Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Erik Alm's Europa 1

I'm playing through one of Erik Alm's earliest Doom wads, Europa 1, and so far, I'm trying to get all 15 secrets. While I was able to get some of them, most recently one with the two backpacks that require some insane straferunning, I can't seem to figure out the last few. One is at the northern section where you have to go up the raised blood canal for a soul sphere that seems inaccessible in the lower difficulties as you could use an arch-vile to jump you up to it, and the others are near the end where you hit a switch to lower a pillar while avoiding getting spotted by the cyberdemon and baron. I tried firing up the DoomEd level editor to find clues, but it crashes every time I load up the map due to all the number of sectors and things, and I tried searching YouTube for a UV-max, but the only video available is just a speedrun by dew with no secrets found. Anyone who has played the map and found the secrets, please leave your comments.

14 hours ago, Memfis said:

May I recommend a more modern editor?..

I appreciate the suggestion, but it would save me a lot of trouble if someone can tell me how to obtain those secrets without having to resort looking up through a level editor.

I thought maybe I'd give it a shot and explain it to you. I can't remember that map at all, so I opened it in DoomBuilder and there's a million trigger effects going on! Honestly, it would take me longer to explain here than it would for you to just download, install and fire up DoomBuilder yourself.

7 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

I thought maybe I'd give it a shot and explain it to you. I can't remember that map at all, so I opened it in DoomBuilder and there's a million trigger effects going on! Honestly, it would take me longer to explain here than it would for you to just download, install and fire up DoomBuilder yourself.

Whoa! I knew that map would be so complex, but damn! While I'm able to beat the map once figuring the safer teleporter to start from and managed to find 5 of the 15 secrets, it's just the remaining 10 that I couldn't figure out. (9 of them are the 3 indentions in the ending maze with the cyberdemon and baron, and 1 is the blood canal at the north section where you can get a soul sphere, which on HMP and beyond, you can get to with an arch-vile assisted jump, but after looking at the layout of the map, there's a couple of unseen linedefs which if I don't know either mean nothing or could hint out stairs) Thing is that it doesn't say on the Doom wiki how to get to any of the secrets, it only says how many there are in total and their sector numbers.

Edited by T-Rex

5 hours ago, T-Rex said:

Thing is that it doesn't say on the Doom wiki how to get to any of the secrets, it only says how many there are in total and their sector numbers.

Heh, with so many things to document and cover (new movie, game,...), understandable when a non Cacoward-winning map hasn't been written in detail. Those secret totals and sector numbers are easy to fill cause they are statistics. Writing how to get to them is a bit too complicated for a bot to do it, and as mentioned current active human users have many things to do now. 

That's why it's a wiki though: anyone can help, maybe you can start by filling in descriptions on where the secrets in this particular map are ;)

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

Heh, with so many things to document and cover (new movie, game,...), understandable when a non Cacoward-winning map hasn't been written in detail. Those secret totals and sector numbers are easy to fill cause they are statistics. Writing how to get to them is a bit too complicated for a bot to do it, and as mentioned current active human users have many things to do now. 

That's why it's a wiki though: anyone can help, maybe you can start by filling in descriptions on where the secrets in this particular map are ;)

Well, since you suggested that I describe the secrets I could find, here's the first five. Dunno the sector numbers though. ^^;

- Secret #1: In the east section of the map after you take the first teleporter on your left at the start. hit the switch that triggers the stairs, then hit it again as it will make the stairs lower down, revealing an indention holding a mega armour.

- Secret #2: In the east section outdoor where the slime fall is. Climb all the way up to the top, then using the bit of rock at the edge, race over the huge slime pool across the series of platforms that start lowering as you step on them. With the right momentum, you should land on the circular platform (secret area) holding the megasphere. Because the lowering platforms before it don't raise back up, you won't get a second chance if you miss.

- Secret #3: In the west corridor before the main northern central area, shoot the middle green face. It will open a door behind you revealing an imp and shotgun ammo (secret area). Enter the small sector however will cause the wall in front to open up, revealing another imp and a couple of medikits.

- Secrets #4 and #5: In the middle south area behind the fast-moving elevators, go up the stairs, hit the switch, run, get near and hump the nearmost green baron of hell face wall, then run as fast as you can before the way out closes up, quickly rush for the two backpacks that are accessible only for a short time and enter the small cubby where the baron came from. It holds the red skull key. The cubby is two sectors and count as two secrets.

That's all the ones I can get by now. The other 10, I have no idea, though with the soul sphere blood canal secret, you can have an arch-vile blast you up to it, though only on the higher difficulties. The other nine secrets are in the baron and cyberdemon maze leading to the exit. It seems as if the three suspended platforms count as three secrets, each one containing goodies, one holding an invulnerability orb, another holding a megasphere, and the last one holding a BFG9000. These are the secrets I'd need to know how to reach.

I realize I'm bumping this thread here but it's important, since I've managed to figure all this out and it's now documented on the wiki. @T-Rex the first five secrets you've described are accurate (and #2 you do have only one shot). Regarding the blood canal soul sphere secret, it IS possible to get without an arch-vile jump, you just have to be extremely precise with a straferun towards the blood canal, which took me a number of tries. So that's the first six secrets out of the way. As for the other 9 secrets, well I've got a few things to show.

nhi1Fgd.png

This room right in the middle shows three keys equaling something, so yellow keys equal the BFG, red keys equal an invulnerability, and blue keys (not seen in this image but it's in the same area) equal a megasphere. These of course correlate to two things, one being the fact that you need three keys to get each item and also the other being these secrets when you get to the second-to-last area past the three key doors. While I didn't cover how to get each and every single key on the page I'll go ahead and explain more in-depth in this thread.

First the red keys. These allow you to get the invulnerability:

Spoiler

-One red key is just north of what you described as Secret #1 in the field, on top of a metal pole. Getting on the bridge near this pole and hitting the switch at the end lowers it, easy enough.

-Next red key is where Secrets #4 and #5 (on your post) described.

-Last red key you can find by taking the lift west of what you described as Secret #3 up, then to the north you'll see a red key and a soul sphere (both are actually unobtainable). Hit the switch between their cages and take the teleporter that appears, then head north into the large room to get a red key and a soul sphere in that big room.

Next are the yellow keys which allow you to get a BFG9000 and cell charge pack:

Spoiler

-At the northwest end, make sure you have at least one blue key, then open that blue door on the west side and quickly get to the east side of the metal platform nearby, hit the lion switch, then go back into the door and to the east wall, where you should ride up. Get the plasma gun here and the bars near the south entrance open, which has this yellow key.

-This yellow key is located in the area with the switches to get Secrets #4 and #5, on the right platform. You go to the middle marble wall in the south hall and it will open, revealing a switch, raising a bridge between the two round platforms. You can lower the left platform and then cross to the right to get this yellow key.

-This last key honestly is a real pain in the neck and I do not have a clue how to legitimately get it so here's a screenshot to help:

UvWasTy.png

This is just south of the blood canal secret, the YK is just before the dropoff point which has the switch for the lifts. You take them up, head west, then there's two switches I have circled in red. Both will lower the YK platform, but these are S1 Lift Lower Wait Raise, so they only work once, and you only have two chances. My problem with this is that after you hit one switch you have to make a really precise angled jump from the area just right of the switch you press to the door (because the door is above the ground below), and there's a metal bar nearby. I have not been able to get this one legitimately.

And finally the blue keys, which allow you to get a megasphere in the second-to-last area:

Spoiler

-One just sits out there in the northwest area.

-In the southwest area you hit the switch at the southernmost end, then quickly run to the center and to the north end of the center structure to get this blue key.

-At the easternmost area:

9VAgZhv.png

At the highest part of the easternmost end (near where Secret #2 is) face west and shoot at the demon face at the west side of this image, then quickly run east to where the door is (which stays open for only four seconds, you thankfully can shoot the face again if you mess up). When inside the shack past the door, you hit the lion switch, leave the shack, and quickly run west of it, dropping into the slime below to get the blue key from the lowered pole before it rises. Once again, this is another switch that is S1 Lift Lower Wait Raise, so there is only one shot at getting this key.

So yes, you need three red, yellow, and blue keys to get those nine secrets at the end of the level. The worst part is that two of them are permanently missable (one yellow and one blue) and the yellow key in particular I still don't have a clue how to make that precise jump to the door without fucking it up. But yeah, that's how to get these other nine secrets (there are trigger linedefs over each of the nine keys which lower the corresponding walls in those secrets too by the way). Hopefully this'll help.