Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FelixTheWolf

Which Doom monster do you dread the most?

For me, it would be the Cyberdemon. They are very overpowered and can kill you in a couple hits, while you are trying to destroy them, they make the BFG look weak.

The Arch-vile of course. He's just the worst. I understand that I evade his attacks by getting out of his line of sight, is that right? It seems to not always work for me and more often than not that sucker burns me to a crisp.

Other than that I got accustomed to quite all the monsters. In tight spaces the Revenants are a problem for me as well as the Chaingunners from time to time.

Without a doubt the Lost Souls.  There's absolutely nothing appealing about them and they are the most obnoxious enemies in the game.  I'd take a room full of hitscanners over a single Lost Soul. 

57 minutes ago, FelixTheWolf said:

For me, it would be the Cyberdemon. They are very overpowered and can kill you in a couple hits, while you are trying to destroy them, they make the BFG look weak.

You sure it isn't the opposite?

Mine is, or was, the archvile, in specific occasions involving more than one in mixed tropes I used to become dumber and try to hide instead of confronting the situation. I think I beat that and the fear became adrenaline. If not then spectres in darkness, it's more of the fear to be cornered and bitten rather than their blurry appearance. In the past, like way back in 2010 or so and 2016 too, it was sure the "boss" types, because of the loud sound of rockets hitting doomguy's face that always made me jump, and the spiderdemon's appearance was a monstrosity (a cute monstrosity, I'd say nowadays). Also pain elementals and mancubi freaked me out the first time I saw them.

1 hour ago, FelixTheWolf said:

Cybers are easy with a BFG and 80 cells.

As for my monsters: hitscanners. All types. RNG hates me, so I always take massive damage from them.

Honestly for me it's the shotgunners,especially right when you spawn into a level. if you're in an open space with no corners to duck behind it can be super difficult to dodge them

It's a tie between Revenant's and Archviles. Revenants I'm shit at dodging their homing rockets, Archviles becuase they're just really fucking annoying to deal with, between their fire attack and resurrecting enemies.

I mean, god help you if one shows up in a room of dead chaingunners.

When I was younger I used to be scared of the Bull Demons or Pinkies. I remember the first maze they first appear in...

but now they are easy to kill and common.

I hate the nightmare imps in Brutal Doom 64.. not because they are scary.

But because they are so fast they are in invisible when they move..

and they can kill you so fast.. who ever programmed Brutal Doom 64 was evil

for doing that

chaingunners because nothing is fair about these pieces of shit. Archviles have counter play most of the time and revenant are too fair compared to the other 2. Honorable mention to some irritatingly used lost souls and pain elementals in huge swarms. 

The Lost Soul itself. Sure, PEs spawn them, but PEs don't attack you directly, whereas Lost Souls do. I hate them for that.

I don't like Revs. I'm just no good at dodging their homing missiles.  I think I've evaded one, and then splat, it hits me in the back.  And who doesn't love finishing a fight and realizing there's a giant homing ball of death of 200 Rev missiles following you about?

Pain Elementals are a synch in comparison. I am surprised by the number of times I see people back away from them instead of rushing in to stop the LSs spawning (at least the three that spawn upon death).

Revs, most definitely. Even though they technically only spawn homing missiles 50% of the time, it FEELS like every damn rocket they shoot comes back around and sauces my sorry ass.Bonus points for when you don't have much armor and lose 80 HP from one rocket. Yeah, they can suck it.

Honorable mention to Pain Elementals, especially in open areas. Although if you have plenty of cells, it's amusing and effective to BFG-spam a hoard of them. 

1 minute ago, Odal said:

Even though they technically only spawn homing missiles 50% of the time, it FEELS like every damn rocket they shoot comes back around and sauces my sorry ass

^^^^ This

Pain Elementals, they spawn fast Lost Souls that charge at you and block you, even after killing them they usually leave 3 or 4 lost souls behind.

On the subject of the Revenants, do different ports yield different percentages of homing attacks?  The port I play is the Doom Classic Complete for the PS3 and I swear the percentage of homing attacks is ridiculously high.  I'd say 80-90%  In fact one of the last playthroughs I did of Doom 2, I never once seen them do a normal attack.  All homing attacks!  But when I played the PC version, they hardly ever did homing attacks. 

A Mega Sphere and a bunch of ammo and weapons in a large empty room.

Pain elementals. -_- Not so much because I think they're going to end my existence, but because I dread all the cleanup that I will probably have to do. Lost souls would be SO MUCH more tolerable if they didn't have so many blasted hit points.

Second would be chaingunners, I guess. If there's only one or two, and they're not hard to reach or anything, then it's not so bad. But in large numbers, or perched on far-away ledges, it kinda feels like the mapper is saying "lets roll this die to see how much health you lose this run."