Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The screenshots look good. There are a lot of varied environments, which is good for a 9-level E1 replacement.

What ports did you use for testing?

36 minutes ago, tib_ said:

Doomguy engaged in forbidden occult rituals and ended up in an evil dimension, this time he's taking the offensive against hell.

I imagine this to be the real start of the career for Doomguy; now on his way to becoming the legend of the Doomslayer. XD

Downloaded, and will look at it later for sure.

Played through this on UV with GZDoom. Not too hard though, I think the difficulty was more or less the same on all maps.

I Would love to see some more lighting in the darkest places (which were plentiful)

EDIT: Sector light mode was on dark though.

Still enjoyed it thoroughly, lets see more!

Also a softlock (not a serious one but still..):

Spoiler

E1M6. Near the teleporter that leads to yellow key. Between the metal pillars next to the teleport. 

Vcp0z5H.png?1

Played through with ZDoom32 2.8.5, UV, Doom (Strict) compatibility.

I got very Romero vibes from these maps, largely, and the gameplay wasn't very difficult, appropriate for an E1 replacement.

It was fun. I'd like to see more from you.

Just played this all the way through. I didn't expect to do that - I just chose it as a random new wad from the archive to take a quick look at. UV normal play, pistol starts, prb+ cl2. Fun maps, but low difficulty. A few really careless deaths due to sheer sloppiness or recklessness. The final map was disappointingly easy and rather anticlimactic. One whine about a mild irritation: the deh file removes the map numbers, so I wasn't sure which map I was on other than using IDCLEV.

Overall: thumbs up.

It looks really nice. I'm putting it on my short list. 

make sure you have music enabled when you play, i composed a full soundtrack for it

I playtested a build of this set and it's some really good stuff. Classic-style as fuck, bitesize maps, not too difficult, really cool texture usage that results in some interesting spins on the themes, particularly later on in the set. Decent soundtrack as well that lends its own dark and moody atmosphere very reminiscent of Prince's spookier tracks. Thoroughly recommended.

This was fun. Felt more like an E2-E3 episode. If you really meant it as an E1 replacement, then I really want to see what your idea of E3 will be.

Good mechanics. Maps felt like they were thought out and planned, rather than "What can I fit in here?"

FYI: Remember that doors open to 4 units below ceiling height. One spot (don't remember where), a closet door opened and the Shotgunner couldn't exit. I couldn't enter to grab his dropped ammo. Don't think that was intentional. In short sectors, dropping a wall to the floor is probably a better option.

-------
E1M3
-------
Secret exit area is tagged secret. So is the sector with the secret switch. Odd. If you really want both, (a secret inside a secret), then add some goodies to the first area and hide the switch sector.

-------
E1M4
-------
Two Spectres never teleported in. They're tagged deaf.

Should probably have a sign or some indicator that the exit is an exit and not another teleport.

-------
E1M5
-------
Inescapable death pit. Hate those. Also hate forced pickups (ammo in front of switches or in middle of path).

Linedef tag 9, which lowers the Box of Shells secret - switch sector is also tagged secret for no reason. If you really meant it to be a secret, it can't be scored because it's too narrow to fully enter.

Hidden Blue Armor has no hint. Not tagged secret, either. Odd.

-------
E1M6
-------
Blur Sphere secret area tagged as two secrets.

-------
E1M7
-------
Rocket Box secret area (linedef tag 12) tagged as two secrets. Not sure why it's a secret at all. Obvious switch on the wall.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Also really liked the music. Good stuff!

15 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

This was fun. Felt more like an E2-E3 episode. If you really meant it as an E1 replacement, then I really want to see what your idea of E3 will be.

Good mechanics. Maps felt like they were thought out and planned, rather than "What can I fit in here?"

FYI: Remember that doors open to 4 units below ceiling height. One spot (don't remember where), a closet door opened and the Shotgunner couldn't exit. I couldn't enter to grab his dropped ammo. Don't think that was intentional. In short sectors, dropping a wall to the floor is probably a better option.

-------
E1M3
-------
Secret exit area is tagged secret. So is the sector with the secret switch. Odd. If you really want both, (a secret inside a secret), then add some goodies to the first area and hide the switch sector.

-------
E1M4
-------
Two Spectres never teleported in. They're tagged deaf.

Should probably have a sign or some indicator that the exit is an exit and not another teleport.

-------
E1M5
-------
Inescapable death pit. Hate those. Also hate forced pickups (ammo in front of switches or in middle of path).

Linedef tag 9, which lowers the Box of Shells secret - switch sector is also tagged secret for no reason. If you really meant it to be a secret, it can't be scored because it's too narrow to fully enter.

Hidden Blue Armor has no hint. Not tagged secret, either. Odd.

-------
E1M6
-------
Blur Sphere secret area tagged as two secrets.

-------
E1M7
-------
Rocket Box secret area (linedef tag 12) tagged as two secrets. Not sure why it's a secret at all. Obvious switch on the wall.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Also really liked the music. Good stuff!

Thanks pal, ill write these down to fix for Goetia 2!

Played all through on UV, i think there is a lot of potential.

I liked the atmosphere, a lot

I liked the music

I didn't like the fact that it was really easy, i died just once cause i was scratching my back during a caco trap

i liked that i was constantly at 30 % / 50 % life, giving me the constant need to watch my back, even though, in the end, i didn't really need it.

For the architecture part: i too see a lot of romero, and i enjoyed that, but i think that textures use was a little too random, as for allignment.

Secrets and resources in general were very well placed.

There was flow, and mons were at the right place most of the time.

Thank you for sharing!

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

tib_ i played all through goetia 1, it was fun, thank you for making it

no, thank YOU for taking time out of your day to play my wad, it means a lot to me.

Just finished this myself about an hour ago; an excellent overall episode 1 replacer. It feels like a nice mishmash of all the best parts of Deimos, Inferno, and Thy Flesh Consumed in an unholy chimera, that somehow works well: I especially like how the bloody ritual theme is prevalant throughout the levels and it is used very atmospherically, though I did end up changing my shaders away from Doom Classic to Normal as a few bits were pitch black like that.

Its also nice and refreshing to find a set at this well-balanced level of difficulty at HMP that I can have a romp through without constantly dying. Some people like that but I don't, I feel its a shame alot of modern wads have gone in that direction. So MASSIVE props for that and please ignore all the doomgods saying its too easy (or at least take them with a pinch of salt when making the next episode).

I'd say the only quibble I have is that sometimes theres a fair bit of backtracking and headscratching, because often a switch or key is at a dead end, and rather than naturally having the level flow from one part to the next, you pause and have to figure out whats going on. I mean, not everything can flow like Scythe, but it was quite noticeable. Still, it wasn't enough to detract from the overall enjoyment.

Finally, the Phobos Anomoly inspired Map 08 was a very good tribute to that, and worthy of being an episode capper. Good job!

Just finished the whole set. It was a solid and fun experience, with some ideas asking to be developed more, but still enough to be quite fun. The later levels were better than the earlier ones, IMO. The first 3 ones felt too cramped and small, although there was lot of stuff I've enjoyed, such as the light combat (without bulky monsters), different layout shapes, really cool interconnections, good use of verticality and light variations. From map 4 on, there was more space to breath, some cool setups and a little more developed ideas. My favorite was the last level, although I was expecting to fight a cyberdemon after killing the barons haha

On a not-so-good side, I felt the texturing was a bit too random and the levels overally didn't carry a strong concept. They all felt a bit of the same (although solid!) with rooms and corridors joining and interconnecting each other without some overall goal. The modest scope also didn't help much to enhance the experience, where most maps were mostly linear, short and fairly easy. Normally easier levels focus the experience on something else, such as beautiful landscape, more robust layouts (which doesn't means detailed) or some focus on exploration/puzzles, or even a pure vanilla experience. The gameplay is very solid, with great balance, but I felt missing something more.

It would be cool to try some little more ambitious ideas, and work on a stronger concept (it can be anything, such as a limited texture scheme, or some monster gimmick, a central setpiece, or some archtectural elements which is present on lots of places), there's a lot of potential to create some wild stuff here haha

Here's my playthrough (should be avaliable in 2 or 3 hours):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6cz79f0Jew