Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Final Boss

Having read a few people's thoughts on the Cyberdemon etc, I was wondering what peoples views are on final bosses in games... I prefer to have some really huge, powerful enemy to beat, (Doom2, Serious Sam, Half-Life, Unreal) rather than some sort of puzzle, or a huge crowd of smaller enemies, or something. (I guess Doom2 kinda fits in there... but Bah) I think there have been some good games ruined by bad climaxes, like Quake for instance. I'm hoping that id make a really huge monster for the climax... something new, not a remake of an old Doom monster.

Personally, being a fan of all id games, I thought the idea of telefragging the boss in quake. It was more amusing than serious though. However, I think the first part to beating a boss should be a puzzle (something you have to do to put him in a weakened state.) and then you should have to blow his ass up. Or you should have the option of either a puzzle to kill him or expending lots of ammunition (maybe you'd have to hit him with 50 rockets and ten BFG type shots) like the alligator in RE2 (though the puzzle shouldn't be that easy).

JavaGuy said:

Personally, being a fan of all id games, I thought the idea of telefragging the boss in quake. It was more amusing than serious though. However, I think the first part to beating a boss should be a puzzle (something you have to do to put him in a weakened state.) and then you should have to blow his ass up. Or you should have the option of either a puzzle to kill him or expending lots of ammunition (maybe you'd have to hit him with 50 rockets and ten BFG type shots) like the alligator in RE2 (though the puzzle shouldn't be that easy).

That's pretty much what I hope too - I'm oldfashioned and prefer a boss that you can kill by shooting him a lot, but I'd like that the player is forced to solve some sort of puzzle in order to make him vulnurable to your attacks first - as long as the puzzle ain't fucking difficult to figure out, but rather difficult to carry out.

As for the boss creature itself, I'd prefer a huge, bigass demon with horns and spikes, a misshapen, but muscular body and all that crap which goes with the typical Christian view of a demon, but it should look really terrifying.
And let's see a black demon for a change :-)

AirRaid said:

I'm hoping that id make a really huge monster for the climax... something new, not a remake of an old Doom monster.

So am I - I'm hoping for a big balrog as the final boss, which required you to do some thinking to find a weakness.

GS-1719 said:

So am I - I'm hoping for a big balrog as the final boss, which required you to do some thinking to find a weakness.

Yeah. Nice idea. The Balrog in LOTR was very impressive. I'd like to see something like that..
It would be really cool if it were able to smash through walls and doors chasing you and scaring you to death.

dsm said:
And let's see a black demon for a change :-)

I'd like that too! Every single detail on the monster/boss could be black, it would look pretty freaky. I'm used with the Cyberdemon's advanced weapons, so the monster/boss should be enormous and have a pair of sharped claws (to much Quake?). What a good resemblance to a human being lol.

Hicks said:

the Cyberdemon is gettin old...... i want a a new boss!!

I'd like to see a big balrog rip apart and eat a Cyberdemon - that would really set the mood.

What about a huge monster, which u cant kill, u just have to run and hide, and wait for a space ship to pick u up. Imagine u being in some dark room, and u are watching your watch.... 3 min left till the ship arrives, 2 min.... ( still sitting in the dark room ). 10 sec left... it arrived. Now RUN LIKE A MADMAN to the gate which leads to the ship. And afcourse, there are pipes on the ground. U fall because of the physics engine, and u didnt know that cause its the first time you came that far. U stand up again, and just a sec before he gets you, the doors closes behind u. Then suddenly its arms are pulling the doors open again , and you run to the spaceship. U jump in, and while your m8 flies away, you see the huge demon coming out of the base, and watching you with its big eyes. The demon looks so small from a great distance... Then suddenly the space ships is losing height... oops you're gonna meet him again:p

AIRmichael said:

What about a huge monster, which u cant kill, u just have to run and hide, and wait for a space ship to pick u up. Imagine u being in some dark room, and u are watching your watch.... 3 min left till the ship arrives, 2 min.... ( still sitting in the dark room ). 10 sec left... it arrived. Now RUN LIKE A MADMAN to the gate which leads to the ship. And afcourse, there are pipes on the ground. U fall because of the physics engine, and u didnt know that cause its the first time you came that far. U stand up again, and just a sec before he gets you, the doors closes behind u. Then suddenly its arms are pulling the doors open again , and you run to the spaceship. U jump in, and while your m8 flies away, you see the huge demon coming out of the base, and watching you with its big eyes. The demon looks so small from a great distance... Then suddenly the space ships is losing height... oops you're gonna meet him again:p

Get rid of those goddamn 'U's - they're annoying as fuck.

the Cyberdemon is gettin old...... i want a a new boss!!

Why do people always assume that the Doom 3 cyberdemon will be like the old one? Come the fuck on, judging by the other rehashed creatures so far, it'll most likely end up looking way cooler and it'll probably be difficult enough too.

Of course there should be at least one new boss, but the cybie should stay in the game - it won't get old if it is upgraded satisfactorily. It could serve as a boss you meet sometime late in the game (but still quite far from the ending).

The Cybie should be there, period.

dsm said:

Of course there should be at least one new boss, but the cybie should stay in the game - it won't get old if it is upgraded satisfactorily. It could serve as a boss you meet sometime late in the game (but still quite far from the ending).

The Cybie should be there, period.

Yeah, that's what I was saying... I do think the cybie should be there.. but not as the final boss.

AirRaid said:

Yeah, that's what I was saying... I do think the cybie should be there.. but not as the final boss.

Agreed. Like I said, I want a totally new final boss - the new cyberdemon should be like "WHOA!" scary....and then the final boss should make the Cyberdemon seem like the original Barons of Hell compared to the original cyberdemon.
(of course the new BoH's should be scary too and be equally "dwarfed" in scaryness when you see the new cyber)
:-)

AIRmichael said:

A very very very ugly girl from my old school would be a cool endboss as well:p

I want to be frigthened, not frightened to death! :)

Shaviro said:

I want to be frigthened, not frightened to death! :)

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

Jesus Christ should be the end boss.................................

There you go..

That makes about as much sense as having a giant block of cheese as a final boss.
But I must admit, it sounds intriguing...

I wouldn't mind a demon that changes as you fight it, or more accurately changes in shape to adapt to your tactics.

For example, you keep hitting the boss in one spot, it grows a armour plate or some kind of demonic power to protect that zone. Run away and close a door so that it can't get it, in changes form and squeezes in through a airvent.

The "body-shifting" sounds pretty hard to pull off, but apparently Call of Cthulu (however you spell the bloody thing) has this effect with monsters that can squeeze in through doorframes thanks to the physics system.

Either that or the fan picture sent in of what was behind the Icon of Sin...provided that iD provides a supercomputer to render that boss properly :p

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

The-widow-maker should be the end boss - the only way to kill him is to acquire some of MaCvILeWhOrE's famous newbie-killing cofee and throw that at him :-P

As long as the final boss looks unbelievably scary, I'm a happy man.
I'd like to see something as the Balrog from Lord of the Rings, but without that stupid whip. I just want him to lash out at you. Or maybe even breathe fire, if done nicely..

I want a really huge and scary cyberdemon boss which can fire very fast homing rockets which blow the shit out of anything it hits and has a huge blast radius. The area you fight him in should also be scripted to that he can destroy stuff by bashing into it or firing at it, so that no cover is safe for long. It's important that he is extremely scary and threatening so you dash for cover out of fear of him.

You know, if I were id I wouldn't have the new cyberdemon shoot rockets, that part always bothered me.
I always thought it would be cooler if the thing attached to it's arm would instead accelerate and juice up the projectile that the BoH shoots.
So instead of shootimg slow moving fireballs it would be this big blast with a large splah radius. Rockets seem to human.

DaJuice said:

You know, if I were id I wouldn't have the new cyberdemon shoot rockets, that part always bothered me.
I always thought it would be cooler if the thing attached to it's arm would instead accelerate and juice up the projectile that the BoH shoots.
So instead of shootimg slow moving fireballs it would be this big blast with a large splah radius. Rockets seem to human.

Well, I always interpreted it so that the demons plundered human technology and with the help of possessed humans enhanced some of their demons with human technology - that includes the cybie.

Yeah, I know, I just thought it would be cooler if it was a particle accelerator or plasma weapon or someshit.

you know what would be a cool boss??.. a boss that has a glow that sucks in all the licht.. so you only see a silluette.. and maby other stuff.. but yeh..
and the level the boss is in, reacts against the player because off all the evilness (negative energy).. so you will be attacked by pipes etc.. and fire-exstinguishers

HAMMER-STROKE said:

you know what would be a cool boss??.. a boss that has a glow that sucks in all the licht.. so you only see a silluette.. and maby other stuff.. but yeh..
and the level the boss is in, reacts against the player because off all the evilness (negative energy).. so you will be attacked by pipes etc.. and fire-exstinguishers

Fire extinguishers in Hell?
O_o

who said the boss will be in hell..

you go for a side trip to hell.. so a couple of levels in hell and then back out off the gate and back on the uac mars base

HAMMER-STROKE said:

who said the boss will be in hell..

you go for a side trip to hell.. so a couple of levels in hell and then back out off the gate and back on the uac mars base

Yeah. I think that is how it's going to be.