Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChrisVR

PNG transparency

Question

This is g to ask, as we are speaking of basic transparency, but after spending last 2 hours trying to get it to work I give up.

My texture does not show as transparent neither in GZDoom Builder, neither in-game. I have tried adding alpha channel, changing pallete, optimizing, fiddling with SLADE but it never worked.. What the .. ?

SLADDER3.png.a5e4f13cd1c461389d63c3acde4d2111.png

I have read somewhere that it has to do something with sector heights... I can't seem to fix it and yet having it work kinda like ladder attached to the wall. :(

Edited by ChrisVR

9 answers to this question

Are you putting the texture on the wall itself? Transparency only works on 2-sided lines. Make a line 1 unit from the wall with your ladder texture, and it should appear with the wall showing between the rungs.

I'm a noob in mapping so I'm not entirely sure what am I doing lol.

I can put a line 1 unit away from the wall, but how do I select it and raise then?

I also tried making ladder side handles, and then putting my texture in between them but it did not work as well.

I even tried 3D Floors and the texture works, but when I lower it to the level I want, it's not transparent anymore..

It is not clear what you are trying to do. You want a ladder that moves? Do you want to be able to climb the ladder? Please describe exactly what you want to do, and then I can probably help you, and if I can't, somebody else here can.

It sounds like you're trying to raise a middle texture ladder (1 linedef), If that's the case just select your texture in 3D view and drag it up, either using the up arrow key or using your mouse.

If you post your test wad, one of us can take a look and fix it pretty quick for you. Then you'll see what needed to be done.

I have attached my 'pure' version in the attachement below.

And below my 'visuatlization' of what I want to do in this sample place.

sin.zip

ladd.jpg

So, when you talk about moving the ladder, you mean in the editor? Try Lower Unpegged so the texture is drawn up from the ground rather than down from the ceiling. If you want the ladder to move up from the ground in the game, that can be done. If you want to be able to climb the ladder, that can be done, too.

Hi,

Not sure if the PNG transparency question ever got solved, aside from creating a 3dfloor ladder which in my opinion is a better idea than just a transparent solid texture.

NVL, I took a look at the map and well there seemed to be no problem applying the ladder texture. From what I could tell is that the texture after being applied to middle, just needed to be offset so it would sit on the ground and not the sky, heh.

So as Empyer suggested, either check "lower unpegged", otherwise offset is around about -1558.

Oh and btw, this doesn't have anything to do with the format the image is in, it just has to do with the offsets of a middle texture. ~ nothing to do with PNG or its alpha channel.. I suppose it did have to do with transparency though, as it just wasn't seen. :)

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket