Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Plutonia Experiment

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Also, about the weapons, I like to keep my ammo balanced at all times. :)

Yeah that's what I'm talking about! Balance your ammo distribution equally so your unlikely to run low on a certain type, as an example I sometimes like to soften Barons with 2 to 3 rockets or a volley of plasma, then finish them with the SSG, better then using all 5 rockets on one. Try to save powerups for the end of the map so you can enter the next level refreshed, unless your about to die or need them for a hard fight where your likely to take a beating.

Maybe I shouldn't just try something I've seen in a speed run once. Guess I'll join Archi in getting stuck on Map22, lol.

It was fun while it lasted though. I think if I hadn't messed up like that I could've made it all the way through. I might try anyway, even if it won't count for the leaderboard. Plutonia is such a pleasure to play :)

https://youtu.be/k9A60R3CMns - Cat. 2

Edited by Archvile Hunter : Link added

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6fb3c1ylbgyilr1/DWIronman25_JudgeDeadd-2.lmp/file

MAP02 [Cat 2]

Guess where.

On 8/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, Kristian Nebula said:

Shooting at the weird computer console screen on the left from the entrance to the bridge area reveals the pillars showing the bridge, just in case somebody didn't know :)

I vaguely remembered that you had to shoot at the screen in that area to activate something. I hoped it would open the exit or something ;/

damn....maps 02 and 22 sure does know how to screw up the players left and right

On 8/5/2018 at 4:46 AM, HexaDoken said:

bleurgh

dying of heat. too tired to write. cat 2, map08, 38:29. slaughtered on the Lesser Wall of China

somebody write a witty remark about the kup for me

Unless Dobu or SAV88 joins in, you're probably guaranteed another victory. So I have to reach Map09, is it? That's a tough row to hoe for the Ancient Doomer, but rest assured, I'll stock up on Industrial Strength Geritol and eat 5 bowls of Wheaties before I make my run. I'm coming to get you, Hex!!!! 

Steve. Just be careful of the deadly invisibridge and map 04. Same for cybie in map 06.

Thanks, leo. The main thing for that 02 bridge is to have your RL out and shoot the Revvies immediately . . . and not miss! ;)

I have a Coward's Strategy for 04, and it can work if I survive long enough to get in that room full of Imps and Rockets, and then take out the nearby Cacos and Chaingunners sequentially, and of course not make too many mistakes after that.

As of now, I still haven't played 05, so I hope I get some practice time tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Steve D said:

The main thing for that 02 bridge is to have your RL out and shoot the Revvies immediately . . . and not miss!

looks like you saw my example a bit :D

My general strategy for the bridge was to fire a few rockets towards the Revs (hopefully kill them or damage them a lot), shoot the screen, cross over, SSG the Cacos (and the Revs if they survive) while being safe from the Chaingunners. 

That's the funny thing about that bridge. Those chaingunners never woke up until I faced them at the exit...

33 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

damn....maps 02 and 22 sure does know how to screw up the players left and right

I think Map02 is pretty dangerous at the last part. Actually you can trigger the rising wall and go back and step on it. When it hits the ceiling, it can be lowered by hitting the outside, preventing you from being trapped in there (you can see it here [6:50]. It's in Chinese, but you can basically turn off the audio and see what's happening clearly). Otherwise, it's good to just run across the bridge and get in the last room, which is used in my Reality run (2:55).

I discovered the first strat later than the Reality run, or I would use that because it's more reliable. It's interesting that safe strats can still be discovered after all these time.

I think the dangerous part about Map22 is that lift with Chaingunners on the sides, or the Arch-vile + Barons trap. Funny thing about the latter one, you can bump yourself into the corner of the teleporter with 3 Red Skull bars before lowering it in order to trigger that trap prematurely. I discovered this while I ran around randomly...

So, it's just UV-speed, plus points for secret levels?

Made it to Map04, died to a rouge baron fireball. Was a fun 12 minutes.

Ironman.zip

Edited by Bob9001

The Final Frontier was my final destination (map 24)

Highlights:
1:03:53
2:01:25

2:04:30

2:39:14

I know that wad pretty well but I didn't expected to go that far considering I usualy easily die at the end of map 9 (worst Plutonia design imo).
I forgot to take the secret exit in map 15 because I had the map 19 layout of PRCP in mind and was surprised to find the exit after the Spider Mastermind. It doesn't matter anyway because I did not survived.

Category 2 obviously

Another slab of marine for the abattoir! Dead in the last fight on map09.

Really crapped my daks in this one—or gone to mud, if you fancy a spin on a lesser-known idiom (though I didn't actually fall into the stuff like Beginner and Roofi). I had completely forgotten about those nested chaingunners opposite the entrance and had no idea you could blow their feet off with a few well-placed rockets. Doom physics and all. In my panic I lurched forward with the plasma gun, failing to pick them all off while triggering all of the threats in the room. Died lunging for a medikit, too.

I felt I was performing quite well up until that moment, honestly, so I had another go afterwards and managed to survive up to map22... wherein I Good At Doomed. Perhaps some curiosities are best left unsatisfied.

Just now, Alfonzo said:

I felt I was performing quite well up until that moment, hoenstly, so I had another go afterwards and managed to survive up to map22... wherein I Good At Doomed. Perhaps some curiosities are best left unsatisfied.

Funnily enough, I did the same thing after my Aztec demise.

... I died on MAP02. So I agree with your statement.

Made it to map15 before my ultimate demise. Fuck that level, seriously. Aside, I'm genuinely impressed with how far I made it and how well I managed to handle some really hairy shit. I don't think I've ever done an Ironman so well to date. Don't want to too the horn too hard, but this came as quite the surprise to me.

(As a side note, I am now using PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5, and as a result my autoload wad to replace the secret sound now functions properly. Hopefully this does not disrupt the demo results. I very much doubt it, but just throwing it out there.)

plutner.zip - Category 3

@BasheI bet that there are 2 places that you can possibly died. Or was the revenant/hell knight teleport ambush to the YK area or the mastermind with some archies.

Still, good stuff that you reached that far :)

Recorded with Chocolate Doom, died in Aztec after a "good at Doom" moment with the rocket launcher. Pretty disappointed. Highlights include being indecisive about getting the rocket launcher in Congo, forgetting the red skull in Well of Souls, and a sudden reminder that the PC version of Aztec has Arch-Viles. Heh.

db_plutonia_ironman.zip

^^ Your demo desyncs in -complevel 4. It works just fine in -complevel 2 though.

Accidentally overwritten my old replay, which i died on map 1, too.

I made it to map1, but because i like to be a perfectionist or something, i.. I uh, got killed by the archvile.

I did a blind run, because i do NOT know plutonia, at all.

my_demo.rar

1 minute ago, antares031 said:

Category 2. Died on MAP09, with 1 hour and 7 minutes of gameplay.

You fell in da pit?

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

You fell in da pit?

Nah, It was just an ordinary day with revenants.

I practiced 3 times. I got to the Abattoire twice, and died on caged once. So I have to ask myself, why, why, WHYYY did I go and die like a fucking moron on MAP03? I am not worthy of the Britbowl this month.

Go @Suitepee, go! Beat an_mutt this month, please! :D

Also, for anyone interested, this VOD also features a preview / "public test" of @Bauul's newest Elementalism map. 

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

why, why, WHYYY did I go and die like a fucking moron on MAP03?

I know this is rhetorical but a split second before it happened I wondered how costly stepping into the teleporter with an SSG in hand would be. That's rolling the dice when you land next to an arachontron and you don't get to react immediately. Chaingun/plas or bust, there, I reckon. You can pain chance the sucker while you back out of the hot spot.

Okay @Suitepee, @an_mutt, Plutonia is waiting with open arms. Shoot them off with a shotgun!

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I practiced 3 times. I got to the Abattoire twice, and died on caged once. So I have to ask myself, why, why, WHYYY did I go and die like a fucking moron on MAP03? I am not worthy of the Britbowl this month.

Damn, you sure sound like me when I keep doing stupid mistakes and eventually die in equally dumb ways there :v .