Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirk

Chocolate doom but with better graphics?

I saw on the Chocolate Doom wiki that "the game itself is still rendered at the original 320x200 resolution used by the DOS executables."  Is there a way to get around this?  If not, what would be the best source port to a) emulate the original game as closely as possible, and b) look as good as Gzdoom/Zandronum?

You can mess with the compatibility settings on GZDoom to make the gameplay more closer to vanilla, you just need to turn off other features such as jumping or freelook for a more complete experience, also there's crispy Doom, it's a fork of chocolate Doom with a few others enhancements, including doubling chocolate doom's resolution... Not a lot sure, but it's something.

There's also PrBoom+ and glBoom+, you can use -complevel to make it play closer to vanilla

Edited by DMPhobos

If you want it to look like GZDoom, you should look into playing GZDoom with the compatibility set to Doom (strict). I don't know if that follows all the static limits of the original or not, though, but it would limit some of the GZDoom-specific features that were absent back in the mid-90's.

Otherwise, I think glBoom+ with -complevel 2 is probably your best option.

That depends on what you consider "looking as good as GZDoom". If all you want is a higher rendering resolution, then try Crispy. If you also want some of GZDoom's optional effects such as dynamic lights attached to lamps and fireballs, then it will be harder. GLBoom+ will not have the same enhancements, but is probably your closest bet. You can also try Eternity for another option with high-res support while keeping gameplay largely unchanged (even totally unchanged with the right option).

Another thing to look at is why you want to "emulate the original game as closely as possible". If it's just for playing and you want the same conditions as the original because you don't want to feel like you're "cheating" by having the possibility to snipe monsters at greater distances than 2048 map units and by not having your shots swallowed by the blockmap, that's a thing that the suggested ports will deliver. But if you also include respect for vanilla's harsh static limits because you want to test vanilla compatibility for a map, then there's no real alternative to Choco. 

Edited by Gez : Phone typing is hard

I'd say if you're using a traditional mouse and keyboard setup, PrBoom+/GLBoom+ with the appropriate -complevel parameter is your best bet. Crispy Doom only doubles the resolution and has added a bunch of non-vanilla stuff since I last played it. Doom Classic (id's engine used for the console ports and Doom 3 BFG Edition) triples the resolution but doesn't do widescreen and retains bugs exclusive to the Linux source release, but does have good support for modern controllers.

GZDoom in Doom (Strict) compatibility is an option, of course, it actually plays fairly close to Doom, it just isn't demo-compatible. Its hardware renderer does a better job of mimicking software than GLBoom+, it has a truecolor option for its software renderer, good controller support, Heretic/Hexen/Strife support. You just have to tweak a few options to make it look the part.