Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

[Old but interesting] Guy fixes Aliens: Colonial Marines Xeno AI by correcting one-letter typo in an ini file

Link

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTeather

Im sure you'll notice the spelling mistake

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTether

How do you not notice your AI is suddenly fucked after a single typo?

Didn't someone else discover this a few years ago? Here is one from a year ago:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul/news/the-biggest-bug-in-the-game-is-just-one-letter-long

I always felt a few specific aliens had better AI than "run up to player and die." Like there's one where you're trapped in a room with it and it will use vents and stuff as well as navigate around consoles... that is unless you play on easy and instantly kill them.

Edited by geo

I tried it. I couldn't tell the difference. Anything that gets near you just charges at you. Anything far away enough to take its time to go in a vent doesn't matter, because you can shoot it when its going in or shoot it when its coming out. The alien's charge melee turns into the best attack they have, because it forces you to move back. Even if it goes into the wall, or the ceiling, or beneath you under the floor, you have the proximity sensor, so you know where it is. Then when you see it, switch back to your weapon.

* edit *

OK, I went back and played without the AI fix. It was tougher, because enemies were less predictable and didn't march up toward you. Some can see this as a double edged sword, because seeing them do circles on walls as you shoot them can be funny, but that also means they strafe out of your fire when you shoot them or jump from long distances rather than run straight to you from long distances. When the lurkers spawned, they didn't immediately run toward me, some bluntly ran away from me, which turned into a hunt for them rather than instantly killing them. With that said, I did find one of the lurkers facing a wall doing nothing.

Edited by geo