Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

B.F.G and U.A.C stand for...

We know that the BFG stands for Big Fucking (Fragging) Gun. However, when I was 6 years old and first picked up the BFG on MAP08 of Doom 2, I did not have the manual and I didn't have the internet. I did not know what BFG stood for, so I came up with my own conclusion. I did the same thing for UAC.

B.F.G = Best Firing Gun (It made sense to 6 year old me)

U.A.C = United America Computer.

What did you guys think UAC and BFG stood for before looking it up?

A little backstory:

My first exposure to Doom was from the movie, (which my dad had on DVD around 2007/2008) so from the very beginning I had known the two acronyms as 'United Aerospace Corporation' and 'Bio Force Gun' without even realizing that Doom was even a video game, let alone one from 93' that still had a bustling community. 

Funnily enough, looking back at the main menu of the movie, it shows an option titled 'Doom 3 XBOX Demo' IIRC. To this day I still wonder how I didn't catch onto the fact that Doom was a video game, and not just a film with it's own established lore.

TL;DR:

B.F.G. = Bio Force Gun

U.A.C. = United Aerospace Corporation

I still called BFG the Big Fuckin' Gun when I was 13-14 year old..

I didn't get into Doom until recently unfortunately (when I got the original Doom and Doom II last year) so I already knew that it was Big Fucking Gun, but some dude I know called it the Butt Fucker Gun as a bit of a joke before he knew what it meant

I remember reading in an article (1994 maybe?) that BFG stood for Big Fraggin' Gun, so that's what I always thought of it as.

I always thought UAC stood for Union Aerospace Corporation or United Aerospace Corporation. I don't remember why.

What UAC stands for is something I've never thought about honestly, not even after all this time. Do we actually know for sure what it stands for?

As about the BFG, back when I was a kid I thought it was just the name of the weapon, not an acronym.

I was one of these weirdoes who read the text files before launching the game, and shareware Doom had this in its text file:

------------------------------------------------------------
THE STORY SO FAR
------------------------------------------------------------
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in 
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted 
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon 
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl 
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the 
Union Aerospace Corporation. 

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive 
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and 
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day 
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in 
the rec room. 

Likewise for the BFG, in the Official FAQ that appeared in the Doom folder after installing some patches:

[3-10-1]: What does BFG9000 stand for?
--------------------------------------
        Being the most powerful weapon, the only thing BFG9000 could stand
for would be "Big Fraggin' Gun." :)

This was read long before I got a full version of the game.

Slightly related: The Quake 3 Demo was one of the first times I played a game online, and I noticed people loved to put GG at the end of every match.

Me, being a 9 year old and not having much online experience, had no idea what the hell that meant, and my best guess was "Good God" as if implyng what all happened in the match was crazy. "That was crazy, GOOD GOD!"

Then when I told my older brother he slapped me across the head.

I thought I should get credit for getting half of it right.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

I was one of these weirdoes who read the text files before launching the game

As was I. I found out what they stood for when I got the Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom collector's pack in late '04/early '05, shortly after I started with Doom II.

Here is the Doom II manual, the first thing I saw, and for a while I thought Doom II and Doom II: Hell on Earth were two different games and I just had a manual for the latter. It doesn't say anything about UAC or what the BFG stood for, but they were explained as Gez said above.

I hadn't thought about it until I found it out from the official sources, so I don't have any real answer to this question.

3 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Slightly related: The Quake 3 Demo was one of the first times I played a game online, and I noticed people loved to put GG at the end of every match.

Me, being a 9 year old and not having much online experience, had no idea what the hell that meant, and my best guess was "Good God" as if implyng what all happened in the match was crazy. "That was crazy, GOOD GOD!" 

Then when I told my older brother he slapped me across the head.

I thought I should get credit for getting half of it right.

Same! Though instead of Quake, it was some MMO for me.

I'm pretty sure UAC was born from nVidia:

12-UAC.png

NvidiaExterior.gif

Its pretty clear when you're from the future looking at it in hindsight.

7 minutes ago, geo said:

Its pretty clear when you're from the future looking at it in hindsight.

Considering the UAC didn't really benefit mankind at all, should we not burn that building down and snap our gtx cards?

1 minute ago, Liberation said:

Considering the UAC didn't really benefit mankind at all, should we not burn that building down and snap our gtx cards?

If you want to burn down a building, just disable a graphics card fan and play any Unreal 4 engine game. That would kill 2 birds with one stone.

Always knew about UAC being Union Aerospace Corporation because it was written in one of my walkthrough books, but BFG was never elaborated on in any of them so I thought it was something like Best Friend Gun.

I remember for the longest time, I thought the U in UAC was really a V.  Guess my eyes back then were shittier than they are now.

Both the UAC and BFG stand for a brand you can trust. Progress. Stability. And most of all, the defense of Earth and its outlying colonies. The UAC is there for you, civilian; please think about our off-world internship program - Mars needs YOU.

(sponsored by the leading brand in clean, renewable power: Argent Energy)

12 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Both the UAC and BFG stand for a brand you can trust. Progress. Stability. And most of all, the defense of Earth and its outlying colonies. The UAC is there for you, civilian; please think about our off-world internship program - Mars needs YOU.

P.S. The UAC denies any and all accusations of the true meaning of 'BFG' being vulgar in any shape or form. Any employees that believe otherwise should attend our open forum at the Lazarus Labs at 4:50 PM to voice their concern. Please save your work.

3 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

From a documentary released in the year 2300:

"The UAC sought to solve the energy crisis for Earth and the outlying colonies using the newly discovered Argent Energy. While the promise of clean, renewable power from Argent Energy was alluring, the price the civilian world paid was high. Even after the destruction of the UAC Mars facility by demonic forces, Samuel Hayden, the director of that facility, sought to continue his research into Argent Energy. He promised progress and stability for the people of Earth and a future of boundless energy. Unfortunately, this hubris proved foolish for the people of Earth, as the forces of Hell were able to invade Earth and wreak untold destruction."

Yeah I always knew BFG was Big Fucking Gun...

because I read the novels... they are pretty good.

The Doom books.. i need to read them again.

I never really knew what BFG meant until I was 14. But even then what I learned was that they named it "Big Fucking Gun" instead of the original name. 

Sometimes I like to call it:

Britney's Fat Gun ;)

On 7/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, Agent6 said:

What UAC stands for is something I've never thought about honestly, not even after all this time. Do we actually know for sure what it stands for?

Yes, we do. RTFM.