Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guardsoul

E1M3 - Toxin refinery remake (Version 1.1 released!)

I do vaguely remember seeing one or two of these shots in the pics thread; they look nice :) Best of luck as you wrap up the map and move on.

There's a part of me that says you can't really improve on the IWAD maps, and most kinds of heavy-duty detailing I find to be a bit silly, but this looks absolutely amazing. Very tasteful use of Cagetex.

I approve immensely. I'll certainly find the time to play this. Do find a better sky, though! :P

27 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

This is lit. I'd like to see the whole E1 done like this.

Knee-Deep In ZDoom, no?

36 minutes ago, AL-97 said:

Knee-Deep In ZDoom, no?

No KDIZD has nothing on this. For one this is still extremely detailed but the visuals are clean, and unlike KDIZD this doesn't seem to suffer from the problem where detail gets in the way of the player's movement. So I look forward to playing this :>

On 8/30/2019 at 11:21 PM, Loud Silence said:

Will it work in Eternity Engine? It supports UDMF.

I´ll need to give it a try and check if it works.

We keep making progress, more rooms completed and the release date is nearer.

Screenshot_Doom_20190904_150141.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190904_150229.png

Adding the final rooms to the map. If everything go as planned, the map should be released by the end of next week.

Screenshot_Doom_20190917_205219.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190917_205250.png

Absolutely spiffing map that keeps on giving the more you explore, I implore you drop anything you're doing and play this right now! Good gravy it's a perfect balance between gameplay, looks, faithfulness to E1M3 with recognisable areas and oh so very modern with juicy ambience and groovy effects. Definitely looking forward to future content, I'm fascinated to see what you come up with next. 

Replaced the watersplash actor with the green particle fountain since there were some complaints about the performance. The new version is now available.

Amazing work! I just played it last night and really enjoyed it. can't wait to see more maps from you. Keep it up!

E1M3 is my favourite map, so I was obviously really excited to play this and it didn't disappoint : ) The mood was fantastic, great use of lighting and sounds. The music by Salvatore Simone was a great touch. I had a lot of fun playing through this a bunch of times. I hope you continue to re-make maps, E1M1 would be interesting!

I think this is what people wanted for Doom 3.

Hey Guardsoul, I finished the map with the secret exit and I thought it was a faithful, excellent remake of E1M3 but I got two issues with it, minor issues but here we go:

1. In the blue keycard room, make it so the light comes back online after 10 seconds, even to 64/96 brightness, navigating in full dark is not fun :P

2. Why are there radsuits in a secret that you need to go back, in one secret part of the map, with the sewer system.

This is the kind of a E1M3 remake I wanted to see in KDIZD instead of what we go back then. Also, nominated it for Cacowards just FYI

2 hours ago, Diego Ignelzi said:

Wow you have done a great job. I think this deserves a Cacoward.

I totally agree

This is an incredible GZDoom map. Tasteful use of visual effects such as translucency and dynamic lights; huge layout that's still easy to navigate even with all of the secrets and great, fast-paced game play using the standard E1 cast. I assumed that jumping and crouching were left intentionally activated. I only needed crouching for one thing and jumping for a couple - all secrets.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. Right up there with the best I've played from the ZDoom community, I actually think this map benefits from restricting the DECORATE usage to special effects. A great mix of old-school game play and UDMF features.

First of all, I applaud you for taking the 130 monster count (classic on UV) to nearly 600, without adding monster types who weren't in the original e1m3.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said -- the map is gorgeous, and all of the UDMF features are on great display and used in subtle, effective ways. The encounters are fun, though not terribly innovative, there's just an overall exciting run-and-gun vibe to the whole thing that feels very satisfying to play.

The use of Doom 3 sound effects were a highlight for me. They added as much atmosphere to the map as any of the visual effects, and together, it all just created this wonderful experience -- if I ever imagined a cross between classic Doom and Doom 3, this would be it.

I'm awfully tempted to throw down a gauntlet here for you...

I'd absolutely love to see you tackle a remake of either The Factory, Downtown, or Industrial Zone from Doom II.

Dude you need to remake all of the doom levels, this is fucking amazing

I really appreciate all the comments in this thread, you are all the best!

Now let's answer some questions:

On 10/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, Alter said:

Hey Guardsoul, I finished the map with the secret exit and I thought it was a faithful, excellent remake of E1M3 but I got two issues with it, minor issues but here we go:

1. In the blue keycard room, make it so the light comes back online after 10 seconds, even to 64/96 brightness, navigating in full dark is not fun :P

2. Why are there radsuits in a secret that you need to go back, in one secret part of the map, with the sewer system.

This is the kind of a E1M3 remake I wanted to see in KDIZD instead of what we go back then. Also, nominated it for Cacowards just FYI

1. Not the first time I'm told that. In the next version I'll add some extra emergency lights to guide the player.
  2. This was a suggestion by one of the testers since I was rewarding the same stuff in several secrets.
  3. Thank you for the nomination!
23 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

First of all, I applaud you for taking the 130 monster count (classic on UV) to nearly 600, without adding monster types who weren't in the original e1m3.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said -- the map is gorgeous, and all of the UDMF features are on great display and used in subtle, effective ways. The encounters are fun, though not terribly innovative, there's just an overall exciting run-and-gun vibe to the whole thing that feels very satisfying to play.

The use of Doom 3 sound effects were a highlight for me. They added as much atmosphere to the map as any of the visual effects, and together, it all just created this wonderful experience -- if I ever imagined a cross between classic Doom and Doom 3, this would be it.

I'm awfully tempted to throw down a gauntlet here for you...

I'd absolutely love to see you tackle a remake of either The Factory, Downtown, or Industrial Zone from Doom II.

21 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

^What him said.

I also think some more map remakes would be great.  I'll second a "Downtown" remake.  Or a new "Bloodfalls" 

I'm working with Gardevoir in the Ultimate Doom II megawad remaking all the original Doom II maps (Boom format though) with Bloodfalls being one of my maps :P so check it out as well!

10 hours ago, Vermil said:

Looks good, but the layout is very very similar to the original.

That was the idea!