Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dokta Whawee

Suggestion to the Doom Speedrunning community

although I highly disagree with a jumping allowed category I would certainly welcome new categories!

some which fly through my head right now:

segmented runs

uv tyson without 100%

nm tyson

SG & SSG only

hitscan weapons only

11 hours ago, termrork said:

segmented runs

uv tyson without 100%

nm tyson

SG & SSG only

hitscan weapons only

Segmented runs are listed under tas (though there isn't any way to differentiate between them on dsda afaik)

NM Tyson? That isn't possible except in rare cases because the enemies respawn (the requirement is to exit map with all enemies dead). Tyson with -fast is on dsda though (look for GM Tyson).

Runs with weapon limitations are on dsda in various spots, marked with a note and placed in the associated parent category. I've seen a lot of ssg-only maxes. One notable run that immediately comes to mind is Red-XIII's pistol-only demo for plutonia 30.

I assume he means:

"UV Tyson without 100%" = UV Speed using only weapons 1 and 2

"NM Tyson" = NM Speed but using only weapons 1 and 2 (there could also be the additional requirement to achieve at least 100% kills - akin to a Respawn demo)

Otherwise, I am not sure what the intent is. The former would be like a UV Speed or a UV Pacifist on many maps, but would be distinctive on others. The latter depends on whether there is a kills requirement, but would probably feature a lot of setting up infights and watching from a safe distance.

I'm guessing that in the "hitscan only" category you can use the BFG as long as the fireball doesn't hit anything.

It's true that DDQ-style per-level segmented runs have got a raw deal due to them being lumped in with ones with full TAS usage. Kind of a shame. AFAIK the only way to have such runs where the levels can be worked on independently (rather than sequentially) is via TASMBF, which limits the extent to which it could be a team effort. I wonder what ZM's D2/Pl/TNT movie times would be if he could record each level normally but separately.

Usually new category either has something not so fun to do, or is difficult to clear all the confusion. I remember the original Reality means no Plasma Rifle/BFG? However, it's basically a minor category which is not worth putting up except for a message below.