Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solmyr

Shrines of Hellfire.

This is my first published map, nothing fancy just stock Doom II assets, a custom status bar, basic scritps and a music track from Final Doom.

Name: Shrines of Hellfire.

Map Format: UDMF.

Ports Tested: GZDoom.

IWAD: Doom II.

Map: Map 01

Music: Agony Rhapsody from TNT Evilution composed by Jonathan El-Bizri, Josh Martel, L.A. Sieben and Tom Mustaine.

Gameplay: Single Player.

Difficulty Settings: Yes.

Requirements: Jumping, crouching and freelook is allowed but it won't make a difference anyways.

Spoiler

TM8HPvZ.png

Wp0OHjb.png

LJYA8IK.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t4i43wiii764clt/Shrines_of_Hellfire.wad/file

Second Edit: corrected several misaligned textures amongst other minor things, removed some monster triggers so it doesn't conflict with mods that replaces them.

Edited by Solmyr

Nice screenshots!

It looks like you might have some misalignment on the vine texture on the right side of the 1st screenshot, but it's somewhat difficult to tell if that is misalignment or just the edge of a wall that you can't see.

By the way, kudos to a very good post for your submission. It had all the information you needed to know.

4 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Nice screenshots!

It looks like you might have some misalignment on the vine texture on the right side of the 1st screenshot, but it's somewhat difficult to tell if that is misalignment or just the edge of a wall that you can't see.

By the way, kudos to a very good post for your submission. It had all the information you needed to know.

Thanks! And yes you're right it is missaligned, i forgot to polish that area.

Hmm, just tried this out and couldn't complete it; had a couple of issues with not being able to proceed.

Notably, in the Soul Sphere room, there appears to be no way to escape:
6YOhJGb.png

I shot all the grates in case there was a hidden switch, humped all the walls, but still, you can't use or open the door:
UUQ3Cpl.png

I had to Noclip to get out.

Then, later on, in the Pain Elemental Room, after opening both of their enclosures and defeating them, there is still no access to the Red Skull Key.

y7WbWMu.png

s0jKPse.png

I wondered around and there didn't appear to be any further changes. So I had to exit there (attempting to noclip through to the red-key instantly killed me).

Shame, really, looks quite nice all the way through, and though I'm not a fan of teleport ambushes most of those were used reasonably (except the chaingunners one).

JURN4s4.png

One other thing; the barons church room, I thought there might be a secret down here, so I leapt down, but the floor instantly kills you. Fortunately I quick saved.

Oh, and there's a quite a bit of a misalignment in the start cracks textures:
h9u9Ze7.png

6 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Hmm, just tried this out and couldn't complete it; had a couple of issues with not being able to proceed.

Notably, in the Soul Sphere room, there appears to be no way to escape:

That's weird, the soul sphere room is a trap that when you reach the sector when the soul shpere is, it teleports lost souls, and one of them appears in every difficulty level, and has a door open special with open stay option.

Then, later on, in the Pain Elemental Room, after opening both of their enclosures and defeating them, there is still no access to the Red Skull Key.

One  of the Pain Elementals has a raise ceiling special, the other has a floor lower special. When both are killed it opens up the hallway to the red skull key. I'm going to edit my map in GZdoom builder, then test my map again with the mod you used to see if it works. I had some issues testing my map a couple of days ago, like after finishing the level, i couldn't enter Underhalls i got a message from the console saying that player 1 start is missing, but that happened only once.

One other thing; the barons church room, I thought there might be a secret down here, so I leapt down, but the floor instantly kills you. Fortunately I quick saved.

I left that on purpouse, it is a hint that you must proceed to the other side of the chasm when you activate the skull switch in the hellknight church.

Oh, and there's a quite a bit of a misalignment in the start cracks textures

I forgot to fix that, even though i fixed the rest of the missaligned textures in the level.

Thanks for the feedback i'll fix those issues, it's a shame that my first published map was a convoluted mess, but like most things in life it is trial and error. 

Could be Shades of Doom causing the pain elemental issue then, if it is specifically expecting pain elementals for the trigger, as they were replaced with alternate sprite versions. Argent doesn't normally cause problems.

The lost souls were already unleashed when I opened the door to the soul sphere room.

3 hours ago, eharper256 said:

Could be Shades of Doom causing the pain elemental issue then, if it is specifically expecting pain elementals for the trigger, as they were replaced with alternate sprite versions. Argent doesn't normally cause problems.

The lost souls were already unleashed when I opened the door to the soul sphere room.

It could be that by replacing the pain elementals the triggers didn't work. I removed the triggers of the pain elementals, added an alternate exit to the soulsphere room and tested it with several mods, Project Brutality, Shades of Doom, Roguelike Arsenal, and it worked fine for now.

Yeah, I spoke with Cyanide (Shades of Doom creator) over at the ZDoom forum by the way, he is aware that the mod sometimes causes issues with monster based scripts (as apparently do alot of mods that replace monsters) but not how to fix it right now. I think alot of maps avoid them (you don't see them often) because they can be a bit finicky at the best of times.

Anyways, good on you for throwing out a fix quickly; I'll give it go again when I get a moment (probably not tommorow though, I have a meetup with mates).