Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Berserk charge?

Is it my imagination, or does the berserk fist do more damage when running at an enemy then when standing still? It seems like I gib imps more often when I'm running towards them using the punch then when I punch them standing still. I've never been able to tell for sure though. Anyone else noticed this?

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I don't know whether the damage code for the beserk fist is set for that, but it wouldn't surprise me. After all, wouldn't most people initially charge around with the beserk fist? :p

Not sure, but quirks like that are not unheard of. At doom2.net, for instance, there's a study that seems to show that "swing shots" with the SSG cause a bit more damage than if you shoot with your unmoving gun aiming straight.

myk said:

Not sure, but quirks like that are not unheard of. At doom2.net, for instance, there's a study that seems to show that "swing shots" with the SSG cause a bit more damage than if you shoot with your unmoving gun aiming straight.

Only if you can hit anything while moving :-P

i still remember the day i discovered that the berserk effect don't run off when the screen isn't red anymore... *blush*

The old topic returns.
The weapons' damage FAQ.

myk said:

At doom2.net, for instance, there's a study that seems to show that "swing shots" with the SSG cause a bit more damage than if you shoot with your unmoving gun aiming straight.

Which is, even in the best case, a speculation.

You know, I've felt this too, but I've found no such feature explicitly coded in DOOM. It seems that the damage for the punch is totally random.

You could make some arguments about probability and the such (I will not here for the sake of my own sanity, however). It could even be some quirk of the random number generator -- perhaps when you're running the calls tend to favor larger numbers, but this would be very odd indeed since it would be totally unintentional.

I think we need an empirical study on this, eh? Maybe the next version of Eternity will have a console command to enable a numerical display of the damage done by the berserk fist. That way you could keep track of the amounts and see if they do indeed tend to be higher when you're running.

About the swinging ssg. I've always felt this, it actually effected my playing to always twirl the mouse when firing to get the desired effect. ;)

Gilgamesh said:

i still remember the day i discovered that the berserk effect don't run off when the screen isn't red anymore... *blush*

It says the effect last until the end of the level in the damn manual. I won 20 bucks from a stupid friend of mine who didn't believe me.