Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question

Im trying to make a wad in doom builder using the zdoom doom in udmf format however i have no idea how to make a switch or walk over line work i know how to make them work in other formats but not in udmf. i checked tutorials but i haven't seen any involving walk over lines or switches is there some other guide to help me?

14 answers to this question

Doors in udmf are a bit tricky to learn from as they have both a lot more customizability and convenience features built in. Basically this means that with all the options there can be more of an intimidation feeling of not knowing what is critical, added with the invisible conveniences can make it tough to know what you did right or wrong, or what exactly you are doing in the total picture.

That said, generic doors in udmf do not require a tag if their affected sector is associated with one of the trigger's sidedef's; in other words if a line touches a sector it can make it move with no tag needed, like if you walk up to a door and press use on it to open it. However tags are still needed for sectors that are not attached, like if you had a switch that opens a door across the room.

Here is a pic that should show everything necessary for making a basic, functional door:

gTNnpRs.png

Edited by Fonze

Select an action on a linedef.

Click on ''When player walks over'' or ''When player presses use''.

Done.

Hmm apologies, i must've read the OP wrong, heh, but in that case you need to set a tag for the linedef, as well as one for the sector.

Post a pic; it should be as easy as drawing or selecting a line the player can walk over, then setting the tag for the linedef, flag when player walks over, then set tag on sector. If these are all right then you are doing something else wrong, like trying to work a door with adjacent sectors blocking it from raising.

Also, instead of just saying "I know how tags work" and "I know how doors work" (which obviously you don't or you wouldn't be asking this question) try clarifying the question/situation in the future, because that really makes me want to be like "ok well I guess you got it good luck!"

7 hours ago, genericpainelemental said:

Im trying to make a wad in doom builder using the zdoom doom in udmf format however i have no idea how to make a switch or walk over line work i know how to make them work in other formats but not in udmf. i checked tutorials but i haven't seen any involving walk over lines or switches is there some other guide to help me?

I'm not surprised that you have difficulties with this, since Doom Builder has no configuration for UDMF.

The first inklings of UDMF(ormat) support came in Doombuilder2 r196 and have been updated ever since with each new version throughout the Doom Builder family of editors. It always helps when the person asking for help tells us which programs, specifically which version thereof, are involved.

Enable UDMF in Preferences (F6) by providing a tickmark beside the mapping format and then selecting the Resources, Testing engine and Modes.

Then construct a door

• the easy way 
  • or with walk over triggered linedefs (you have to set appropriate tags linking the action with the door sector) fOL0ovF.png
  • or with press use triggered switches (you have to set appropriate tags linking the action with the door sector) 8aIJBok.png
  • or with Sector Actions like Actor enters sector ZxCiUgq.png

Edited by Kappes Buur : added screenshots

Congrats first off :)

Well why don't you be a dear and try clarifying what you need help with instead of making useless 10-word comments that clarify little-to-nothing. Tell us more about what's going on, provide screenshots, or just post the wad and I'm sure somebody will be along to hold your hand further.