Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Times where you've had to suck up your pride and use god mode?

I'm sure we've all had those moments. Those times where, no matter how many attempts, there was that one part where you simply couldn't beat it. You would die over and over, and you realize that it's not worth the frustration and you simply want to get past it already to see the rest. That's why god mode is there for us.

What moments have you had where you simply had no hair left to pull, so you said "Fuck it" and opened that console?

None, so far I haven't run into any impossible fights or any that would be excruciatingly difficult that it's just not worth to waste my patience and destroy my neural connections.

Using cheats is not in my blood, I'd rather can the whole thing than cheat 90% of the time.

Nope. The only cheating am willing to do is wiking the way for a shitty map where I've been lost for hours or things like Gaiden missions in fire emblem where you lose a lot of the game if you don't do stupid shit in some maps and the game almost never conveys it. console commands are only for testing in my case. 

No, I will only use God-mode for testing purposes. Now, have I encountered fights so difficult that I quick-save every minute or so? Absolutely. Kind of a bad habit of mine. Some will argue that that's still cheating, and I'd be inclined to agree... however, there's still skill involved more so than going full invincible decimation mode on some demon ass. 

Yeah, anytime I think I *might* be getting ready to be frustrated. I have no problem admitting that I'll cheat through any game experience that stops being fun - after all, I'm playing to have fun. But, it's usually NOCLIP, IDKFA, or switch to single-player Coop mode :)

I think the only time I ever used that cheat was to see how long it took to kill a Cyberdemon with the chainsaw. 

The only time I've ever used God mode while playing through a WAD was Map32 of Speed of Doom (the second time I played that goddamn map). Since then, I've beaten it legit with, like three mid-map saves.

Seriously though, fuck that map.

Actually I use those codes quite a lot because I need to learn the details of a certain map or something. Sometimes, I need some info before playing, so I'll browse through the WAD with IDDQD.

I use god mod when I test a map of mine and, sometimes, I used in casual gameplay

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Actually I use those codes quite a lot because I need to learn the details of a certain map or something. Sometimes, I need some info before playing, so I'll browse through the WAD with IDDQD.

You need info *before* playing? I'm sure that would ruin the experience for me. I want the map to be presented as the mapper envisioned it, and I do try to win without any cheats. But, if after a bunch of unsuccessful tries, I use cheats to avoid frustration. But, cheating *before* any real attempts? I don't get it.

I never do actually.If I die 1 too many times I just spam the resurrect commands :D

in chillax , i try the fight, but its a moment it become insane, and i use god mode

If I get stuck on a WAD and get to the point where I feel nothing but frustration, I usually just stop playing it altogether. There's no guarantee that the map isn't going to pull off another situation like that again, so I'm better off just playing something that's actually fun for me.

8 hours ago, kb1 said:

You need info *before* playing? I'm sure that would ruin the experience for me. I want the map to be presented as the mapper envisioned it, and I do try to win without any cheats. But, if after a bunch of unsuccessful tries, I use cheats to avoid frustration. But, cheating *before* any real attempts? I don't get it.

Don't really need to get my way to do things because sometimes I don't even know how I do things.

I realized I meant to say cheats like IDCLEV, not really IDDQD only. I just want to know something like how many monsters on Map29. Sometimes, a popular WAD is out there but I don't have time to play. I may use IDDQD to just run around some maps for 1 minutes to look around. Basically that's it, or it's a good way to me to rank WADs just by my feeling and sort out which one to play first. If you think this means I give up before trying, this is not the case.

12 hours ago, Poncho said:

The only time I've ever used God mode while playing through a WAD was Map32 of Speed of Doom (the second time I played that goddamn map). Since then, I've beaten it legit with, like three mid-map saves.

Seriously though, fuck that map.

oh that map D:

Hmm... I can't really remember the last time I used IDDQD. I do use it on occasion to test a map I'm building, or to route a map I'm trying to max. If I had to take a guess, the last time I actually used godmode to beat a fight was in Resurgence, probably map 25 or 27 or thereabouts. Even then, I immediately went back and beat the fight "legitimately", 'cuz all I really needed was to know where some cover was, where all the monsters were, etc.

9 hours ago, KVELLER said:

There's no guarantee that the map isn't going to pull off another situation like that again, so I'm better off just playing something that's actually fun for me.

About that, too bad that when I start something I intend on finishing it, no matter the difficulty. I could save myself lots of pain, but that's how I work :( .

Spoiler

Never seen something more infuriatingly confusing than SF3's MAP29. I'm not touching that map ever again in my life, I'm done wasting my time and patience on that piece of crap for good. Shame, it was otherwise great, but the navigation totally kills it.

18 hours ago, Poncho said:

This. The start is almost ridiculous, and the way to grab the invul took me no less than 20 tries until the viles/HKs decided to behave as appropiate. Lol. 

The only times I turn god mode on, nowadays, are when certain goals are out of my reach because of the map's ideals of "consistency" and if figuring it out has been obnoxious as nothing else in the world. Most recent example is a Slaughterfest 2011 map, the one inspired by Hunted but with the quintuple viles and weapons in hidden closets, except in this case I skipped the map instead of trying again without iddqd. Not even the demos on the internet showed me how to do things consistently. In TEETH.wad there was a lift to take and hitscanners/revs could already hit me from out my FOV, so, iddqd that and the rest because that map was already irritating. Other examples were some specific IoS gimmicks based on the original setup but more intricate and annoying, to me, like Point Dreadful or D2TWID. For the ones in Plutonia 2 and Whitemare I idclipped to the romero heads because none of my rockets were hitting shit. I also did "iddqd sessions" for Newgothic 2, and I'm glad I stopped there, that was not my way to play Doom. 

There are honestly more times where I would suck up my pride and use noclip instead. because some geezer thinks pixel-perfect platforming is fun.

8 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

There are honestly more times where I would suck up my pride and use noclip instead. because some geezer thinks pixel-perfect platforming is fun.

If there ever is a chance you get to play something I made: Just don't. It spares me your whiny complaints, and it's going to save you some time as well.

I honestly haven't used God mode just to get through a map in awhile. That doesn't mean I've become a pro at super difficult maps, I think I've just learned to save at the right times, and if things get too frustrating, take a break.

Mostly I use God mode (or more often, Buddha) to test custom enemies and their attacks.

If you do want a story of frustration, look no further than BTSX 2's secret map, I believe named "Fireking Says No Cheating!" I remember simply giving up on that map after tons of failure. I could probably revisit it today and get through just fine, with some failures of course.

When I'm playtesting my levels (especially my particularly devilish secret levels and anywhere with a Cyberdemon) I'll normally use godmode, IDFA, or both. Simply makes the playtest quicker. No monsters isn't always an option as sometimes triggers are set to monster deaths.

I use god mode if I feel the level designer cheated me with some bullshit. Like creating some bullshit trap/room that isn't possible to beat without it.

Not usually IDDQD.

If I make a silly mistake I summon Medkits instead.

If it ever gets to point I feel the need to go invincible, I'm usually tired of the wad and liable to stop playing soon anyway.

Very occasionally I might Noclip for a secret I can see but don't understand, or when I'm utterly stuck progression wise, and see how it operates from the inside. Then try to get there legit, if possible.

Everyone plays a different way, in the end. I never understand achievement hunters.

This subject brings to mind an idea. How about a mod that lets you become invincible with the press of a button, the catch being that it uses up a limited meter?