Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Popular/highly rated WAD's you're not a fan of?

What's the point of a mod when it does nothing? If a mod has to be mod, it needs to change a game in some areas.

And if Brutal Doom isn't actually a mod because it does nothing, then why would it even exist in the first place? Same thing goes for all other mods.

19 hours ago, Doge Sword said:

brutal doom - I know this isn't a level wad but I need people to know that brutal doom is pointless and does basically nothing

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Brutal Doom rocks, deal with it.  

But let's get back on topic: This wad was already mentioned before but can someone explain why people recommend Alien Vandeta so much? I see it being recommended quite frequently when people look for some random mega wad to play, but the wad is so.... averrage at best?  

It has a few levels that are kinda enjoyable but nothing special, but some are downright awful. Like the whole map is super linear, while you fight through narrow passages with enemies just being thrown at you in no interesting way. It's as linear and dull as it can get at its worst points.  

And then there is this pyramid level which feels like it's ripped from a compleete different mod, because it's the only map with custom texture... and so many custom textures at that! The design was really refreshing when reaching it, but then the gameplay turned out even more awful. More tubes to figh through and a horribly confusing maze..... *sigh* I just don't understand what people like about it :I  

I recommend only playing it when you got a really interesting gameplay mod

Edited by Lampenpam

I like threads like this because they're a good source a recommendations. :)

Not counting WADs that I stopped playing rather quickly because I figured they weren't for me, and other WADs that I petered out in not so much because I didn't like them as because other stuff snatched my interest away, the only one I really think is worth mentioning is Hell Revealed. I like "hard" WADs and slaughter stuff but as others have said, what I played of it often felt grindy and at other times less "elegant" or interesting than later WADs that it helped inspire (including Alien Vendetta). Not wholly without merit but I couldn't bring to do more than play through some of the earlier maps, and bounce around in the console to check out some of the later maps (which I don't normally do).

I really like Alien,

Edited by Lane Powell

Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed are both ones that were hyped up quite a bit but were disappointing to me in the end. Granted, this is coming from the perspective of playing them recently for the first time, not when they were new and probably more essential. There were plenty of maps I enjoyed in both, but the consistency was all over the place and some design and gameplay choices simply have not aged well, particularly in late-game scenarios. In AV there were a lot of padding issues that made things drag on way longer than they needed to and this is always irritating to me.

It's interesting to see how many couldn't get into Ancient Aliens. I originally didn't care for it a couple years ago on my first playthrough, but I went back to it twice a few months back and it quickly became one of my favorites. I'm a firm believer that familiarity with a wad, along with skill level and mood plays a big part in the enjoyment of some wads, and with that it's worth revisiting some a second time. Sometimes you'll reaffirm it's really not for you, but other times you'll discover a new favorite.

Some of the levels in Alien Vendetta sucks. I particularly couldn't stand that pyramid level.

I also hate D2TWID, even more uglier levels that surpass Doom 2's vanilla levels.

9 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Some of the levels in Alien Vendetta sucks. I particularly couldn't stand that pyramid level.

I also hate D2TWID, even more uglier levels that surpass Doom 2's vanilla levels.

That was the point, wasn't it ? I like it, but I have a dislike for some of the more difficult levels and the end level(cough* Alfonzo)

On 7/30/2018 at 7:33 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

That pyramid level looked pretty good, but yeah the navigation kinda killed the map, it involved quite a bit of backtracking from what I remember and, well, given my nonexistent sense of direction you know what happened next.

Still, if we're talking about real bad levels from AV, that's easily going to be MAP21, ugly, boring, and feels completely out of place.

21 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Still, if we're talking about real bad levels from AV, that's easily going to be MAP21, ugly, boring, and feels completely out of place.

While I can understand the almost unanimous dislike of this map, I have to say that I enjoy it. Yes, it's painfully flat, the gameplay is uninspired at times, and it's funky looking (which I actually enjoy), but I consider it to be a pretty decent breather map after the behemoth that was Map 20; it starts off the amazing, yet daunting hell episode of AV nice and easy, with a somewhat foreboding atmosphere courtesy of the MIDI and some the map details/body ornaments. It's not a great map. In fact if it were placed anywhere else in the wad, I may not regard it fondly... but I'm not averse to almost museum-like maps every once in a while to help give the wad some breathing room. 

Hell Revealed 1 and 2, first 15 levels of Memento Mori, Epic 2, Scythe 2 and Jenesis.

HR1 is just... unfair, and plays like crap, imo. HR2 is just meh.

Epic 2 is just boooring. Epic 1 is amazing tho.

Scythe 2 goes completely downhill after level 20 and becomes a BFG spam party

Jenesis... It's all techbases, man

Darkeining E2 is the first thing that comes to mind.  The tight resource balance and very low health just don't make it an enjoyable experience for me.  I can find enjoyment when ammo is tight enough that I'm never at full capacity but it being stingy through all 12 maps is a turnoff.  Combat Shock 2 is another one where the style of its gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

Unholy Realms I cannot get into and am at a loss for words to explain why.  There isn't any apparent logic either as Jenesis is also a one-person megaWAD and I regard that one positively.

15 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

Darkeining E2 is the first thing that comes to mind.  The tight resource balance and very low health just don't make it an enjoyable experience for me.  I can find enjoyment when ammo is tight enough that I'm never at full capacity but it being stingy through all 12 maps is a turnoff.  Combat Shock 2 is another one where the style of its gameplay doesn't appeal to me.

Agreed, I found the level design and textures a lot less interesting than E1 and most of the maps were way too stingy with pickups.

I haven't played a lot of the highly popular WADs, but often I can just tell it wouldn't be my cup of tea anyway. I downloaded and played some of BTSX E1, it has pleasant gameplay but its beautifully detailed maps just make me sad because I can see it took effort, but it all just feels generic and unremarkable to me. It has a neat and unique-ish aesthetic as a whole, but nothing in particular stands out. There was something akin to storyline in the text file, and I forgot it all instantly after I was done reading.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:44 AM, Doge Sword said:

ancient aliens

cyberdreams - its a good puzzle type thing but it isn't really doom-like

brutal doom - I know this isn't a level wad but I need people to know that brutal doom is pointless and does basically nothing

Brutal Doom is Doom on steroids.

Nothing particularly special.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, amackert said:

Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed are both ones that were hyped up quite a bit but were disappointing to me in the end. 

...familiarity with a wad, along with skill level and mood plays a big part in the enjoyment of some wads, and with that it's worth revisiting some a second time.

I went through both of these again over the last couple of weeks and I warmed up to Alien Vendetta. I still don't think it's top-tier like it's often referred as, but I do think it's a good wad. Hell Revealed on the other hand, I still had a garbage time with it.

Slaughtermaps, because what's more fun than being anally raped by 10 Arch-viles, 4 Cyberdemons and 30 Revenants in a tiny room while Hell Noble and Commando snipers kill you in 2 seconds???????

I hate BD for adding nothing meaningful and being too buggy for its own good half the time. I don't need to get into the creator's attitude either because it's irrelevant to my opinion of BD, I still don't like the mod itself. If I'm going to use a weapon mod, right now I lean to La Tailor Girl or HXRTC which actually modify the game in a meaningful way to justify being weapon mods. Otherwise I stick to Doom Enhanced or Smooth Doom for the original game but better.

I'll have to add BTSX1 here :/

I'm playing through the whole thing (I'm on map 21), and while there's some awesome levels (1, 7, 15, 19), everything else feels too homogeneous for me, with a very similar look, elements (be visual or gameplay) and layouts. (corridors + dungeon crawling in techbases, where 19 is a good exception) There's a good focus on the atmosphere, especially due to the awesome MIDI's, which justifies the straightforward gameplay, but still, lots of the incidental setups are a lot grindy, with mid-tiers (especially HK and baron's) to kill with a SS where the player is in safety and there's no reason to move except in the expected switch/key traps. It would also be more enjoyable if there was more rockets instead of shells...

Edited by Deadwing

50 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

I'll have to add BTSX1 here :/

Yeah I found much of btsx1 very same-y.  Great detail, atmosphere,  music indeed, it was just the fact that I wandered through one sprawling base after the other and could barely tell the maps apart afterwards. Which,  of course,  indicates a very homogenous work, one that sticks to its concept... with all the pros and cons that come with this. 

@ alien vendetta,  hr1 and eternal doom: one should read more on those, for example the dwmc threads when these were played. Not all of eternal is a switch hunt, hr1 has that plain first third, and alien vendetta, dunno, maybe expectations are too high? Of all examples here, hr2 seemed an example of "let's throw more at the player than hr1", but again, someone who enjoyed this might disagree. 

Doom 2. It's not terrible, but I only really liked about 5 maps from it and I hated a lot more than that.

6 hours ago, Phoby said:

Doom 2. It's not terrible, but I only really liked about 5 maps from it and I hated a lot more than that.

I will definitely say that I prefer the first game. Don't get me wrong, Doom 2 is great, but I find the general visual aesthetic of it unappealing. I much prefer the slow transition from the colorful tech base to the grimy hellscapes in the later parts of the game. Doom 2 feels too muted in it's color palet to me, too many browns and dark greens/reds that it all kinda blends together.

I also, in general, prefer the level design of Doom 1. It just seems to make more sense overall, and feels like you're in a actual location and traveling through it, whereas Doom 2 doesn't really feel as cohesive between levels. With some exception, they don't seem like they have a natural transition between locations.

Smooth Doom. Adds a lot of unnecessary bloat that is absolutely out-of-scope IMO. I only need the sprites to be smooth and I don't need extra stuff like casings, recoils, alternate explosions etc. bloating the mod. They would be in a separate addon instead.

there are plenty for me but i think Deus Vult II perfectly captures what i don't like about the big, popular Doom wads. super hard, super bloated levels, same kind of combat, all glitz and pomp yet somehow total high school aesthetics in other ways. i admit i'm just not a fan of slaughter wads but there's more to it that bothers me about DV2 than just that. i'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff inspired by it either, but at least a lot of that stuff took it in different directions.

i also never super got into Scythe 2, though i think it's at least alright.

Guest Unregistered account
On 9/4/2018 at 3:41 PM, Cacodemon345 said:

Smooth Doom. Adds a lot of unnecessary bloat that is absolutely out-of-scope IMO. I only need the sprites to be smooth and I don't need extra stuff like casings, recoils, alternate explosions etc. bloating the mod. They would be in a separate addon instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can turn those off in options.

2002 ADO: Arrive in a hub room with 3 locked key doors and 1 open door. Find red key. Return to hub. Open red key door. Find yellow key. Return to hub. Open yellow key door. Find blue key. Return to hub. Open blue key door. Go to exit. Repeat for 30+ levels.

BTSX1: already tried to go through it twice, but I lose interest halfway because everything looks the same. (love BTSX2 though)

The Russian community megawads (Sacrament, A.L.T. ...) always seem to have a few levels that are just too weird or confusing for me, making me ragequit the wad once I reach those

Anything Slaughtery. (SL2011, 2012, SlaughterMAX, Chillax, etc.)
Nicolas Monti wads.
Have to agree on Stardate 20x7 unfortunately. 20x6 was way better.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, JBerg said:

Eternal Doom, a wad about switch hunting.

100% in agreement there.