Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eradrop

Avactor last update is out

May I suggest distributing this as a zip or 7z file? As a zip file it's 30MB, and it's only 14 if a 7z. Regardless I'm looking forward to playing!

Not particularly sold on the "statue" enemies on the other hand, they feel a bit too cartoonish and out of place in these temples.
Still, they fill a useful role in the enemy roster.

Got stuck on map 03 here :

zdoom 2018-08-19 12-14-32-04.png

zdoom 2018-08-19 12-14-36-26.png

12 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Also, are you planning to upload this in idgames

Sure Im planning, after getting all the feedbacks and fixing all the bugs that might be revealed.

2 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

Some monsters' projectile speed seems to have been increased

Yes, imp's projectile is a bit faster than the standard.

4 hours ago, riderr3 said:

such large wads with OGG/MP3 soundtrack

The wad does not include mp3/ogg, all the musics are Midi.

Edited by Eradrop

1 hour ago, Eradrop said:

The wad does not include mp3/ogg, all the musics are Midi.

Thanks! I see this one is quality wad. If I only have time to play this, because right now I'm working on my own project. Added to playlist.

8 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

May I suggest distributing this as a zip or 7z file? As a zip file it's 30MB, and it's only 14 if a 7z. Regardless I'm looking forward to playing!

I promise next update will come out as a zip file if you tell it has so massive difference.

6 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

Got stuck on map 03 here :

zdoom 2018-08-19 12-14-32-04.png

Excellent discovery, thank you so much, that's the kind of bugs I'm most afraid of.

Please if any of you guys find a bug, post it... I didn't have much testers to compare this massive maps.

But not only technical bugs, I would like to see your thoughts, and general feedbacks, please post here everything that comes to your mind.

:)

Finally it came out !

I'll surely play this as soon as I have time, all the screenshots look wonderful, the monsters, the views.

It's really heavy file, I hope my computer will deal with that. :D

By the way, congrats on the release !

Congratulations on the release! Played the first two maps and so far, I'm really enjoying this. I would maybe tweak a few areas in terms of details and gameplay but nothing to heart breaking. Can't wait to see what's coming up next in those maps. Well done.

lol that spot where you have been stuck... I was stuck there too.

Not really matter, STILL AMAZING WAD !

Edited by Samurai Horn

Thank you all for the encouraging reception.

I just should tell you that the map list was meant to be played in playing continues. so if you start from pistol start on mid/late levels you might find your self on extremly low ammo. on these levels you will get ammo for weapons that you dont have but you should have from previous levels.

It's a way to make the wad a bit more tougher but the main reason for this is, if you're a player who likes to play megawads in playing continues , (like me), I dont want you to get to a point that you're fighting on full ammo, and keep getting more and more ammo so you need to leave it behind. It's something that always made me mad on IWADS and classic megawads.

Very interesting maps. with Avactor, REKKR, and Lost Civilization we're really spoiled recently for highly polished pseudorealistic, quasi-oldschool wads centered on natural environments. I surmised very quickly that the monster-placement/combat in this set wasn't going to be to my tastes, so I played through the wad on skill 2 (basically wanted to take in the sights without having to deal with the huge walls of beef scattered throughout on the higher settings). Overall my impression is positive, I love how each map starts and ends with sprawling vistas, the visuals in general were great. The spritework was obviously a huge undertaking, so kudos there (I wonder why the archvile was left out? in the trailer video it looks like the AV had a shield or something at one point?). I also appreciate, up to a certain point, how elaborately interconnected many of the layouts are, if I had to make comparisons I'd say this set was like... a meaner, quirkier, cl9 btsxe2.. with a little bit of echelon thrown in (the only other mapset that comes to mind that used deep greens so extensively as structural textures). Here are some miscellaneous thoughts, in no particular order:

(+) Bold move to have the mapset immediately begin with a (admittedly optional) hexen-like crushing platform puzzle. I love it :D

(+) Good to see map progression that's a bit more adventurous (i.e. a bit less hand-holding) than a lot of modern doom. only a couple things that didn't sit great with me:

---- 96 is pretty dark in software gfx, just sayin' (lookin' at you, map02 linedef 8217)

---- "This way!" and "-->" symbols seemed a bit.. much. I get the impression you had an original draft of the map without those and you watched as some playtesters got helplessly lost? ;D

(+) m06 was definitely my favorite, some great sectorwork, lots of world-building detail

(-) Holy christ these maps are huge. I know many players dig that, but personally I prefer a bit more brevity. I guess I get bored of midi and architectural motifs faster than the average bear, so the fact that this set was monstrously huge map after monstrously huge map definitely wore me down towards the end.

(-) I'm getting a bit of resource clash with some of the assets. The iwad waterfall doesn't really mix well with the new water, and the heretic lavafall looks rather cartoony.

(-) Similarly, the turret enemy sprites feel very cartoony and out of place compared to the rest of the gfx

(-) I was never big on hitting invisible barriers when trying to run around in out-of-bounds ocean areas, there's gotta be a more elegant way to do it.

(-) This is neither here nor there, but I found it pretty hilarious that for 7 maps in a row there was without fail a trap that consisted of: grab zerk/chainsaw --> pinkies are springed on you. It's one of those clichés that I wonder if mappers even consciously think about, or if they just sorta make it on autopilot :p

Thank you Ribbiks for the excellent feedback.

Ill probably put more attention for every thing you have mentioned.

About the liquid I must agree with you, the floor liquid is from heretic2 texture pack and I guess the main reason to use its because doom's liquid was never been a good texture for me. I surely keep looking or even making a new liquid from stretch in the next update.

Can raise this lift and not entering it, breaking the map, coz it won't come back down (map06).  Although It is meant for SP i  hosted it on Zandronum and my surviving marine got caught here.

Screenshot_Doom_20180821_210903.png

37 minutes ago, grrfield said:

Can raise this lift and not entering it, breaking the map, coz it won't come back down (map06).  Although It is meant for SP i  hosted it on Zandronum and my surviving marine got caught here.

Basicly, the lift suppose to crush you to death if trying to run out, but I guess Zdoom source ports can somehow avoid it.

Thanks for floting this up, I'll check after this issue. :)

By the way, cool chaingun hehe

Gotta admit I'm very curious about the archvile sprite from the trailer, the few seconds it appeared looked dope and more fitting than the original sprite. It's your decision of course, but if you change your mind, I think it'll belong to the theme.

I'm at MAP06 now. I love this kind of maps with these very detailed and realistic sceneries, and there was a huge work done here for the custom assets. I think that the statue enemy is fine but maybe it doesn't "feel" enough aztec, the radiation suit really need a replacement though. Bold decision to put also crushers and some death traps, I really liked to see that. This is probably due to having such long maps but some fights, traps, or monster usage seemed similar some times. In particular the usage of demons in mixed groups where they are useful to become shields for the projectiles, and as Ribbiks noted the swarms of pinkies when you pick up the chainsaw/berserk. It's a chiclé that's funny to see here and there but in all maps (or even multiple times like MAP05) is more than enough. The maps are plenty of secrets which is good but some are rather weird, like lone secret backpacks at mid map or few ammo. I was surprised to encounter more custom enemies on MAP05: the BFG arachnorb and those fast horned demons, maybe that flat and large arena wasn't the best place to showcase their strength. On my way I was able to spot these things:

Spoiler

MAP01: there was an imp underneath this sector

avactor1.jpg.3dbf892f1d94529e3d665b723e550772.jpg

MAP03: you can drop down to the left side of the blue key door pyramind and get stuck at the bottom

avactor2.png.4847a90170aa7aa4038a870250ce1f33.png

MAP03: from this rock it's possible to jump down on the water with no way to go back, it's on the eastern area

avactor3.png.4c9e3f9754f35a2ddffab1a525b5d6d8.png

MAP03: clipping mid textures

avactor4.jpg.82567bd3d33348a7a5e9cd26b50b7456.jpg

MAP05: a sector is missing the sky-transfer, the teleport of the secret chainsaw area

avactor5.jpg.0eeedaed1b0694f76c04fafe8fdecb69.jpg

MAP05: you can climb those stairs and go to: get stuck at the secret soulsphere, reach the ships when the sectors are still "underwater" and you can also get the YK before the the RK

avactor6.jpg.eeabbf0b4301485e451ea891544555c9.jpg

15 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Gotta admit I'm very curious about the archvile sprite from the trailer, the few seconds it appeared looked dope and more fitting than the original sprite. It's your decision of course, but if you change your mind, I think it'll belong to the theme.

I didnt put the archvile's skin not because I didnt like it, it's not done yet. It's really intense period in my life now and all the sprites of the archvile you've seen in the trailer it's what I did so far, only the moving sprites and the 3 first attack sprites. all the other I'll do and hopfuly add them to the updated version.

gaspe: thank you very very much for the feedback, helped me alot. I still see I have lot's of work to do and it's wonderful to know that.

1 hour ago, gaspe said:

I'm at MAP06 now

Honestly, I must say i'm waiting for your opinion about the rest of the maps, and the bugs you might find. :)

Accidentally found out that you could skip the rest of the map02 jumping over the corner of this ledge.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180823_132221.png.e57d54a6e9cde06052e630a7df9bfe57.png

Hihi I have a question. How the hell do you get that soulsphere secret in the first level? Also I'm absolutely loving the sprite replacements. Longer levels ftw

Looking forward to completing this beast!

11 minutes ago, Firedust said:

How the hell do you get that soulsphere secret in the first level?

Hehehe it's a secret :) you need to open your mind to figure out the clue.

I warn you NOT TO USE DOOMBUILDER to solve it :) :)

14 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Also I'm absolutely loving the sprite replacements

I'm glad to hear it :) enjoy !

I beat the whole level, but I still couldn't find it. I know there's a teleporter where the health bonuses are, and I'm guessing the one monster I'm missing is in that secret. I have no idea how to use doombuilder, by the way :)

Oh well, going to keep on playing then :D

EDIT: Just beat map 2. Quality stuff. I actually killed all the monsters and found all the secrets in this one. Also about the arch-vile: I genuinely think you should keep the original sprite, because it fits into this whole Mayan cult thing perfectly imho. Just my two cents. Also I almost lost my sh*t when I saw one of the stone heads blinking. What the hell, dude xD

Edited by Firedust

15 hours ago, Firedust said:

I beat the whole level, but I still couldn't find it. I know there's a teleporter where the health bonuses are, and I'm guessing the one monster I'm missing is in that secret. I have no idea how to use doombuilder, by the way :)

Oh well, going to keep on playing then :D

Will be a good reason for you to play again the map :) 

You can notice that all the maps have many secrets, I'm sure some of you would find them all at the first playing but if you didn't... it's something that keeps the map still interesting (in my opinion) I must say I'm playing doom/doom2 over 15 years and I still don't know all the secrets, and when I found one it made my day :) About the archvile, I'm working on the new skin, and I'm kinda agree with you but another reason for doing this is for the symmetry.

Reached to map 10 and OMG, map09 "Overflooded with ideas" was so fucking long, But I enjoyed every single moment. I really like the idea of running around the map looking for switches and at the end of thing you "building" a long bridge that crossing the map, excellent job ! 

Hi again. On map 3 you can get stuck in the plasma gun pyramid after lowering the switches. I think I crossed the same linedef for the second time after surviving the trap and got trapped as a result.

EDIT: I'm on map 8 already. This stuff is so addictive. I really like the map layout and length, the encounters, the monster replacements, pretty much everything. The secrets are very satisfying to find too. I also really like how you've made this mapset to be played continuous. It's not often that you find a secret key when you've already killed every monster on the map and then you look for the corresponding door :)

However, I really suggest you increase the number of radsuits in some places. The first lava trap in map 8 has none (unless I missed it), and it could prove to be nigh impossible to survive unless the player's got a bfg. Put at least one there. Players would still want to kill all the monsters there as quickly as possible, especially on their first-time playthrough since they wouldn't know when that lava encounter will be over (i.e. if there are any more lava traps nearby or whether more enemies will spawn). I also recommend adding a radsuit for when you get the bfg, and lower the teleporter, too. You have to cross a pretty bigass lava area to reach it and there isn't a single radsuit to help you. You can spawn it after the right switch is pressed. That way, players won't have the opportunity to camp out most of the fights in the lava section. 

Soz for the long edit.

EDIT 2: Map 8, blue key area - there is a hom by the south-eastern switch if you look away from the switch (I think it's the third one in the switch sequence).

EDIT 3: Map 8 again. Found all the secrets but didn't kill all the monsters. Not sure if it's the teleporters not behaving as intended or if it's me failing to pick up certain items. Anyhow, here they are: one unmasked pinkie (bottom-right teleporter), 3 groups of two unmasked pinkies and one baron of hell each (easternmost teleporter), and two chaingunners (somewhere around the teleporters I've mentioned before). Playing on UV on the latest Zdoom version. It could be me missing stuff (but I did find all the secrets), but it still wouldn't hurt to check, because inside the blue key area there was one or two switches that when pressed didn't seem to spawn any monsters. Sorry for spam-editing, but I guess it's better than double- or triple-posting.

Edited by Firedust

Map 9 took me 2 and a half hours. Absolutely gorgeous. Loved the fights (the mini tricks and traps section was awesome!) and the general concept of raising the stone bridge to get to the exit. I actually found all the secrets, but again, didn't kill all the monsters. There were 4 revs that didn't teleport in, I've no idea why (they were in the middle teleporters). If the teleporters are working as intended, would you mind letting me know what's actually supposed to trigger them? I swear I've picked pretty much everything up.

Anyhow, got two more maps to go. This is definitely cacoward-worthy material right here.

Thanks for the kind words man, please keep on playing and share your thoughts.

I have been looking in the map after what you have mentioned, many places in the whole wad, you can find a single ammo or health that covered by a trap, even if it doesnt really special supply.

I'm pretty much sure I know about what revenants you spoke, they were defending the blue armor where the archvile was, this is not an important area to continue so probably you missed it.