Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wakemare

Hell in Doom Moving Forward

So,

reading lots here about what the general consensus is regarding the new Doom games. I am always interested to read both positive and negative thoughts about the 2016 Doom game and what will be the new Doom Eternal. I fall into the category of people that do really enjoy Doom 2016. I love the lore, the gameplay and the overall atmosphere... but i can understand the opinions of those who dont necessarily agree that it is a good game.

I guess, i would love to know what people would believe to be good additions to the game to make Hell in the Doom games more appealing. For me it is the below:

- I agree that hell needs to be more frightening, but how can the developers make it more frightening?

- I would say to make it more frightening the game needs more going on that is inconsequential to the game, like actual souls pleading for mercy or being torn to pieces by contraptions or devices

- There should be more foreboding in a musical sense.... and this is in no way a problem for Mick Gordon, he did an amazing job on adhering to the brief and the soundfields he created were utterly fantastic, but more detail is needed to make this whole scene more terrifying and unnerving. A departure from the usual sound design elements of the game was needed here i think, like more of a 'presence' in the sound design.

- There needed to be a change in the overall visceral appeal of the Hell levels, they seem as though they just look different from an environmental standpoint, they needed to look totally different from all perspectives, they need to actually FEEL different, like again, a total departure from the way the Mars missions feel.

- The environment of hell seems totally abandoned apart from the demons that want to kill you and are able to kill you, it would be interesting to have things that do like 1% damage to you that r like feeble souls trapped in Hell, i want to see torture and pain, not just the left overs of what happened but also like souls being broken, the architecture and design of hell needs to be about pain and suffering, darker and more foreboding.

I dunno, tell me what you guys think, what do you want to see in Hell? what do you want to feel in Hell?

Back then, when I was playing Doom/Doom II hell levels for the first time, I had much more feeling that I'm in some very very wrong place, where no one supposed to be. All that frightening walls with screaming stretched faces, hellish sky with skulls, strobe lights, massacred bodies hanging from ceilings, overall gore and nightmare on every corner, vasting blood pools etc. Hell in new Doom is more like generic catacombs, with occasional skulls or skeletons here and there. 

I don't think id should make hell the same way like Agony did. Id software have their own good graphic themes from first Doom\Quake times. I mean something like mixed gothic/metal theme wich is visible in most of areas of classic Doom hell levels, and is used in new Doom of course, but not enough. Gore mixed with computers/tech stuff is another recognizable mark from times when id hellish levels have that "wow" factor. This is something that I miss in 2016 remake. Simple stone walls with runes, caves with candles and randomly placed skeletons are just boring.

Oh yeah the original old Doom hell levels and E2 still creep me out. I think its the levels , music, and the lighting, and monster sounds all combined to make you feel uneasy. But it's why Doom is such a great game.. I still have not played a shooter that can capture the essence and greatness of the original Doom.

Yeah i feel the same, like overall Hell in D2016 seems as though it is just catacombs and cavernous, i know what you mean when you say the old ones feel like humans shouldnt be there, the new one seems like id just made a hell homage and didnt go all out with horrific imagery and a sense of dread. I would love to feel more uneasy and fearful than i did in the new D2016.... when i was a kid, going to Hell in Doom made me feel super scared like i was doing something i shouldnt be doing, or seeing stuff i shouldnt be seeing, D2016, whilst really good, never made me feel like that in Hell.

Honestly I found snapmap to cure my techbase hell needs. Throw a lot of hellish stuff in a white collar area. I had imps working terminals, zombie scientists standing at medical lab stations, demons behind high tech barricades, etc etc

On 7/26/2018 at 7:23 AM, Wakemare said:

- I would say to make it more frightening the game needs more going on that is inconsequential to the game, like actual souls pleading for mercy or being torn to pieces by contraptions or devices

Aside from one silent scrolling texture, that was not a feature of the original Doom.

I was critical of how Hell was presented in D4 but let's be honest... They've established the Doom4guy as a fearless, blood-thirsty demigod that lives to murder demons. Demons are literally afraid of him. It's not Hell that is an unstoppable and formidable force but him. So obviously they have no incentive to make Hell anything but a cool looking fantasy land.

I did like the hell levels, especially the one with the Titan outside. Great ambience. Also the blood waterfalls are there. Maybe what was missing was the half techno half gothic style of the original doom. Otherwise I think they were quite cool.

I also enjoyed Doom 2016s hell levels. Some of them were masterpieces. I'm fine with them not being intimidating since Slayer himself is the worst enemy in the game.