Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Near Death Experiences: A Community Project //CANCELLED//

This sounds like an intriguing project. Given the subject matter, paging @Mk7_Centipede.

I don't have the requisite skill in UDMF, so I can't join. Best wishes to all the mappers on this project. I'm interested to see the final map set from this project.

Said this on the Discord but I may as well say it here to make it official

I'm interested in this project, and though I would be fine being a playtester, I'd like to try my hand at making a map for this 8)
I'm just not sure what slot to file it under, however, so hopefully that won't pose as too much of an issue :/

Cool idea! I’m down for a map. I’ve vaguely thought about doing some #deathpositivity maps before where the object is for the player to die rather than (necessarily) kill demons. Does that sound like a doable idea?

It may be a while before I begin on this, but i'd be willing to make a short and sweet map for this.

6 hours ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Okay, I am in.

Just a little problem: I usually make maps with Doom in Hexen format, but I can try to make a UDMF map too.

That's fine! Hop in the discord and we'll help you with any issues you might have. 

34 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

That's fine! Hop in the discord and we'll help you with any issues you might have. 

I don't have Discord, sorry. But I may register there.

3 minutes ago, DukeOfDoom said:

I don't have Discord, sorry. But I may register there.

yeah it's easier just to communicate there rather than clog up the DW thread with day-to-day communications, I'll do important announcements here as well but Discord is a much easier place to keep everyone informed.

This is a really cool idea, and I've seen you mention it on Discord a few times.  I'd love to make something for it but I feel I am mapped out so to speak, mapping appeals to me until I sit down and start doing it, then I realize i'd rather just be playing, lol.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project, though.

I wonder, is this meant to be stuff like almost dying in an extremely dangerous situation like... A bunch of meteors falling nearby and you just BARELY dodge them?

Or stuff like when you step on a lego?

19 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

@-TDRR-

image.png.fcfc1bbe506e80a43fae7e827f864de9.png

Time to go practise your reading comprehension

The "lego" part was a joke, but it's a serious question. Like, you mean like ACTUALLY dying or almost dying by environmental hazards or that sort of stuff?

Pretty much can be taken how you want. The act of dying? What happens after death? What happens when you come close to death? All are valid ideas to explore

17 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Pretty much can be taken how you want. The act of dying? What happens after death? What happens when you come close to death? All are valid ideas to explore

Sounds really cool, will be following this for sure. Quite unique idea for a Doom community project and has lots of potential.

Yeah I was drawn to it too which is why I agreed to help the Major with the project. I'll be starting my map hopefully next month too which I'm pretty excited about

1 minute ago, -TDRR- said:

The "lego" part was a joke, but it's a serious question. Like, you mean like ACTUALLY dying or almost dying by environmental hazards or that sort of stuff?

"Near Death Experiences, a community project that aims to explore people's thoughts and views on death and dying"

I think Major Arlene left it sort of open-ended, but the maps for this project could easily run the range from violent to introspective to claustrophobic to vast to serene to jarring. I think it's somewhat left up to your own interpretation (so long as it's serious), but I think it's meant to be very much like Bridgeburner said.

Heaven and Hell, Netherworlds, traveling from one plane of existence to another, dying and then being brought back, being near death and fighting for life, being on death's door, watching those around you suffer and die, your own suffering as you die, others suffering as you die and you being trapped in your own space unable to do anything, peace after you are freed of earthly torments, a descent into madness as death approaches, etc., etc.--the possibilities are endless.

18 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Heaven and Hell, Netherworlds, traveling from one plane of existence to another, dying and then being brought back, being near death and fighting for life, being on death's door, watching those around you suffer and die, your own suffering as you die, others suffering as you die and you being trapped in your own space unable to do anything, peace after you are freed of earthly torments, a descent into madness as death approaches, etc., etc.--the possibilities are endless.

That just gave me an idea! I won't sign up but if i get to map something and actually finish it, is it fine if i submit it if i haven't joined the Discord before?

I'm not sure how I feel about a project for Doom based on NDE's. I have been obsessively researching and reading other peoples pleasant experiences of leaving the body and entering a very loving place full of beings since late 2017 from sources such as IANDS, NDERF and We Don't Die Radio, the usage of the idea through a game may give the wrong understanding or idea of what NDE's are about to those who lack knowledge on the subject. We seem to be reaching a time in humanity where such things are becoming more accepted and no longer ridiculed.

2 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I'm not sure how I feel about a project for Doom based on NDE's. I have been obsessively researching and reading other peoples pleasant experiences of leaving the body and entering a very loving place full of beings since late 2017 from sources such as IANDS, NDERF and We Don't Die Radio, the usage of the idea through a game may give the wrong understanding or idea of what NDE's are about to those who lack knowledge on the subject. We seem to be reaching a time in humanity where such things are becoming more accepted and no longer ridiculed.

I think you've missed the point of the wad slightly. This is not about NDEs specifically (it's slight misnomer) rather what happens around death and after. An opportunity to explore death and the afterlife, very much conceptual. It's at best a coincidental link.

Spoiler

Also I doubt that everyone's brushes with death are loving but that's just me.

it's been a few months since I've last updated, but rest assured for all it's still very much a thing. I've got a few completed maps for the set and an awesome lineup of mappers that I'm proud to have with me here :)

Attached is an album with some map screens to prove we're all still working on it :)
Updated hopeful release date is the tail-end of 2020.
https://imgur.com/a/Rt3CZa7

oh heck it's been like a year lol

I promise we're still going!
My original map has FINALLY been completed and is ready for testing!

Bauul has also made an incredible secret level that I think you guys will enjoy!

We're still aiming for a beta soon in early 2021- watch this space!