Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The-Heretic-Assassin

The Doom Movie is Canon?

Recommended Posts

You talk about the old movie with The Rock or the new one in production.
Personally, I don't care if it's cannon or not, the movies,books and comic are just derivatives products.
Don't worry about them but if you want them in your own cannon, why not.

Share this post


Link to post

For real though everything is made up. DOOM, Star Wars, Warhammer, whatever. You what's canon? World War 2 was canon. Everything elese can be whatever as long as you whine loudly enough and ignore everyone else. Luke Skywalker is gay and Orks will destroy the imperium of man because I said so and it's all made up anyway. If you take any of what I said seriously or get mad and try to argue with me, you need therapy. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, FrenchGuy said:

You talk about the old movie with The Rock or the new one in production.
Personally, I don't care if it's cannon or not, the movies,books and comic are just derivatives products.
Don't worry about them but if you want them in your own cannon, why not.

The one with Dwayne Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, MaxTrevors said:

For real though everything is made up. DOOM, Star Wars, Warhammer, whatever. You what's canon? World War 2 was canon. Everything elese can be whatever as long as you whine loudly enough and ignore everyone else. Luke Skywalker is gay and Orks will destroy the imperium of man because I said so and it's all made up anyway. If you take any of what I said seriously or get mad and try to argue with me, you need therapy. 

Woah friend, I was just wondering.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Someone on the Doom Discord said it's now canon because of Doom 4's alternative universes. It isn't canon to the games, right?

LMAO of course it isn't canon! And whoever said that it is should get their neurons recalibrated big time.

Share this post


Link to post

The question of canonicity of certain material within a franchise is certainly legitimate (even though in practice it might be largely irrelevant), but considering that the plot of the 2005 movie is absolutely incompatible with the plot of any of the games it can hardly be canon even by the most lax definition of the term.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

LMAO of course it isn't canon! And whoever said that it is should get their neurons recalibrated big time.

SURE IT IS!

imagination.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

I'm probably completely alone in thinking this, but I like to believe an approximation of the movie's events are canon, and they correspond the incident where Doomguy beat up his superior officer for ordering him to fire on civilians.

Share this post


Link to post

Until something official statements are issues I'll very much doubt this.

 

That movie to become canon after the poor reception and all the changes it did is highly questionable. There is a possibility that the events that took place in that movie could become canon if that would be the case, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I'm probably completely alone in thinking this, but I like to believe an approximation of the movie's events are canon, and they correspond the incident where Doomguy beat up his superior officer for ordering him to fire on civilians.

This makes sense.

Though it probably didn't happen as portrayed in the movie.

Whether it's actually canon is ambiguous, because I don't think there's a concrete "canon" for the Doom series except Doom-->Doom II-->Final Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MaxTrevors said:

For real though everything is made up. DOOM, Star Wars, Warhammer, whatever. You what's canon? World War 2 was canon. Everything elese can be whatever as long as you whine loudly enough and ignore everyone else.

If what you're trying to convince people of is that anything which is fictional cannot be actual canon, because it's fictional, then you don't know what the word "canon" means when put in the context of fiction. Here's a pretty decent definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure id Software would rather you not remember the Doom movie, so I have no idea why they would cement it as canon. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

I'm probably completely alone in thinking this, but I like to believe an approximation of the movie's events are canon, and they correspond the incident where Doomguy beat up his superior officer for ordering him to fire on civilians.


This does makes sense if you consider that Ultimate Doom actually takes place on Phobos and Deimos (or Tei Tenga, or whatever).
It doesn't makes sense if you consider they reorganized the base to research teleportation technology, and only several years later Doomguy was sent there.

 

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

This makes sense.

Though it probably didn't happen as portrayed in the movie.

Whether it's actually canon is ambiguous, because I don't think there's a concrete "canon" for the Doom series except Doom-->Doom II-->Final Doom.


Final Doom isn't canon. It's just Team TNT's fanfic which id saw an opportunity to monetize.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If what you're trying to convince people of is that anything which is fictional cannot be actual canon, because it's fictional, then you don't know what the word "canon" means when put in the context of fiction. Here's a pretty decent definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

I know what it means and it's stupid.

Share this post


Link to post

Not only is it not canon, it probably cannot be canon - Universal owns the film rights to Doom, and presumably, they own the rights to the original elements of the movie. if id for whatever reason wanted to bring Reaper and Sarge back to the game or whatever, they would probably need to come to an agreement with Universal to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Let's see now...

  • The Doom Movie contains some weird 24th pair of chromosomes that turns people into mutants but only if they are bad (or something. I didn't get far enough in to the movie)
  • The BFG is the Bio Force Gun
  • The BFG fires blue stuff instead of green plasma
  • No demons in sight (*citation needed)

In light of all these points, I'd say...

YEAH! It seems like it's totally canon!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Let's see now...

  • The Doom Movie contains some weird 24th pair of chromosomes that turns people into mutants but only if they are bad (or something. I didn't get far enough in to the movie)
  • The BFG is the Bio Force Gun
  • The BFG fires blue stuff instead of green plasma
  • No demons in sight (*citation needed)

In light of all these points, I'd say...

YEAH! It seems like it's totally canon!

You probably should've finished the movie

The Rock calls it the big fucking gun

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

You probably should've finished the movie

The Rock calls it the big fucking gun

It's not the, "Bio Force Gun" or Big umm...you know. It's the Big Fragging Gun. =)

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

It's not the, "Bio Force Gun" or Big umm...you know. It's the Big Fragging Gun. =)

But do they both fit into one Big Fragging Canon?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MaxTrevors said:

But do they both fit into one Big Fragging Canon?

BFC? We have that here in Bangladesh. It sells the Best Fried Chicken.

Share this post


Link to post

DOOM 4 retroactively made everything canon. Including UAC Military Nightmare and wow.wad.

 

Let that sink in.

Share this post


Link to post

I was planning on watching the DOOM movie (2005) either today or in a couple days. I'm pretty sure I won't like it, based on what I heard. But I'm going to at least watch it before I form my own opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 2016 showed there are infinite different dimensions.  So I like to think the events of the Doom movie are canon, in the sense a series of events took place that were completely unrelated to Hell and Doomguy, but if Doomguy stepped through the right teleporter he would find himself in that universe.

 

Share this post


Link to post

By that logic, isn't everything from every fictional universe canon in Doom?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×