Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pavera

Dad Wad: Single level for Doom 2

Didn't think I'd find a Pavera level tonight. Fun, breezy stuff, the perfect thing to play on a muggy summer night. Hitscans being dispatched from below cooould trivialize it, but since it's just a simple level it's not too big a deal, I had fun regardless. Also, bit much ammo and health on UV, if you're thinking about putting an update out there I'd change that. Other than that, it's just a cool level that makes great use of stock textures and height diversity.

Enjoy being a dad! And hey, once they come of age, maybe you can teach them how to map to continue the legacy of Doom even further! (you're never too young to start ;) )

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I propose a new means of mapping entitled "dadmapping", wherein you lay your little tyke down for an afternoon nap, start mapping, and stop when they reawaken.

The lack of a definite timer here means you'd have to be super mindful of time management. Make your exit early, thingplace as you go, forget texture alignment, etc.

Let's get a megadad community project going.

This implies "dad mapping" would be for dads with young children (i.e., those that still take naps) only. In my experience, that ends by the time kids are 3 (If I remember correctly, my son was done with naps when he was 2). So, what about the dads with children that are still at home, but who no longer take afternoon naps (the kids, not the dads)?

3 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

This implies "dad mapping" would be for dads with young children (i.e., those that still take naps) only. In my experience, that ends by the time kids are 3 (If I remember correctly, my son was done with naps when he was 2). So, what about the dads with children that are still at home, but who no longer take afternoon naps (the kids, not the dads)?

Could map with your kid.

Your kid has an idea or draws a layout and you map it out.

I've done that before (though, I'm not a father, it was my younger brother with the idea).

@Pavera

Congratulations on being a dad! It sounds like this is your first child. It's a lot of work, but extremely rewarding. Also, trust me, this is the easy time of being a dad (whether you believe it or not), so enjoy it!

As for the level, I like the look. Nice work.

To me it's simply mapping between dadly activities. Doesn't necessarily have to be a nap. Building a deck? Draw lines between boards and nails. Helping with homework? Place some things in between questions. In my case, it was mapping after she settled down from a nice bottle. I didn't go into it really with a time limit in mind, but rather just to see how much I could actually accomplish with the limited mapping time I have on a daily basis.

@Pegleg Thank you. :)

Yeah so far it has been work, but I am enjoying it all. She's a really great eater and sleeper, and very cooperative (so far)!

Big congrats on being a daddy pav :)

I may give this a run in delta touch later today.

@Jimmy @Aquila Chrysaetos @Pavera

Dadmapping E1: Dads that map while their kid takes a nap (or while their kids take a nap, in the case of more than 1)

Dadmapping E2: Dads that map with their kid(s) (Aquila, in your case, I guess it would be bro-mapping or sibling mapping)

I would say there was a Dadmapping E3: Dads that map at night after their older kids have gone to bed, but that's basically just mapping.

Can E4 be when dad's are old and the kids have become drinking buddies?

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I propose a new means of mapping entitled "dadmapping", wherein you lay your little tyke down for an afternoon nap, start mapping, and stop when they reawaken.

The lack of a definite timer here means you'd have to be super mindful of time management. Make your exit early, thingplace as you go, forget texture alignment, etc.

Let's get a megadad community project going.

I don't have to manage anything, yet I map just as you described in the above post (sans forgetting texture alignment most of the time) and that makes me somewhat concerned.

Also, love the term 'megadad'

Well I don't necessarily think dadmapping would have to mean a lack of attention to detail or anything like that. To me it really just means "mapping while dad". Typically, I spend months working on a single map pouring over every little detail and honing and honing until I finally think it's ready to be released. Since becoming a dad though, this has really been impossible...so dadmapping to me is a way to break free of my old way, by letting go of my perfectionism and just having a bit more loose fun with it. All that in between poopy diapers, of course.

We could probably have several categories of dadmapping, if we really need to get particular about it. Early Childhood, Aspiring Dad, Dad at Heart (for those of us with a dad inside them, but without kids), Dad of Adult, Dad of Teen, Mom, Maps For Dad, etc. Personally I don't think it needs to be so complicated.

55 minutes ago, Pavera said:

Typically, I spend months working on a single map pouring over every little detail and honing and honing until I finally think it's ready to be released. Since becoming a dad though, this has really been impossible...so dadmapping to me is a way to break free of my old way, by letting go of my perfectionism and just having a bit more loose fun with it. 

I like this sentiment here, and it's actually extremely similar to what @Soundblock said to me in an interview wrt his working on Echelon after maps like Plasmaplant. I don't normally ping folks but I did here so he can clarify if he wishes, as I'll likely say everything all wrong, heh, but it basically came down to 'letting go of perfectionism and having more loose fun with it,' and as a result of the shift in mindset we all got a sweet megawad in Echelon to play.

I think that one other really interesting thing to note is that despite consciously deciding to forego extra layers of detail and letting maps bake a bit longer, the maps still turned out to be widely praised (and aesthetically pleasing in their architectural simplicity with more emphasis placed on using colors schemes and colors in general effectively to portray the designs). It could be argued that they even turned out better as a result, as compared to if that mindset of perfectionism was held on to. Even if for no other reason, for the fact that time-investment-wise it makes a megawad more possible to finish, but I also think there is something to be said for keeping ideas fresh for the author, which to me shows in Echelon in its variety amongst maps that don't overstay perhaps understay their welcome.

Hmm, this felt way too easy. Very large spaces + barely any chaingunners = the monsters can't really do much. The PE and the revenant fights seemed trivial too. The only moderately dangerous moment here is when you ride up a lift and a bunch of shotgunners welcome you. Anyway, it was pleasant for a quick playthrough (demo attached).

https://i.imgur.com/RAnK06k.png - don't forget that these drops of blood aren't attached to the floor

pav-dadwad_mem_FDA.zip

KI also did a quick run on this map; away from home for now so I ran it in PrBoom+ through Delta Touch. Here is an FDA.

I really liked this maps aesthetics over all. Some texture->flat pairings I didn't care for, but that's a minor gripe. I liked the effective architecture and texturing overall. 

Fun layout and flow. Was gonna say effective here but I'm gonna stop myself from using that for the rest of this post because this map is effective on all fronts. On the layout, I liked the way the map led the player a couple times toward the eventual exit.

I'll preface this next part by saying touch screen controls make for uncoordinated play, but even with that considered UV was extremely easy and I agree with memfis on the PE and revs being trivial, though it was kinda fun to run around, grab the armor, then jump down to berserk the PE to start the map so the PE I actually liked over all. The latter parts of the map could have used more teeth, in particular some more strategic revs, a collection of imps, some bulls, and another PE would have fit the weapon selection in this map. A non-secret RL or more ammo would allow for monsters a bit more on the meaty side; some cacos and a couple well-placed AVs would work well in this map.

That said why fix what ain't broke; the gun play is fun and suits reckless, quickly play. Good times pav :D

20 hours ago, Memfis said:

Hmm, this felt way too easy. Very large spaces + barely any chaingunners = the monsters can't really do much. The PE and the revenant fights seemed trivial too. The only moderately dangerous moment here is when you ride up a lift and a bunch of shotgunners welcome you. Anyway, it was pleasant for a quick playthrough (demo attached).

https://i.imgur.com/RAnK06k.png - don't forget that these drops of blood aren't attached to the floor

pav-dadwad_mem_FDA.zip

You're probably right, haha. Honestly I released this without much in the way of actual gameplay testing (a quick run through or two of the map). AAAAAAANd, of course I forgot about the blood drops. Whoopsie daisy! I also sorta had a general MAP01 length and difficulty in mind for it, so I think I'm ok with it being on the short and easy side. I'm considering following it up with maybe a couple extra maps, so that it feels maybe more like part of a complete whole....we'll see about that.

@Fonze Thank you for the kind words, friend. Aesthetically I kinda got really lazy, I usually spend countless hours pouring over every contour, texture offset, color combo, etc...but in this case I kinda said "Fook it" and dropped the mic. It's fine I guess but certainly not my most provocative map. :)

Overall, probably should have added a few more monsters for better gameplay pacing and challenge. I'll consider it all for my next dadmapping venture. Thanks for feedback!

Also became a father this year but that hasn't stopped me from working on my project.