Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: The Plutonia Experiment

@NaZa This is fine and thanks for the continued support! I would just ask that you make sure there are no discrepancies between boards at the end of the month, since a more frequently updated list of runs is probably going to be checked against what's in the OP more regularly and we shouldn't split authority, here. If something gets rubbed out for some reason on this side then it should be mirrored on your end.

7 hours ago, NaZa said:

as every run is posted

Yikes!

Mad work for Naza and nice to see that list for a much better comprehension of who did better or worse than the rest.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:07 AM, Alfonzo said:

I felt I was performing quite well up until that moment, honestly, so I had another go afterwards and managed to survive up to map22... wherein I Good At Doomed. Perhaps some curiosities are best left unsatisfied.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:11 AM, NaZa said:

Funnily enough, I did the same thing after my Aztec demise.

... I died on MAP02. So I agree with your statement.

I've tried three times so far, and I 've died at the Map02 bridge each time.

Oh! I forgot to post my run. Here you go.

Spoiler

Dead on map 08. Which technically means I achieved my goal of not dying to Abattoir. Screw you Dragonfly, Britbowl is mine!

1 hour ago, an_mutt said:

Oh! I forgot to post my run. Here you go.

Hide contents

Dead on map 08. Which technically means I achieved my goal of not dying to Abattoir. Screw you Dragonfly, Britbowl is mine!

Ouch. Not even a mention of good ol' Suitepee.

Maybe John is just setting everyone up, lulling you into a false sense of security, in order to run the table for the rest of the year and claim the Britbowl.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:38 PM, Alfonzo said:
On 8/1/2018 at 11:28 PM, Ancalagon said:

this month is a speedrun contest

Kind of! In these sorts of situations I like to think it would become a question of how much pace you're willing to kill for that extra bit of staying power. True speedrunning doesn't care how often you fail before you get the exit, as long as you do get there eventually. But if the whole cadre of runners goes full throttle except for one guy who takes just five, ten minutes off the pace...? I'm sure he'll come out on top.

Early on, there seemed to be some thinking that this was going to be one of the months where a whole bunch of people finished and it all came down to who could do it most quickly.

After a few days, it seemed like almost everyone was dying early, with almost no one making it far at all. I was going to chime in then, but decided to hold off. I wondered if this month was going to be a big heap of bodies at the beginning and a smaller heap of bodies at the end, with a smattering in between. Now, as we near the end, with all but a few of the usual suspects done, it seems that the early returns have held true (at least, based on NaZa's spreadsheet, since Alfonzo has been lax about updating the official leaderboard--not as lax as last month, of course).

So far, three finishers, one other who made it to the last level, and four more who made it into the 20's. Just over half the players died by map 4. So, unless there is a flurry to change things in the last few days of the month, it seems like Plutonia is very much still: a heap of bodies in the early levels, a few still standing toward the end, and a smattering in between.

I wonder how that bodes for next month?

3 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

So far, three finishers, one other who made it to the last level, and four more who made it into the 20's. Just over half the players died by map 4. So, unless there is a flurry to change things in the last few days of the month, it seems like Plutonia is very much still: a heap of bodies in the early levels, a few still standing toward the end, and a smattering in between.

I wonder how that bodes for next month?

The well of souls already took many marines, while the aztecs made more sacrifices with another group of marines to the sun God and the rest were caged into the hellish realm. Others reached the abattoire painfully.

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

the aztecs made more sacrifices with another group of marines to the sun God

some have fallen prey to the underworld God for not making a sacrifice:))

Dead on map 09 to the final area because i stopped moving since I thought the rev rocket trail was gone for some reason... 

Category 2, played Plutonia for the first time in like 2015 otherwise I've 0nly seen the occasional speedrun of it here and there.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/302576073 = died on map 10 to a chaingunner, category 3 run.

I finally got my first point in the Britbowl this month, just for making it to map 9! I somewhat practiced maps 1-8 to make sure I knew what to expect, then left the rest to my memories of watching speedruns past and my own playthrough a few years ago.

I've kept the Britbowl a 3-way competition for another month at least, although I still need to keep on winning and hope mutt doesn't get any more points for it to stay that way. (I can afford for Dragonfly to win another month, but then the best case scenario would be a 3-way tie....)

Oh, and thanks to @Pegleg for keeping the faith! (alongside others)

@Suitepee Way to go! Team Suitepee is totally behind you! 

So sorry I missed your run, but I'm watching it now and taking notes. You used some sly techniques in the first 5 maps and I hope I can remember them for my run. ;)

Well... Was rather busy last two months, but one sunny day...

Despite the fact that I've walkthroughed and UV-Maxed one of my favourite WADs several times and made first two levels relatively good, this demo features the most glorious and S.T.U.P.I.D. death I've ever seen and got. Finally we have the first "vanilla" month in 18' series, so I ran with no doubt to DOSBox, COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT ORIGINAL DOOM2.EXE VERTICAL SENTIVITY, prepared for a long battle and... accidentally have fallen into unescapable pit at the very beginning of Aztec, LOL VINCE JUST LOOK AT YOU. Impure liquids ((c) CC3 MAP08) again (and again)!

«I never lived in fear

I knew I'd die another day»

(another map here ^)

Achievment unlocked: die on MAP03 with just one touch of mouse. I didn't even know this starting room can kill))0) Really.

Catwo, mapthree, zeromon.

dwipluto.zip

On 8/28/2018 at 2:24 AM, Steve D said:

@Suitepee Way to go! Team Suitepee is totally behind you! 

Hey, isn't plutonia full of revenants? :p

Tomorrow ends the attempts to survive or die plenty for this wad. I'm just waiting the next session :)

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Tomorrow ends the attempts to survive or die plenty for this wad. I'm just waiting the next session :)

Agreed.

According to Naza's spreadsheet, Plutonia is now tied with BTSXE1 as the most popular Ironman (currently 43 players are listed, but it doesn't include Hitherto's run yet, so the total is 44). @Demon of the Well, @RjY, @cannonball, @Scotty, and @Steve D are all regulars that are still outstanding (and @Veinen, too, if he makes his 2nd appearance of 2018), so I would wager that Plutonia will end up standing alone as the most popular Ironman when all is said and done and August is over.

45 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Agreed.

According to Naza's spreadsheet, Plutonia is now tied with BTSXE1 as the most popular Ironman (currently 43 players are listed, but it doesn't include Hitherto's run yet, so the total is 44). @Demon of the Well, @RjY, @cannonball, @Scotty, and @Steve D are all regulars that are still outstanding (and @Veinen, too, if he makes his 2nd appearance of 2018), so I would wager that Plutonia will end up standing alone as the most popular Ironman when all is said and done and August is over.

Not surprising, given that plutonia is one of the Iwads,  so everyone knows it and gives it a try. 

Yeah, Demon of the Well showed a remarkable ability to see through traps and survive unknown maps, (something I'm really lacking at), but he seems to have little time for gaming these days.

@Pegleg I'll be doing my run tomorrow. Didn't want to wait this long, but my workload has been especially brutal the last couple weeks, keeping me away from Doom, as usual. I have done practice runs up to Map09, and there is no point practicing beyond that, because I'll never survive the last fight in one go short of divine intervention. ;D

My main goal at this point is to reach Map05. That's a good map to die on thanks to all the Chaingunners. If I get past that and survive the Cyb in Map06, then Map07 is likely to kill me, though it's not super-hard if you follow the right strategy and avoid costly mistakes. Players with skill can do that. Me, not so likely. ;) Map08 has that nasty set of misaligned column-steps leading to a crucial switch. If I don't make that on the first try, it's over because of the max-damage slime. And then you have to not fuck-up the exit fight. So if I do all that right -- figure the odds! -- I'll die in Map09, even though the last fight is quite beatable using obvious strategies. But it's one thing to know what to do, and another to execute the strategy. It's a bloody fantastic map, though.

So watch me flub the Soul Bridge on Map02. :D  

10 minutes ago, Pirx said:

Yeah, Demon of the Well showed a remarkable ability to see through traps and survive unknown maps, (something I'm really lacking at), but he seems to have little time for gaming these days.

Alas, true.

dead on map08 (familiar/unrehearsed)

Spoiler

MAP01  EXIT  43/46   6    0/0  1/1   5:53+20   5:53
MAP02  EXIT  46/54   8  27/28  0/0   6:08+26  12:01
MAP03  EXIT  45/52   7  11/11  1/1   8:11+01  20:12
MAP04  EXIT  64/64   0  30/30  4/4  11:18+06  31:30
MAP05  EXIT  51/70  22  23/23  1/1   6:18+32  37:48
MAP06  EXIT  54/60   6    3/4  5/6  10:37+21  48:25
MAP07  EXIT  15/34  19    0/1  1/1   1:20+05  49:45
MAP08  DEAD  14/85  71   0/48  0/1   3:42+32  49:45

Some minutes of near motionlessness until the glide caught, then a chaotic few seconds in which the exit pillar didn't lower. Post-mortem analysis suggests the sidestep to avoid the teleportees also took me outside the trigger line.

I often replay randomly chosen plutonia maps, so I felt a practice run would be a waste of time. That may have been a mistake. Taking the whim to do the glide, which I'd never done before, in the exam, certainly was.

Category 3. Keyboard only. Dead on Map02.  http://www.mediafire.com/file/jehk15h5k8bwa8l/HopelessAtPlutoniaSteveD3.zip/file

Well this is . . . this is just pitiful.

I mean, I had it. There I was, at the Soul Bridge, and I did a beautiful job taking out the Revvies with rocket power. I brought the bridge up. I had a clear path, and then . . . 

To paraphrase the lyrics of the old Ted Nugent classic Dog Eat Dog;

"Kamikaze from the hundredth floor, swan dive to the slime."

Not once, but twice!

I don't know. It's like the slime drew me somehow. I was unaccountably misaligned and took a left turn, and that was that. The only time I ever died on this bridge before was my first practice run. Indeed, I sailed through it just yesterday, and was concentrating all my effort on making sure I took the right turn at the start of Map04 and that I had mastered the path to the secret Soulsphere and Blue Armor, so I'd have a better chance of surviving Map05 and maybe catching Hex. I was picturing that Keyboard Kup on my shelf and planning my trash-talk after I won it. Now, here I am eating humble pie once again, a victim of flop-sweat, as usual.

So congratulations, HexaDoken, you've won another Keyboard Kup. But you know what they say, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." So don't get comfortable, Hex! If you hear an electric whine and the swish of tires behind you, it's me, The Ancient Doomer himself, catching up to you in my electric wheelchair. Yes, I watched your run. I knew what I was up against, since you have actual skill. But if you think I'm intimidated, you've got another thing coming! One of these days I won't choke. One of these days I'll practice enough to fly through the kind of situations that stopped me this time. Sheesh, I damn near died to the Revs guarding the RL in Map01. That was my first choke. But next time could be the right time. Once more unto the breach! ;)

On 8/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, Steve D said:

So watch me flub the Soul Bridge on Map02. :D  

20 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Keyboard only. Dead on Map02.

I mean, I had it. There I was, at the Soul Bridge, and I did a beautiful job taking out the Revvies with rocket power. I brought the bridge up. I had a clear path, and then . . . 

"Kamikaze from the hundredth floor, swan dive to the slime."

Well, you called it. At least you can take comfort in that. That and you have company, what with joining all the others souls staring down at the mountain of bodies on that bridge.

By the way, nice job sneaking in right under the wire for this month!