Find results in...
DoomNutts369

DOOM OR DUKENUKEM

DOOM OR DUKENUKEM  

78 members have voted

1. 1. DOOM OR DUKENUKEM

• DOOM
    • DUKENUKEM

Duke and doom have a similar concept, and are both FPS, but that's where the similarities end

I love both but doom was always my fave.  The monster roster in doom was always so varied compared to Duke which basically had lizardmen, 2 types of hitscanner and the spin commander which was kind of like a Cacodemon that fired rockets.  Oh and let's not forget the suicide drones, that were more often than not directly behind doors so they blew up in your face immediately, which was great.  The scenarios seemed more varied and interesting though, and some of the visual effects, such as slopes and destroyable walls added an extra dimension that, for me, made up for the poor combat compared with doom.  With modern source ports allowing the addition of these extra effects to doom, these days Duke doesn't really have a leg to stand on, other than nostalgia reasons and maybe pixelated boob on occasion.

I'll not go into detail about the engine quirks of Duke, but I remember every time I jumped into some water, I always made sure I was away from the edge; it works like a sector portal, and if the destination sector had a pube's width of difference in size, you would be instantly gibbed.  And if you'd not saved for ages that was a real shame

Doom 2 was a nice FPS, but I never really liked the hell theme. I'm more a fan of more realistic themes such as in Duke, Blood or Shadow Warrior.So for me I love Duke Nukem 3D, and I love how easy it is to make Doom feel like Duke! Duke community is almost nonexistent...

1 hour ago, ChrisVR said:

Doom 2 was a nice FPS, but I never really liked the hell theme. I'm more a fan of more realistic themes such as in Duke, Blood or Shadow Warrior.So for me I love Duke Nukem 3D, and I love how easy it is to make Doom feel like Duke! Duke community is almost nonexistent...

Doom with vr?, i dont know that

On 8/1/2018 at 2:06 AM, DoomNutts369 said:

Look both are very good games but only one will stand the test of time but remember they are both very very very kick ass!

Doom won by overkill.

Leaving that aside, i preffer the city levels from Duke 3D better than Hell on Earth's surrealistic fever dreams and even the proper "doom city level" Map 29 Oddissey of Noises from Plutonia.

I prefer Doom over Duke3d, however the Platoon and Starship troopers total conversions for duke3d were amazing and I played them more than Doom TC's (with the possible exception of aliens TC) back in the day. 

Duke Nukem had the better texture set but the level design overall surely had its problems. The main issue here remains the engine. Despite being more modern Build's physics never felt right to me.

I prefer Doom. Duke 3D may have better action, but Doom has a more grim and dark world of dread. Not to mention the simple and more varied levels. 

You know, this thread would've been better as a "BFG VS Shrink Ray" topic. That would be entertaining to see. 

29 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

You know, this thread would've been better as a "BFG VS Shrink Ray" topic. That would be entertaining to see.

Shrink Ray hands down, can't be prosecuted if they can't find your tiny corpse.

Anything behind Doom missed the party, no matter how many charme they might have...

As much as I love Duke Nukem and the build engine, Doom has way better level design and gameplay.