brutal Doom/Project Brutality and use the correct glove colour.
  • Option to always use the headlamp (which is cheating, but it's there) instead of having to find it.
  • Slider to change map brightness, similar to DarkDoom, but configurable.
  • Configurable Button to switch to/from the flashlight, or turn on/off the headlamp.

Please let me know what you think. I originally threw this together because I liked a different Flashlight mod that acted the same way, but found it extremely inferior to Steve's in terms of the actual effect, and I wanted a DarkDoom value in-between the standard DarkDoom offerings. So I made my own. This is definitely not polished.

You will obviously need a very recent build of gzdoom that supports spotlights

Steve - for the extremely useful spotlight-based flashlights, and his extremely permissive license

Realm667 - For free to use sprites and sounds.

License:

You can do with this what you wish, it's only fair since I was given the same permissions.

Download:

Flashlight.7z

Edited by sarge945