Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wakemare

Why no Death Sound?

Hey guys, huge Doom fan, though i am not a WAD player or anything, i just grew up on Doom 1 and 2. Massive Doom 2016 fan, it really is an epic and insanely detailed game and im looking forward to seeing where a Doom movie will go and looking forward to Doom Eternal.

One question that has bothered me about Doom 2016.... why the fuck did they not include a Doomslayer death sound, he remains totally silent. Part of the fear factor in the original games was Doomguys deathscream.... like, it was pretty disturbing for my 11 year old brain.

I hope Doom Eternal changes that and he does have a death sound....

Thoughts?

Doomslayer is completely mute too, no grunts, pain or death sounds, I guess they couldn't find one suitable for the job so they decided to make him mute.

I get that i suppose. I feel like thats all cool and everything but i guess if Doomslayer was a guy in tge other iterations surely t means hes a guy in this one too? 

Whatever the case, and its cool either way, there should have been a decision. I hope in Eternal that they do bring something like that back... it alwats connected me more with whats going on onscreen....

20 hours ago, Memfis said:

They wanted to conceal the gender.

They sure did a wonderful job at it at the beginning of the game where you could tell the protagaonist is male. Ontop of that, the face looks male, too.

... theres also the part where Hayden tells VEGA '... give him what he wants' in relation to the first time Doomslayer takes in an Argent Energy sphere...

Also lets just take a moment to just love this fucking game.

There originally were death sounds but they were removed in the final version of the game, afaik they're still present in the game files even if they're unused.

Reason was probably to keep the Doom Marine "badass" even during death animations.

i guess haha, but the death sounds made the experience heaps visceral... would be good to bring them back

On 7/29/2018 at 12:13 AM, MrSkeltal said:

There originally were death sounds but they were removed in the final version of the game, afaik they're still present in the game files even if they're unused.

Reason was probably to keep the Doom Marine "badass" even during death animations.

And where can one be able to seek out these death sounds?

Something interesting to note:

Wolf TNO didn’t have death sounds, yet TNC has proper pain and death sounds. Perhaps we might get something in Doom Eternal?

On 7/20/2018 at 9:59 PM, Duke of Pathoris said:

He is just way too tough to feel enough pain to cry out, even when being burned alive.

He even does the 'terminator thumbs up' when sinking into lava.

Feedback is extremely important in a game, which is why, for instance, the sound of Sonic losing his rings is so utterly iconic. It's not just visually or aurally important, it instills urgency within the player to be more vigilant. I personally don't like how silent the Doom '16 player is, and especially upon death, something feels a bit empty and unsatisfying about the game just stopping. Maybe id thought the sounds were corny.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:00 PM, Memfis said:

They wanted to conceal the gender.

Well it's kinda obvious that the Doomslayer is a Man. If you take off the helmet using a model viewer you get this.

Doomcompdoomguysactualfuckingface_03094f_6203247.png

On 8/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, MrD!zone said:

Well it's kinda obvious that the Doomslayer is a Man. If you take off the helmet using a model viewer you get this.

now i know why doom 2016 needs 55 gb of hdd space, it's because of this high-quality face model with 30 quadrillion polygons that you probably never see in the game

Obviously they've removed the back of the head, and the details aren't necessarily polygons, I also notice it's very similar to BJ's head from Wolfenstein the New Order so the head was most likely just a placeholder not meant to be fully seen, they probably added it to make the head partially visible through the visor in the Upgrades Menu and give the illusion that there is someone behind the helmet.

2 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

now i know why doom 2016 needs 55 gb of hdd space, it's because of this high-quality face model with 30 quadrillion polygons that you probably never see in the game

You're joking, right? It's hard to tell these days as some people actually believe this.

Just now, Edward850 said:

You're joking, right? It's hard to tell these days as some people actually believe this.

i am joking.

According to John Romero, the Doomguy is supposed to be YOU. You don't hear yourself in the game. You just Go like," NOOOOOO!" before banging your head against the difficulty selection screen.

*you died*

On 7/21/2018 at 7:33 AM, BLλZING_DUST said:

They sure did a wonderful job at it at the beginning of the game where you could tell the protagaonist is male. Ontop of that, the face looks male, too.

He could just be a really ugly woman.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:24 PM, MrD!zone said:

Hot.

They had to cut corners somewhere I guess. Albeit, current Doom exists in kind of a meta universe where its more aware of itself and not as much about self-insertion. 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:24 PM, Teivman said:

Quake Champions has this face. And to his predator face he is just gray hair.

Doom-guy.jpg