• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cassandra

Doom PC vs Doom PSX

Doom PC winner ! ! !

To my mind, that’s what I say.

The PSX version is quite beautifull with great sounds, musics and light effects BUT…
Why the hell is it amputated like that ? ? ?

Many levels are missing, and some great ones !
(33/36 levels for Ultimate Doom and 26/32 levels for Doom 2)
Some map parts are totally erased
(examples : Central Processing, Spawning Vats, Halls of the damned…etc etc…)

No Spiderdemons (except Redemption Denied) and Arch-Vile Monsters…
Only 3 Cyberdemons on 59 levels…

I know there are 7 new Levels on PSX…
(HELL GATE, TWILIGHT DESCENDS, THE MARSHES, THRESHOLD OF PAIN, THE MANSION, CLUB DOOM, REDEMPTION DENIED)
But that’s not a reason to amputate the original like that.

Same things for FINAL DOOM…(worst things maybe…)

The PSX boxe says «Two new 32-level stories »
and finally there are only 30 poor levels…
BODYCOUNT : 30/64 levels in fact ! ! !
SCAN-DA-LOUS ! ! !

13/21 Levels for THE MASTER LEVELS
11/32 Levels for TNT
6/32 Levels for PLUTONIA

No secret exits so no secret levels…

Just ONE Cyberdemon and No Spiderdemon and Arch-vile…
(it’s quite boring to fight only Revenants and Mancubus…)

Why did they make those LAZY conversions ? ? ?
It takes so much place on the disk ? I don’t believe that.
Like AC/DC says… MONEYTALKS.

The PSX version was not all bad (it kicked the saturns versions ass!) and for what i can remember you coulden't look up or down anyway as for the levels i liked the psx ending a little bit more. And i love club doom level it was
sweet!

But then i thought fuck this and went out and sold my PSX doom and perchased Doom trilogy for the PC, LOL!

Come on! PSX Doom is my favorite Doom! Here's the deal:

The "amputated levels" from Doom 1 aren't from the PC version. They're the versions from the Jaguar, 3D0, and 32x versions. Guess it's easier to convert the code than the PC version.

Sure there are some levels missing, but as you put it, there's new levels in there. And you have to admit, almost 60 levels in one game is cool.

And about PSX Final Doom, I have to admit, it's pitiful. Besides the new music (which is on my ftp), it has no redeeming quality. Much like the manuals for all of the Doom games (the exact same, trust me), they probably just copied the box from the pc version, which is 2 new 32 level episodes.

the only thing i dont like about the psx version is the music...or lack there of...people think shrieks and these other noises for music is scary...i think it is irritating...the doom music from pc mixes good with the level your playing take E3M7 Limbo for example that music can get you jumpy when there is a cacodemon around the next corner...this also a reason i dont like doom 64 as much as some people do

A lot of stuff is missing or changed on the PSX version due to framerate and memory problems. Some of the architecture in the PC levels is simply too much for the PSX to handle without tremendous slowdown. There is no Archvile enemy simply because the PSX has insufficient memory to juggle all the animation frames of that particular beastie, let alone the respawing/ressurection stuff. You have to remember Doom was optimized to run on x86 architecture with at least 4 MB of ram.

not true. they just didn't know how to do it in the first game. compare psx final doom to psx doom. final doom runs at a better framerate, and has higher degrees of height. just look at quake 2 on the psx, almost the same levels as the pc version with major height difference. the problem with the first doom on the psx is that it came out when the psx was still new, and the progammers never knew how to unlock the power of the psx, so to speak.

PSX does better with true 3d architecture and models than with 2.5d engines and sprites. That's why they were able to be more accurate with the Quake2 port. The fact of the matter is, the original Doom engine has a lot of 16 bit and 8 bit code in it. The psx architectue runs this code much slower than 32 bit code. It's my guess they didn't want to take a year and a half to rebuild the engine totally from scratch using only 32 bit code.

As I notice from PSX Final Doom, there are only 3 Mancubus' and 3 Barons of Hell within the entire game. The Mancubus' are found in Nessus and the Barons are found in Human Barbeque/Barbecue. I don't know if that had to do with frame rate or memory problems or what. They had both in PSX Doom but when PSX Final Doom came along, the Mancubus and the Baron of Hell suddenly became rare.

You have to remember Doom was optimized to run on x86 architecture with at least 4 MB of ram.

Haha, are you saying that a 486 with 4MB of RAM is more powerful than a PSX? ROOFLE.

I liked the DOOM for the nintendo 64.It wasnt a conversion it was totaly fresh w/ mad ass cool looking graphics (I wish someone had made a DOOM 64 monsters and weapons conversion...maybe after Decay of Life since I can rip things from ROMS and I have the ROM anyway so why the hell not) back to the PSX doom me and my cousin had a link cable and we loved DMing eachother FUCK SINGLE PLAYER!

Hmmm... PC version is much better. And the N64 version, is that even Doom? Or just Perfect Dark with Doom weapons?

The console ports have all been pretty crap, I sometimes play the PSX one though, thats OK.

I remember Twilight Descends, The Mansion, Club Doom, and all that. I didn't know that they were PS-X specific levels.
I always did wonder why Archie wasn't around in PS-X Doom.
Live and learn.

i will take PC doom flavor anyday. hell i own doom on the 32x and it is terrible. I bet the GBA version will suck ass the things seems to only get bearly good svga graphics. I know it is 32bits but i think it could have been alot better, but it could be worse. Hell even though it is not the greatest i am still gonna get one and doom too when it comes out

I like the sounds from PSX Doom better IMO. Doom 64 uses the same sounds from the PSX version, but they sound a bit more enhanced. I mean let's say if the PSX sounds had a frequency of 11025 Hz, the Doom 64 sounds would have a frequency of 22050 Hz or more. You'll never know if you like Doom 64 or not until you actually try it.

About playing PSX Doom with a link cable, yeah I'd say it would be fun, but I never tried it. To get it to work you'd need another TV nearby, another Playstation console, and another copy of the game, and I think it needs to be the same version. (There's a v1 and a v1.1 out there.) Still, I wouldn't mind getting another PSX and 2 more copies of the game if I ever get the chance to.

it's perfect for link cable at my house. link one psx to thru my tv card & play on the monitor, other psx on my tv. i've only played doom & duke with the link cable, both awesome. haven't played descent link cable yet. even though i like them better than the pc versions, no one else seems to share my enthusiasm.