Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Plutonia Experiment

25 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I found it funny that the PSX version of Onslaught (map 10 in PC) has a cybie instead of the chaingunner/archie combo...which can be harder depending of player's approach.

Compared to the other 3 PSX cyberdemons, Onslaught was a pretty awkward environment to be fighting one in :<

19 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

BSBowl? Perhaps I missed something.

Unless it has something to do with the bridge, in which case, I just don't know what the S stands for.

Bird Sessions Bowl :)) as we both organize (in my case, organized) bird-themed speedmaping sessions. 

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I found it funny that the PSX version of Onslaught (map 10 in PC) has a cybie instead of the chaingunner/archie combo...which can be harder depending of player's approach.

It's the last map of Final Doom PSX, they probably wanted to do something that looks like a boss fight.

Category 2

Blinded and disoriented by Archviles sending me to my tombstone.

23+2 secret maps.

21 minutes ago, Dime said:

Category 2

Blinded and disoriented by Archviles sending me to my tombstone.

Unlucky that you got stuck at the monsters thanks to the fucker....

Very impressive work, @leodoom85. Surviving Plutonia is no small feat even with map knowledge, and considering your previous attempts in WADs like Double Impact and 50 Monsters makes it seem all the more special. The Darkening runs weren't too shabby either, though, so maybe this is a new trend!

Curious to see if all the map02 deaths have been front-loaded this month or if we're going to keep dropping corpses into the Well for the next twenty-something days.

7 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Very impressive work, @leodoom85. Surviving Plutonia is no small feat even with map knowledge, and considering your previous attempts in WADs like Double Impact and 50 Monsters makes it seem all the more special. The Darkening runs weren't too shabby either, though, so maybe this is a new trend!

Curious to see if all the map02 deaths have been front-loaded this month or if we're going to keep dropping corpses into the Well for the next twenty-something days.

Looks like it but....at least someone like to prepare the run, there are possible deaths in maps 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10 and every map ahead with a cybie featured...without counting the secret levels...

And thanks for the words too. Still improving indeed for my skills...

btw...those moments which I didn't move was for annoying stuff that breaks me

or to pee lol

Category 2.

Spoiler

Made it to map 30 (including the secret levels), only to die before I could reach the Megasphere guarded by the Cyberdemon and deal with the boss. I don't even know what killed me, seems like it was a Revenant rocket from the side of the map I hadn't cleared yet.
Damn, that was close !

I could've handled map 30 better but it seems the pressure was too high for me. Oh well. :)

I love Plutonia, this has always been one of my favorite IWads.
With its liberal use of mid-tier monsters and packs of Chaingunners here and there, The Plutonia Experiment is several miles ahead of Doom II in terms of difficulty without wandering into the slaughter department (aside from map 32, that is). Plutonia offers one of the finest Doom II arcade experiences and can still pose a threat to skilled players even after all these years.
It also has its own visual identity, with vine-covered structures, temples, and "natural" themes (I won't say "jungle", because there's no real jungle in Plutonia and it's hard to create jungles or forests in Doom anyway).

Plutonia-Ironman-Heh-wh.zip

I've decided to give this a run today, don't normally play any Doom maps on UV so this will actually be a challenge todo. 

EDIT: Is using mouse look with prboom+ actually considered cheating? I thought the engine uses the auto aim regardless of where your actually aiming.

29 minutes ago, Liberation said:

EDIT: Is using mouse look with prboom+ actually considered cheating? I thought the engine uses the auto aim regardless of where your actually aiming.

Using the mouse to look left and right isn't cheating (aka mouselook), but using the mouse to aim upwards or downwards isn't allowed (aka freelook iirc).

bleurgh

dying of heat. too tired to write. cat 2, map08, 38:29. slaughtered on the Lesser Wall of China

somebody write a witty remark about the kup for me

Well, the competition's over now. Bloodite submitted his victory. Everyone go home.

I have to retry, even though my official run was already submitted.

Joking aside, I want to see a faster run.

34 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Almost half of mine...nice.

I wonder who else can do it...

You did well enough to survive! I reckon that's good enough chap.

@WH-Wilou84 Man, that was unlucky haha. Still, getting there isn't a small feat, especially considering that you went through the secret levels as well.

The Cyberdemon in MAP12 killed me... goddammit...

You know, I hadn't had the chance to compare my own skill against others', but the impression I had seems to be pretty accurate: a fairly decent Doom player.

Category 2.

KVELLER_Plutonia_Ironman.zip

12 hours ago, KVELLER said:

You know, I hadn't had the chance to compare my own skill against others', but the impression I had seems to be pretty accurate: a fairly decent Doom player.

Well you survived the bridge, so that makes you better than me :v .

@leodoom85

I finished watching your run.

What an excellent display of bold and methodical gameplay. You have a systematic approach to each fight, selecting a different weapon depending on the circumstance, utilizing the arsenal to it's fullest potential, I can see your quite the fan of the pump action Shotgun ;D using cover and thinking before moving, excellent technique for the bridge fight on 02, you handled Anti-Christ a lot more smoother then myself :P You didn't panic at the brief moments you were bleeding hard, but kept your head on and overcame inexorable odds, 30 was particularly scary ;) also kudos for attempting to go for max kills on most maps, a brave endeavour on a challenging set. It was an entertaining run to watch, congrats and well done :]

On 8/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Well, the competition's over now. Bloodite submitted his victory. Everyone go home.

I have to retry, even though my official run was already submitted.

Joking aside, I want to see a faster run.

Nah, I expect someone else to speedrun this despite Dime's failure, I can think of a few potential candidates ;) or DotW may best me again :]

@Bloodite Krypto

Hey, thanks for the kind words and let's see....shotgun is a versatile, all-around weapon that I take some good use to save ammo. Antichrist is such a weird map...I wanted to pick up the invul sphere but, nah, just kept going anyway because I was really confident that I'd do it.

Map 30 was scary indeed but I managed to kill the fucker and I was focused on the task at hand.

And...you saw the close calls.....ooooof, too close for both occasions.

Also, about the weapons, I like to keep my ammo balanced at all times. :)

oh, forgot to say that I kill almost all of the monsters because I don't like surprises :P