Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Plutonia Experiment

August, 2018

8NlGcpq.png

> Download Plutonia
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboard

1. [2] Survived +0 [0:28:41] ZeroMaster010 - "Category 2."
  2. [2] Survived +0 [4:03:16] leodoom85 - How's this for a tortoise and the hare situation? A surprising turn by one of DWIL's relative newcomers.
  3. [2] map30WH-Wilou84 - Tell me how it ends, I can't bear to look!
  4. [2] map23Dime - What, you couldn't have dropped into The Omen exit chamber for old time's sake? Welcome back, Dime. Always a pleasure.
  5. [2] map22Archi - And with that final, calculated "skip", his Mission actually becomes Impossible. (DNF)
  6. [2] map09Beginner - Volunteers to becomes the control group for Roofi's Experiment. Yeah, Mr. Brown! Yeah, science!
  7. [2] map09: Roofi - Takes to the Abattoir to test the solubility of megaspheres in poisonous mud. For science!
  8. [2] map08Breezeep - Snags a much-needed medikit before the revenants—and the mud—snag him.
  9. [2] map04Ancalagon - Too fast for the plumbing to clean the Cage of monsters in time. Drowned in demonflesh.
  10. [2] map04Solmyr - Slips into a pit of spectres after chewing through all the freely available health.
  11. [2] map04: Eris Falling - A disappointing end for Eris as he tries to butter up a slab of mancs and squeeze past with the BK.
  12. [2] map04Anima Zero - Tired of checking all corners of the Cage for danger, Anima decides to make it happen at the center of the bullseye.
  13. [2] map04Aquila Chysaetos - Wanted to catch his breath; caught a revenant rocket instead.
  14. [2] map04Kristian Nebula - Not to be outdone by Anima, throws a rocket at the wall and then backs it up with a quality intercept.
  15. [2] map03NaZa - Hah, it's The Last Crusade in reverse! Throws sand over the soul bridge then tries to spell Jehova with a "J".
  16. [2] map02Urthar - Took a leap of faith at the SOUL BRIDGE but must have prayed to the wrong Casali. Cacodemon admires its handiwork.
  17. [2] map02NoisyVelvet - Pure, unadulterated panic on the [Barry White]SOUL BRIDGE[/Barry White].
  18. [2] map02: Deadwing - Had Dead Wings on the SOUL BRIDGE, covering more distance vertically than ZeroMaster in his entire run.
  19. [3] map02Agent6 - Dario Jones and The Kingdom of the Well of Souls aka the SOUL BRIDGE. Should have kept your eyes on that ball lightning!
  20. [2] map02DaIcemann76 - Tried to play it cool with a baron and a chaingunner, but the pact was sealed.
  21. [2] map01: Jayman - Died to a salvo of rockets while on fire and being perforated with bullets. Welcome to Plutonia :)

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In August 21st, 1945 2018 The Doomworld Ironman League dies to The Plutonia Experiment, -complevel 4 (Doom (strict)). No introduction needed, here; you all have the necessary qualifications. Good luck, and be not the Hunted!

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• None documented, yet.
prboom-plus -iwad plutonia -complevel 4 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate if usable), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Whoops, thanks. Ye olde copy-paste doing me in again.

1 minute ago, Ancalagon said:

this month is a speedrun contest

Kind of! In these sorts of situations I like to think it would become a question of how much pace you're willing to kill for that extra bit of staying power. True speedrunning doesn't care how often you fail before you get the exit, as long as you do get there eventually. But if the whole cadre of runners goes full throttle except for one guy who takes just five, ten minutes off the pace...? I'm sure he'll come out on top.

This one went swimmingly until MAP04 when I got sniped over some stairs by a revenant.

Plutonia-Ironman-AC

I expected to at least make it to MAP05, since everyone and their grandmother has already beaten Plutonia and all the spiritual sequels.

Cat 2, obviously.

14 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

it would become a question of how much pace you're willing to kill for that extra bit of staying power.

The offenders here are the glides, they involve 0% risk and sometimes (map08, map21) skip the whole map. I guess vilejumps sacrifice some hp but there's plenty of that in plutonia and the only hard one is the map12 jump.

Edited by Ancalagon

Unfortunately, I may have to sit this one out this month. Not only do I not have a copy of The Plutonia Experiment (I never actually played it, strange but true!), I don't know that I'll have time this month. Oh well. I've been enjoying the Ironman Challenge. I guess there's always next month.

12 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

The offenders here are the glides, they involve 0% risk and sometimes (map08, map18) skip the whole map.

Ah, yeah, that's true. I had actually forgotten how many there are, here. The Casalis operating on the 32 grid means they're basically in every other level, and I remember watching @Dime clean bowl a lot of the set by bypassing stuff entirely at AGDQ.

I think most players who aren't of the speedrunning mindset are happy just to survive and getting anywhere near the top of a frankly compromised leaderboard in a month like this is more of a bonus. If the IWADs are going to be played—and they always were—this kind of has to be conceded.

And tough luck, @Pegleg! Or good timing, seeing as you don't have a copy—whichever way you look at it. See you next time :)

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

everyone and their grandmother has already beaten Plutonia and all the spiritual sequels.

Some of us have never played them at all.

(actually, I'm pretty sure I played some early versions of the Plutonia levels when they were released as pwads before they were actually a part of Plutonia, but I've never played plutonia.wad)

I see it's complevel 4, does this mean a Choco recording would be out? (Probably a dumbass question but I want to clarify before running into this)

Damn, this is unexpected, we have Plutonia this month.

I'll be back later after making my run :v .

38 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I see it's complevel 4, does this mean a Choco recording would be out?

Choccies are fine, Kiddo. Most demo-doers work with prboom for convenience which is why I lazily copy that line of code over from previous months; if it plays back and doesn't need me to download some backwards alien sourceport she's a-okay. 

I see now that this isn't actually reflected in the list of rules. I'll amend that. Thanks for asking.

After sweeping the first two maps, I fell into a seemingly inescapable damaging pit right at the start of MAP03 thinking there'll be invisible stairs to guide me to the first areas.

It hurts.

Category 2 because I've played Congo a few times in the past and I've watched UglyStru's complete playthrough; mind you it's been quite some time since I've watched it, but I remember stuff from the maps I didn't get to because of... yeah.

plutonia_naza_ironaug18.zip

EDIT: Stru pointed it out in his video. Now I feel stupider.

Edited by NaZa

I'm back and... I am MASSIVELY disappointed by my performance (angry too, but then who even cares beside me). Like @Pegleg would so nicely put it, "another stellar entry". Also, I didn't play with sound this time.

Dead on MAP02 on the notorious bridge, that damned area gets me every time, I haven't managed to figure out an optimal strategy to pass that area as of yet (however, I haven't touched Plutonia since I'd beaten it months ago either).

Category 3 this time, I've finished Plutonia before but I only remember a few areas from various maps and some traps, not the layout, enemy placement, and so on. Pathetic run anyway, I expect to end at the very bottom of the list this time. I see this only serving as proof for something I stated recently, "I could play Doom exclusively, 24/7, and never get good." Well, it shows here.

@Aquila Chrysaetos Don't worry, I died on MAP02.

Spoiler

What? I did say I'm massively disappointed by my performance, didn't I? This is just how I look and sound when I'm disappointed by myself.

agent6 plutonia run.zip

10 minutes ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

cat 2.99999999 I guess, played this for 100's of hours and I've been playing nightmare the last few days, but I guess it's not cat 3 since I didn't practice uv today? heh

Hah, yeah... the system is going to look silly when good folks like yourself are on the scene and WADs like this are selected, but truly blind and prepared runs are two distinct and clearly defined spaces that probably shouldn't have their boundaries muddied unless we want to step onto a slippery slope. No one has practiced to even one hundredth the extent that you have Plutonia any of the previous selections, at least! More boring prattle on this subject can be found in the Oscillation Ironman thread, when the scheme was introduced.

Also holy shit.

Alright, this one Zeromaster HAS to participate in!

Well this is all but the last month I have to win to stand any chance of competing in this year's Britbowl. I can only hope an_mutt and dragonfly die early, as I'm going last for the month yet again. But sheesh, the mixed bag of difficulty that is Plutonia......this will be tough.

EDIT: I didn't realise Zeromaster had already participated in this. Well, it'll be interesting to see if that gets topped.

Edited by Suitepee

I did NOT expect that for the ironman. I'll try it for sure in the weekend. I'm quite familiar with almost all of it.

21 minutes ago, Memfis said:

And now he will lose to some 90 minutes run due to skipping secret maps. :D

It's ok, I didn't need to make it nearly impossible for everyone to win within a few hours of the start anyways, so anyone can still beat this by just surviving :) I'll be happy with not making an idiot of myself and dying to something silly.

@ZeroMaster010disqualified for being the fastest bastard in the game :D

just kidding...there's no way that I can do that faster, still I'll do my best to not fall into the inescapable pits and shit like that...

cue the "I will survive" song