Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DynamiteKaitorn

(Mini) GZDooM Model Limit?

Question

So I've been implementing models into GZDooM for a while now but I wonder, is there a hard cap on models or can you make so many models that literally every thing could be made 3D?

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

So I've been implementing models into GZDooM for a while now but I wonder, is there a hard cap on models or can you make so many models that literally every thing could be made 3D?

If there's a limit for sprites, I would assume models would be the same amount since you're essentially tricking the engine into loading a model instead of a sprite.

Take a look at Enjay's Gene-Tech: Before the Storm, which uses only models for actors and an abundance of dynamic lights. All things rumored to slow down the game.  On a weak computer system that may be the case.

My system is thus:

• AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
  • 16GB DDR3 RAM
  • 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

which is several years old and by today's standard an old clunker, but still performs reasonably well.

Edited by Kappes Buur : grammar

My PC was cutting edge 4-5 years ago. Today I do not really have any problems with any mods, incl mentioned above Gene-Tech.

It might lag a bit on Android though.

Your more likely to run into simple limits of your hardware rendering the models over the in-game limit.   Models tend to look pretty crap without dynamic lights too, so using lots of them will impact FPS as well.

Bear in mind though that the models are only rendered, they aren't physically present in the game.  As far as the game is concerned, they're still rectangular cuboids of a fixed radius and height.  Thing on Thing interaction is also pretty basic (there's no friction between things for example), so models are really only best used for looking nice, but not acting as any physical geometry.