Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marlamir

Is fully workable ladder possible in zdoom or not?

I'm trying to figured out how to make proper ladder in zdoom. I tried "ThingTrustZ" action but since the area where the is the ladder is quite small player have no chance to walk down becasuse is pushing him up.  Make the sector swimmable was another idea i got but player can drown himself here so not solution too. Is possible to make fully workable ladder in (g)zdoom or not?

Have you looked at how they were implemented in Adventures of Square or Golden Souls 2? I thought they worked pretty well in these two mods.

script 1 (void)
{
 SetPlayerProperty (0, 1, PROP_FLY);
}

script 2 (void)
{
 SetPlayerProperty (0, 0, PROP_FLY);
}

Attach script 1 to an "Actor Enters Sector" thing and script 2 to an "Actor Leaves Sector" thing, draw a small sector in front of the ladder, and make the lines block monster lines.

Basically a "swimmable" ladder without the drowning or the sinking.

Thank you guys for your answers. I'l check them all and see what going to work best form me.

I tried your tutorial but as i said in man post: 

I tried "ThingTrustZ" action but since the area where the is the ladder is quite small player have no chance to walk down becasuse is pushing him up

So i trying to find another way how to do it.

7 hours ago, Marlamir said:

I tried your tutorial but as i said in man post: 

So i trying to find another way how to do it.

The ladder doesn't make you ascend unless you walk into it... can you show a screenshot of the ladder in game? :)

Sometimes im just way too silly so i decide to f*ck my thinking and i rework the area around ladder so i can use thingtrustz without problems. Srry guys that i annoy you with this im just way to complicated sometimes :). Here is how its look:

Screenshot_Doom_20180724_174156.png.f66f1315bf3c44edd12fa9175576838d.png

Thank you guys for your very much for your help

Nice looking ladder.

Since you opted to be flung up into the air and hopefully land on the upper floor instead of a controlled climb, I have one suggestion to make. A linedef does not care from which side you cross said linedef to execute the script . The player experiences the Thrust from either side, going up and again when going down. The solution is to specify in the script from which side of the linedef you are thrust up. 

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
if (LineSide() == LINE_FRONT)    // select the sidedef
	{
//  128:ThrustThingZ (tid, force, up=0/down=1, set/add)
	ThrustThingZ ( 0, 64, 0, 0); // tweak the force to suit
	}
}

13 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Since you opted to be flung up into the air and hopefully land on the upper floor instead of a controlled climb

You can use ThrustThingZ in a way that doesn't act this way. Check Joy Of Mapping 5's hub map's ladders for a working example, though the above-linked tutorial of mine covers the creation of this - it uses the 'When Player Bumps' activation method.

ed720d450179323c66e966673562324c.png

Ah, indeed, that works.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

You can use ThrustThingZ in a way that doesn't act this way. Check Joy Of Mapping 5's hub map's ladders for a working example, though the above-linked tutorial of mine covers the creation of this - it uses the 'When Player Bumps' activation method.

Ah, indeed, that works.

But, it still only flings the player into the air without control, especially when the player has no forward momentum.

If the player has no forward momentum it wont elevate them, and with a very low value given to the ThrustThingZ function, there's no "flinging". :)

Click the GIF below for a higher framerate MP4.

df8b1e395bd7468ab71918d23df3ccfc.gif

The player can still move on the ladder with the default settings. How much a player moves when "thrusted" but ThrustThingZ is determined by the air-control CVAR, which is, by default, set at near absolute zero. This is why the player is thrusted "without control."

If the player bumps into the line, then stops, it won't function, because they have to move into the line with some velocity to trigger a "Player bumps" line function.

With the default air control you still have full control of if you ascent the ladder or not. Here in this GIF / MP4 I tap forwards a few times to show that when I release, I drop down as expected, but when I hold forwards (with zero run-up) I can ascend a tall ladder. Again, click the GIF for an MP4.

ead3deecfa5bcaa315de901e2653a0d9.gif

There's something odd going with the skybox there, a dark square appears when you reach the ceiling.

24 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

they have to move into the line with some velocity to trigger a "Player bumps" line function.

Air control has little to no bearing on this. While "ascending" the ladder, the player is in the air and so has little to no control.

I said "move on" the ladder, not "climb," meaning whilst ascending the ladder, the player is thrusted without control.

And I think that's probably stacked sectors causing that, Gez, I seem to remember having such things happen with the sky in outdoor areas with stack sectors.

Yeah, that's GZDoom's stacked sector portals doing it's thing, whatever that is. I don't want to derail the thread really, but since the issue is solved I guess it's not as severe to do so?

This graphical oddity happens in a few maps, it seems:

3408558c5795bf580d526af22b5e28f6.gif

Probably worth a report with a test map on the appropriate forum, then.

And i have no idea what I'm looking at in that GIF. Is that your odonata map? When does it see release?

10 hours ago, Gez said:

Probably worth a report with a test map on the appropriate forum, then.

And i have no idea what I'm looking at in that GIF. Is that your odonata map? When does it see release?

I agree, worth a report indeed! I'll get around to that in the near future, as I know it's an effect that's in a couple of my maps.

I'm not sure how to describe what it is, but it seems to be a 'void effect' based on the geometry of the map. Coming to think of it, not sure why I didn't report this sooner.

You can see a 'live example' by looking up in the Joy of Mapping 5's hub map when in the upper portal. The map shown in this gif is indeed Order of the Odonata, which I will release as soon as it's been shown on Joel's Vinesauce streams; so when that happens is anyone's guess at this point in time. Hopefully soon! If it would assist in getting this bug fixed, I'm happy to share this map privately to anyone who is able to investigate for a solution. :)

31 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

If it would assist in getting this bug fixed, I'm happy to share this map privately to anyone who is able to investigate for a solution. :)

A PM to the "Developers" group should do it, then. Though if you can replicate it in an as-simple-as-possible test map, it'll be even better.

21 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Yeah, that's GZDoom's stacked sector portals doing it's thing, whatever that is. 

Yep, I've seen it a few times.   I've seen it occur with a SkyViewPoint thing as well as with portals (which I guess means they use the same code as portals?)

Weirdly it fixed itself in the SkyViewPoint map when I placed a sector portal underneath the main part of the map.  But it's highly inconsistent from map to map.  I've been meaning to create a test map for the devs for a while but.... eh, effort.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:16 PM, Dragonfly said:

Thats what i use too and i got idea how to make it feel more like ladder. In hexen format is possible to give two action for one line? One will be "thingtrustz" and second ladder climbing sfx.

Instead of using ThrustThingZ use line action 80:ACS_Execute. Then have a simple script calling both ThrustThingZ() and PlaySound(). :)