Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Glowing flats with 3D floors?

Question

I'm trying to use a glowing flat on the floor of a 3D floor control sector but in the map, the glow doesn't apply to the source sector.

Is this unsupported?

9 answers to this question

Looking at the code to see how glows are implemented clearly shows that only the main floor and ceiling can emit them but not 3D floors. The same also applies to Doom 64 style gradients. Doing multiple glows per 3D floor apparently would complicate things too much.

16 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I don't think the glow can work on sloped sectors either, but I'm not sure on that one.

If I read the shader code correcly it uses the actual plane as reference, which means it can handle slopes.

The major caveat here is that this is a shader based feature so it won't work at all on really old hardware.

I don't believe it is. I've attempted to do this with swimmable 3D floors to no avail, only on "solid" flats (as in, non-3D floors).

I don't think the glow can work on sloped sectors either, but I'm not sure on that one.

Unfortunately, the ZDoom Wiki has nothing to say on this matter, only how to make them in the first place.

I haven't been able to get this to work either. 

@Aquila Chrysaetos You can make a glowing flat on a sloped floor but the glow comes out flat starting at the lowest point of the slope (or at least it did for me, i suspect it was coming out at the height of the sector before sloping was applied). So it essentially doesn't work because it looks like balls. I think the only way you could do it would be to make a sloped 3d sector that transfers light inside the sector to the target sector but is completely translucent and have incrementally darker sectors stacked on top of each other much like. Don't quote me on that because I haven't tried it but it sounds like it should work.

You could fake the effect using a gradient brightmap texture.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 7/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, Jerry.C said:

Looking at the code to see how glows are implemented clearly shows that only the main floor and ceiling can emit them but not 3D floors. The same also applies to Doom 64 style gradients. Doing multiple glows per 3D floor apparently would complicate things too much.

Well that sucks ass. That also potentially kills some effects I will need to use once I start adding Doom 64 gradients to my maps. This really needs to be un-complicated and implemented.

A trick I have used before is an invisible non-solid 3D floor with different lighting inside of it. I haven't tried it with colored lighting, but I expect that it would work.

That's similar to what I was thinking too, if a gradient brightmap wall texture is created for the given area and then add some sector color, which could be pulled off as a layered gradient too, then the effect could be achieved, and may end up looking better than expected.

2 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

That's similar to what I was thinking too, if a gradient brightmap wall texture is created for the given area and then add some sector color, which could be pulled off as a layered gradient too, then the effect could be achieved

The only issue with that is brightmaps render onto stuff as fullbright which ignores sector colors on them.

They are fullbright yes but they don't have to be if you mask them making them gray. ~ with translucent texture layers.. and if needed, don't let the surrounding sector touch them..

I agree that it would be a little more work.. you should actually be able to achieve the same effect a different/easier way by using dyno lights in a colored sector (if they were introduced to the render as a square texture/layer instead of a sphere.) but we make due with what we can, while we can.

I know, as is, it should be possible but they also kill frame rate at some point.

So I suppose those are the options:

gradient brightmaps

gradient colored 3d floors

add a bunch of dyno lights/less fps impact the better.

or all of the above 

It's totally possible to pull off the effect, but there's different ways it could be done.

Real issues is, it would be nice to just select the data type and increase its intensity and be done with it (inside a 3dfloors control sector).

So I guess, why not just set a flat to glow and put a 1 unit brightmap flat above its floor, then 3dfloors (same method) above each, gradually being more translucent? 

~ I'm trying to remember when using this method if the thin 1 unit floors had to be 1 unit apart from each other (dead space) or if they are ok now days as is, butted up against one another.

But in the end you might have a half dozen stacked 3dfloors in a given area in the level.

Anyway, there's a few things to take in mind I guess.

Edited by Mr.Rocket