Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MarineOnTheForum

Cacodemon sprite replacing problems

I’m making a wad, and was trying to replace the Cacodemon with the Octobrain from Duke Nukem 3D. When I test it in GZDOOM, sometimes, when I hit it, it switches to a Cacodemon sprite. I would like to know how to fix this.

It sounds to me like your sprite set is missing frames E and or F, which are the frames seen in the pain state. You need to make or copy frames for one or both of these so this doesn't happen.

It shouldn't be doing this, then. If you have all the frames, you should also have all the angles. There are usually five sprites for monsters that have the frame and a number at the end, like A1, A2, A3, etc. Some have two, like A2A8, A3A7, and A4A6, which are those that are mirrored. The only thing I can think of at this point that might be happening is an angle is missing somewhere.

Why replace cacodemon when you can use decorate or zscript if you aim for gzdoom compatibility?

To use DECORATE, you need to create a DECORATE lump in your wad, then code the actor you want to add.

Here's the cacodemon page I was using as reference to help you here.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Cacodemon

Obviously, you want to write the code yourself so it works properly and the way you want, but this should give you a reference to work with.

Also, check this useful page on DECORATE.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

It has guides and all sorts of reference so you know exactly what flag does what thing, what action should be used where and what it means, etc.