Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clanravencub

Doom for Raspberry pi

Hey all, just joined. This is going to be a bit rambley, so if you want to skip past that ramble look to the last paragraph.

I've played Doom since young but never actually messed about with custom wads, mods or other sourceports. Simply put I had the id releases and they scratched my need to blow things up. Now my computer died two years ago shortly after my first born and she killed my laptop a few months later, so I've been PCless for the last while and just now got the time to get things together.

I had been planning to go for a self built raspberry pi project. But having seen how active the doom community is, and how many weird and wonderful stuff there is that I'm itching to try out... The question is should I ditch the Pi plan and just go for a pc again? What will play on the pi?

Cheers all

I mean, a Pi is significantly cheaper than a new PC, especially if you want a mid-top range gaming rig.

However you'd want access to a computer to constantly modify your Pi.

Plus, you don't really need a top of the line PC to play Doom or 99% of the mods for it. A cheap desktop or laptop would do the trick just fine, plus the laptop would double as being portable just like the Pi would be.

It all depends really on what you want to spend.

According to Raspberry Pi page on Doom Wiki, only a handful of source ports are supported. Some require to be compiled, others have limited support (like running in software mode only). It is important to note however, that I do not know how up to date this information is.

Overall, I would second Wheresthebeef's suggestion about going for a cheaper PC. You can build a Ryzen 3 or G3250 PC for 500 bucks or less. Or go for a second-hand laptop.

Cheers guys

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

According to Raspberry Pi page on Doom Wiki, only a handful of source ports are supported. Some require to be compiled, others have limited support (like running in software mode only). It is important to note however, that I do not know how up to date this information is.

Yea I had checked that too, it's a little vague and pretty old, so who knows...

But yea a pc is probably the best way to go. I can always play around with the pi as well when I find the time